Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Painful To Sit For Very Long

7 posts in this topic

I have been gluten free for over a year and still have trouble sitting up for very long because it is uncomfortable. It feels like a band across my abdomen just below the ribcage where the small bowel is located. This feeling goes away after not eating for awhile like overnight, but during the day it is directly related to eating. Has anyone else had this and did it eventually get better?

Linda B.

Ads by Google:

My mother had something similar to this, but hers went away after going gluten free.

That you have been gluten-free for over a year and still have this problem is troubling. Have you mentioned this to your doctor? If not, please do!

Hi Linda,

I have this problem also. I've been gluten free for several months and still having problems on my right side. My doctor thinks I have additional food allergies which is why it won't calm down. I'm in the process of tracking it down. The discomfort went away while I was only eating potatoes and rice, but since adding other foods back in, it is back with a vengeance.

Blessings,

Lily

Lily,

Does your discomfort feel like a band right under your ribcage? I have found out that corn can cause real discomfort so have cut that out, but still drink Sprite which has corn syrup in it and it does not seem to make a difference.

I feel that it is just the bowel still in the healing process. Sometimes it feels like a hard feeling like gas and I do get the right sided discomfort but not as much as I used to.

It also depends on whether I have eaten a large meal or not as to whether I have that discomfort and if the food was soft or something like steak. I have wondered if the problem is just gas forming in the bowel from digesting food. My doctor told me I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome because I said sometimes it feels like a roe going across my abdomen and he said that was a very common phrase used to describe that condition.

Linda

Well, I have some pretty funky abdominal pain, I don't know if it similar to what you are experiencing. I have tender "spots" at different points on my abdomen. Recently, they have been in two spots about two inches above my naval, and about four inches apart (I guess that is pretty much right below the rib cage). I don't seem to notice it as much when I am lying down (but then again, when I am lying down I am asleep! LOL). I have had it lower though too. In fact, when I first noticed it , it was around my appendix area, and I have had it on the left side too, right across from the appendix area. Weird. Usually, I feel some discomfort, and then I reach down to rub the spot, and it is really tender, when I touch it. Is this anything like what you are experiencing? Hope this helps.

karina

Yes, mine is right under my ribcage. When my intestines are more inflamed than usual, it feels like they are pushing on my ribs and my ribs get sore. Soda doesn't seem to agree with me, so I need to take it back out of my diet. One gets tired of being on such a bland diet. Any processed foods I try also make it flare up. Sigh.

Hope you feel better soon!

Lily

I was having similar problems until I started drinking peppermint/ginger tea from the natural foods store near my house. I drank a cup (unsweetened) 1 hour to 1/2 hour before a meal and during the meal. I did this for a couple of weeks, and noticed it really helped with the discomfort. I haven't had to drink it as much lately. Hope this helps and you feel better soon.