10 replies to this topic

#1 SillyHats

SillyHats

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

Glutened by Wendy's!!! Don't get me wrong. I've had many a safe meal at Wendy's, but I went to one that's in a, how shall I put this, more ghettoey neighborhood than the one I usually go to and now I'm sick. I was paying more attention to the tv than to my fries when I put something delicious and crunchy in my mouth! I looked down to see fried chicken crumbs. I wish I could say it was tasty enough to make up for how I feel right now, but I'd be lying. Boo!

"Can I have some special fries that were cooked just for me that won't come into contact with any breading? And can you please not spit on them even though you earn minimum wage and my request sounds ridiculous to you? Thanks!"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

If they cook other things in the oil, there are going to be little pieces of the breading in the oil. That isn't thier fault, just a "fact of frying". People with Celiac don't eat fries made in a shared fryer.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 SillyHats

SillyHats

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

The one I usually go to has a separate fryer. I guess I'm spoiled by that location and I assumed... I won't assume next time! I only got diagnosed a month ago, so I'm learning.

#4 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Sorry to tell you this but Wendy's new natural fries are NOT gluten-free...So you got glutened by the fries them selves plus the oil in which they were fried in...

Some burger king fries are okay but each joint needs to be checked to see if they have dedicated fryers...

Plus when fast food cleans the oils they all go into one big vat for cleaning & then put back into the fryers.So if you are a super sensitive person no fries may be safe enough for you except at home...no place I know of separates the oils dedicated & non for cleaning...

Five Guys & Red Robin have gluten-free fries& Chik-fil-a

#5 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

Sillyhats

Wendy's fries are NOT gluten-free even if the fryer is dedicated..............................

#6 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

Sillyhats

Wendy's fries are NOT gluten-free even if the fryer is dedicated..............................

Not accordinging to Wendy's. They list them as not containing gluten but possibly fried in the same oil as gluten.

http://www.wendys.co...s/nutrition.pdf

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#7 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

I just searched to see if I still had the note from Wendy's when the new natural fries came out a few months back but I guess I deleted it. But they stated to me that the new fries were not gluten-free dedicated fryer or not! Maybe they have changed their ruling since introducing the new fry....

#8 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

http://www.wendys.co...n_free_list.pdf

I just went to Wendy's gluten-free menu page & no fries listed...

#9 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

I also just checked on the nutritional page & all fries are listed as containing wheat....

#10 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

I just looked on Wendy's website -- the nutritional information opens in a pdf file and the natural fries do NOT contain wheat. On the chart they have a blue dot which means that they "may be fried in the same oil as other foods" (or however they worded that). The items with the RED dots are the ones that actually contain wheat.

So, the natural fries on their own do not contain wheat. You just have to ask for your own individual Wendy's to find out about the fryer. My Wendy's has a dedicated fryer which is not even near the one that they use for the nuggets. I've been eating these fries for ages and have never had any reaction.

#11 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

I also just checked on the nutritional page & all fries are listed as containing wheat....

This is not true on the US Wendy's site . I'm not sure they are in other countries. Just as I said and the post above this one has said, they list them as not containing gluten but the potential to contain gluten if fryed in a shared fryer.

LTES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: