17 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,447 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Oh I understand about cc in foods now. Scraping the gravy was like 4 years ago before I got onto this forum and learned a lot. I now take the same precautions a lot of supersensitives do except the shared household is probably the weak link. I may be non-celiac gluten intolerant based on the testing I have had done and the fact that my symptoms went away so fast even on an imperfect gluten-free diet. The only test that was positive was an 84 on an Igg blood test when normal is 30 or less. I think it is rare for true celiacs to recover so quickly due to the time it takes the intestines to heal. The return of symptoms 2 years into the diet is what I have been trying to figure out and deal with.

I see. Well, I do hope you find your "culprit" and get well once more! Best to you!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

Hi Dws,

I save fat from cooking chicken in a ceramic cup. I put it in the refrigerator and use it for frying. Pretty easy and free too.

I don't know about the cc in the kitchen. That could definitely be a problem I think. Certainly if you are sharing a toaster or peanut butter or mayo jars etc. that is bad.

You could also be having ongoing problems from another food intolerance. It might be good to consider an elimination diet for that.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#18 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

I've been off of gluten for about 6 years. I've been struggling with an ever increasing sensitivity. I did really well for a couple of years at the beginning but have been having trouble staying ahead of the curve since then. We do not have a gluten free kitchen and I am beginning to think tweaking what I eat may be futile as long as there are crumbs everywhere here. We have not had much success with trying to keep the kitchen cleaner due to the fact that we are natural born slobs-myself included. Doing all the research and trying to use only products produced in a gluten free facility is a little ridiculous when my own "facility" is so contaminated. The breakroom at work is just as bad. I wash my hands a bizillion times a day and try to be careful, but it may not be enough. I may just have to lay down the law. I've been hesitant til now mainly because of my teenage daughter who is very sweet and would do it if I asked, but I hate to put that kind of restriction on her and her friends. Anyway, trying it for a month to see what happens would not be the end of the world for the fam.

Sounds like you have found the problem and you are very smart for admitting so. It can seem daunting to do but your food issues will not put restrictions on anyone. If the other system is not working for you, then your family can eat gluten outside the home or take better steps to ensure you will not be cc'd. Don't worry so much about putting others out....this is for your health. It's not a big deal and will teach them tolerance for others who get sick from crumbs.

The odds of anyone having a problem with a food that is safely consumed by the vast majority of the Celiac population is rare and usually is due to other food intolerances. Don't drive yourself crazy about that and look to the most obvious....those pesky crumbs left by others. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: