84 replies to this topic

#16 modiddly16

modiddly16

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

You're silly. It absolutely can be red hair, the sun is shining on the one side of her body and the other is in the shade, based on the color of the skin on her hand it looks tan, not "dark". As a red head, I assure you that our hair color looks different in the sun than it does in the shade!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 JoyfulGF

JoyfulGF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

You're silly. It absolutely can be red hair, the sun is shining on the one side of her body and the other is in the shade, based on the color of the skin on her hand it looks tan, not "dark". As a red head, I assure you that our hair color looks different in the sun than it does in the shade!

haha, I think it's funny when people call me silly.

Her skin looks too dark on her hand. In any case, you're probably right because her hair that's flowing looks too much like Caucasian hair. But, I still don't think it's hair, it's too low to be the other pony tail. lol
Married my best friend May '08
Fertility problems since fall of 08
Lots of money spent on test after test from Thyroid problems to PCOS
Started to do my own research and journal what I ate Sept '11
Strictly Gluten free since Dec '11
Highest weight:178
Down to: 155 Yay!
Praying for a little miracle!

#18 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Thing is, the texture is not at all like that of hair. It appears solid, and has specularity. Also notice the total absence of any light shining through it, which there would be if it was hair, especially given the obvious wind blowing. Not to mention that there is light shining on hair further up on that side, and it looks nothing like the portion in question.

Not having any other mundane explanation doesn't mean it has to be hair.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#19 JoyfulGF

JoyfulGF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

I just got a reply from customer service about the ad. Whoever thought it was hair wins! I lose!

Hi Liz,

Thank you for contacting us. Please note hat is just the lady's pony tail. The lighting is different on that side which gives it more of a "redish" tint vs the rest of her hair. Please let me know if you still have any questions and I will do my best to assist you.

Take care,
Dyani

At 06:50 AM 4/18/2012, you wrote:

To whom it may concern,
I have a question about one of your ads. One of the forum threads is all about this ad. There is a lady holding a lollipop with a gluten free mall logo on it. What is that weird thing to the left of the lollipop?
Thank you!

Dyani Barber
Customer Service / Sales Manager
Celiac.com
The Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diet Support Page
www.celiac.com

The Gluten-Free Mall
Your Special Diet Superstore!
www.glutenfreemall.com

Disclaimer: We at Celiac.com are not trained medical professionals, so any advice offered by Celiac.com with regard to celiac disease is not intended to take the place of that offered by trained medical professionals. The goal of our site and our responses to your questions is to provide accurate information about the disease to both diagnosed and undiagnosed individuals, and to facilitate the diagnosis of the latter by trained medical professionals. We advise that you consult with your physician if you are experiencing ANY symptoms of unknown origin.

Married my best friend May '08
Fertility problems since fall of 08
Lots of money spent on test after test from Thyroid problems to PCOS
Started to do my own research and journal what I ate Sept '11
Strictly Gluten free since Dec '11
Highest weight:178
Down to: 155 Yay!
Praying for a little miracle!

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

One more try. :lol:

Look at the size of her hand. :rolleyes:

You are missing the perspective...from this amateur photographer's point of view. She is leaning forward with her right arm thrust forward and that is why her hand is so big. She is showing us the lolli and her right shoulder is torqued forward.

Her right-side ponytail pieces are blown forward in the breeze.

That's what I see.

or it's a space alien (for those of you who continue to see that) :lol:

but really, why not just email Scott-- who is the administrator--and ask him and end the speculation??

NOTE:
well, as I was writing this last response (that's what I get for taking so long to type), someone posted with THE answer. (oh thank heavens!)

It's her hair! aha!

So, let me be the first of the childish ones to say :

Told you so, NA NA!!! :D

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#21 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Thing is, the texture is not at all like that of hair. It appears solid, and has specularity. Also notice the total absence of any light shining through it, which there would be if it was hair, especially given the obvious wind blowing. Not to mention that there is light shining on hair further up on that side, and it looks nothing like the portion in question.

Not having any other mundane explanation doesn't mean it has to be hair.

I guess my "mundane explanation" was correct.

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

I guess my "mundane explanation" was correct.

:lol:

I guess my same explanation was mundane too, then?

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#23 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

I think I said that first?

But a space alien or Voldermort growing out the side of her head is more fun!

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#24 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

I kinda always thought it was her hair. Just poorly tied ponytails. Which MR Riceguy would know if he'd ever tried to tie pigtails! They don't always come out perfect....
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#25 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

I've followed the thread and still don't have a clue,even though Riceguy provided hints. Maybe it's one of the Unsolved Mysteries. It it what it is, perhaps.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#26 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Okay, the definitive answer.

She has sandy-red hair with a gorgeous tan. She has two pigtails, one being slightly higher than the other (as pigtails on the side are wont to be). The sun is shining on the hair on the right (left) side, which makes the lower part of the hair look strawberry blonde. The arrow is indicating....

a red ribbon tied in her hair. :rolleyes: Well, the other one is in the shade. :P
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#27 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:06 AM

OMG.... .I have FINALLY figured all this out. It seems crushingly obvious to me, now -- how could we have laboured over this so long?

It's you, isn't it, Riceguy? Grew out your nails, threw on a feminine white T, affixed tied extensions to your hair, made certain that the lollipop was placed to exactly and completely obscure your obviously male face.....then set up your positioning to cast strange, illusionary shadows, to capitalize on the sun's colour- and shape-tweaking properties.... . . ..and then the master stroke -- throwing the what-is-that-strange-thing question to us all, seeing how befuzzled and pensive we become.....

Now it all make sense.. . .....

:lol:
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

#28 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

I think I said that first?

Yes, yes, you were first! :rolleyes:
Mom, Karen always gets to be first!! :angry:

YOU get to say "Na, na told you so!" :P .
But modiddly and I said it too!!

....just sayin. :huh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is, as the Bard would say, MUCH ado about nothing.

Don't we have small countries to run or something?

Get busy, you!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#29 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

Well, I don't buy the explanation, for the simple fact that the person who responded wouldn't know any more than the rest of us, unless they were involved in creating the ad, or spoke to someone who was.

Aren't things like this farmed out to advertising agencies? Then again, such a blunder of a photo certainly doesn't look like something a professional would use in this kind of ad. Although I haven't done a lot of paid photography work, I'd never have used a photo like that. A pro would have taken numerous shots, then examined and compared them to find the right one for the ad. So I cannot accept that the one we see was the best of the lot. Again, this reasoning may only apply to a professional photographer.

By the time most of you see this post, I'll have sent a message to Scott. However not to ask what the thing in the photo is, but if the ad was done professionally.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#30 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

Besides, being tan doesn't preclude red hair. It's called Clairol.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: