20 replies to this topic

#16 birdie22

birdie22

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

The cream of Wheat is sending the signal and your body gets ready to ambush the next wave of gluten invaders. :)

Okay.
We're on day three and so far you are experiencing:

- nausea
- bloat
- pain under your breast bone
- canker sore
- fogged out
- restless sleep
- starving
- dizzy (Is it dizzy or vertigo? I always make a distinction now after having endured the damn vertigo almost non-stop for two years)
- gas pains with no gas

Any other symptoms I'm overlooking?

Kamma...thanks for the list! Yep, that about sums it up. Oh, add heartburn to that list. Although I've had this almost daily both on gluten and off it. Even after all those months gluten-free, the heartburn was still present more often than not though quite mild. Other than the canker sore, nothing is consistent or lasting. The others come and go in no discernible pattern. I'm also surprised I haven't had a daily headache as that was one of the things that bothered me most prior to trying gluten-free (and continued while gluten-free but to a lesser extent).

I've had at least one gluten item since last Wednesday with the exception of yesterday (Monday). Today I had cream of wheat for breakfast. Very minor nausea immediately followed but resolved w/in an hour. Had a lovely lunch of udon noodle stir fry. I was intentional in getting veggies, tofu, and veggie broth (gluten-free) so that the only new variable was the wheat in the udon noodles (I've had the other things w/out issue). No bloating or nausea, but my head feels loopy now (~1.5hr after eating). I would say dizzy and not vertigo (no room spinning). More a fuzzy, loopy, buzzed feeling. I don't recall having this feeling once I went gluten-free.

So, I have had a bit of gluten daily for the past 7 days. The results aren't earth shattering. I had actually hoped for more severe indicators that it was problematic (pain after each gluten meal, greater changes to my poop, etc). But they do all add up don't they?!

ETA: that now 2hrs later I'm still buzzed/loopy feeling and I sense it is progressing into a headache. I took a motrin. I really just want to put my head down on my desk and cat nap.
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

I'm getting queasy every time I read this thread, if that's any consolation. :blink:

If you'd walk around in my long term damaged body for 5 minutes, you'd be taking a flamethrower to your pantry in the next seven.

#18 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Yup, we're living vicariously through Birdie here. Queasy feelings and all! :D :P

So I'm going to add three more to the list:

One week in:
- headache
- lethargy (seems like that is beginning)
- heartburn
- nausea
- bloat
- canker sore
- fogged out
- restless sleep
- starving
- dizzy
- gas pains with no gas

If you keep eating gluten, maybe the week coming up will see the changes in the bowel movements and/or the stomach pains. Perhaps right now you are just at the point where your antibodies are starting to attack and destroy. The cumulative effect will begin to be more pronounced.

Gosh, you are a brave soul!

#19 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Gee so glad you are all so "taken" by my posts lol! The dizzy buzzed feeling finally stopped at about 5pm thankfully. While I was feeling junky I ate 3 thin mints. I bought them before going gluten-free and they werent delivered until after so I hadn't had any yet and they are my favorite. I figure this is my final fairwell to gluten tour and I might as well eat my favorites one last time. Had a gluten-free dinner of tacos minus shell and felt bloated after.

So should I call it quits or stick with it a few more days?
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

#20 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

"Final farewell to gluten tour".... :lol: :lol:

Should you quit? Well, do you feel sure that gluten causes a problem for you? From where I sit and have been reading, the more you eat it, the more symptoms keep cropping up. This is the true validation.

If you are sure, then yes, quit. Based on the fact that you are reacting to it and could potentially be doing yourself more damage the more you eat it, please do stop.

Sing your last song of

- headache
- lethargy
- heartburn
- nausea
- bloat
- canker sore
- fogged out
- restless sleep
- starving
- dizzy
- gas pains with no gas

and throw the gluten away.
:)

#21 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

I ditched the gluten after April 10th. I savored those 3 thin mints and 1/2 a beer and started the next day gluten-free. While I wasn't feeling dire, I wasn't feeling great and it seemed like every day was something that was bothersome. So, day 3 now of being back on the gluten-free bandwagon and things are getting better. The canker sore which I've had for 1 week now is starting to heal (it was increasing in size each day it seemed) and so far today I'm feeling good. Yesterday I had another afternoon of foggy/buzzed feeling and last night at about 2am (while awake with my 2yo) I could here my stomach making all sorts of noise. It didn't help that I had to have lunch at a work function with a buffet (no way to request gluten-free ahead of time) and hoped that I picked safe items...plain baked chicken leg, roasted mixed veggies, and garden salad with italian (oil based) dressing. I had bloating after and that dizzy feeling but no way to know if it was lunch or remnants from the prior week's gluten binge.

Clearly something I eat is bugging me and gluten seems the likely culprit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: