84 replies to this topic

#31 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

By the time most of you see this post, I'll have sent a message to Scott. However not to ask what the thing in the photo is, but if the ad was done professionally.

Poor Scott! :o

Rice Guy, we thought this was a "just for fun thread" and responded that way. We had no idea that this is so serious to you and that the ad has offended you in some way.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 JoyfulGF

JoyfulGF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

Well, I don't buy the explanation, for the simple fact that the person who responded wouldn't know any more than the rest of us, unless they were involved in creating the ad, or spoke to someone who was.

Aren't things like this farmed out to advertising agencies? Then again, such a blunder of a photo certainly doesn't look like something a professional would use in this kind of ad. Although I haven't done a lot of paid photography work, I'd never have used a photo like that. A pro would have taken numerous shots, then examined and compared them to find the right one for the ad. So I cannot accept that the one we see was the best of the lot. Again, this reasoning may only apply to a professional photographer.

By the time most of you see this post, I'll have sent a message to Scott. However not to ask what the thing in the photo is, but if the ad was done professionally.

I have to agree. I'm no professional photographer whatsoever, but regardless, I am analytical when it comes to this sort of thing and If I were to look at this picture with a analytical/professional mindset, I would not choose this picture for an advertisement. If I were in the consumer affairs/advertisement department of the company, I wouldn't be happy with it and would push for something different....it's a lot to do, just for an ad, but it is really representing who the company is.
Married my best friend May '08
Fertility problems since fall of 08
Lots of money spent on test after test from Thyroid problems to PCOS
Started to do my own research and journal what I ate Sept '11
Strictly Gluten free since Dec '11
Highest weight:178
Down to: 155 Yay!
Praying for a little miracle!

#33 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

I don't know the ad is just kinda CREEPY! :ph34r:
Like I can't stop thing what IS behind the lollipop? Is it the face of the offspring of Ronald McDonald and Wendy? Possibly painted up like a freaky psycho clown? Now the thought of a conjoined twin has just sent me over the top. :rolleyes: :lol:

For the record my skirt is currently proplerly placed, thank you very much.
Michigan

#34 JoyfulGF

JoyfulGF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Haha, this made me chuckle Mommida!

Where in Michigan?

#35 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

I don't know the ad is just kinda CREEPY! :ph34r:
Like I can't stop thing what IS behind the lollipop? Is it the face of the offspring of Ronald McDonald and Wendy? Possibly painted up like a freaky psycho clown? Now the thought of a conjoined twin has just sent me over the top. :rolleyes: :lol:

Thanks for the giggle this morning. :D

#36 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

Just to be clear...the expression my Mom uses "Whatever blows your skirt up" means nothing except "do what makes you happy" or "whatever floats your boat". :)

It is used in the spirit of generosity. :)

Like "can I have chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla?"

"Sure, honey...whatever blows yer skirt up"

IH likes to be very clear about such things--- as I do not wish that expression to be used/considered as anything judgmental. :lol:

Carry on!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#37 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

Just to be clear...the expression my Mom uses "Whatever blows your skirt up" means nothing except "do what makes you happy" or "whatever floats your boat".

As I quickly proclaimed in another thread, this is a FANTASTIC expression, and I have since sprinkled it thrice into daily discourse, with a credit to you, IH. The latest incident occured yesterday when my son asked if he should wear his blue jeans with his grey shirt instead of his old black standbys. I was happily able to proclaim:

"Sure, hon. Whatever blows yer skirt up....courtesy of IrishHeart".....

He stared at me like this:

:huh:

And I sauntered from the room like this:

B)

Yes, yes, carry on! :rolleyes:
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

#38 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

It is a mysterious object called a "ponytail." Usually young girls wear their hair in such fashion, but in this case it is a young woman. Posted Image

This picture was taken shortly before she was abducted by aliens...we were not able to capture this "capture" on film...sorry.

Scott
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#39 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Poor Scott! :o

Rice Guy, we thought this was a "just for fun thread" and responded that way. We had no idea that this is so serious to you and that the ad has offended you in some way.

No, not offended. But intrigued, mystified and perplexed, yes. Sure, the thread is mostly for the fun of it, but part of that fun is in discovering the answers to the mystery. I admit I may get carried away with things like this. However, there it is, staring us all in the face, begging and beckoning for reasons for being.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#40 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

It is a mysterious object called a "ponytail." Usually young girls wear their hair in such fashion, but in this case it is a young woman. Posted Image

This picture was taken shortly before she was abducted by aliens...we were not able to capture this "capture" on film...sorry.

Scott

OK Scott, weeeee believe you <_<

I just knew aliens had something to do with it. Perhaps they heard the expression "a sucker is born every minute", and came looking for the hatchery.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#41 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

There is a full page ad with this same picture in the GIG's and CDF's newsletters...it is more clear in those as they are larger and not cropped, but she is also leaning forward toward the camera.

Take care,
Scott
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#42 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

Scott

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#43 JoyfulGF

JoyfulGF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

There is a full page ad with this same picture in the GIG's and CDF's newsletters...it is more clear in those as they are larger and not cropped, but she is also leaning forward toward the camera.

Take care,
Scott

Can we all see the picture? It may help us see it as the ponytail that it is and not the weird creature like thing.

#44 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Well I have been busted talking too racy on the forum before. I just wanted everyone to know I'm trying to behave today. I can't guarantee anything for tomorrow or the day after. ;)

I am in the lower pennisula. (yup I'm a troll) :ph34r:
Michigan

#45 JoyfulGF

JoyfulGF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

Well I have been busted talking too racy on the forum before. I just wanted everyone to know I'm trying to behave today. I can't guarantee anything for tomorrow or the day after. ;)

I am in the lower pennisula. (yup I'm a troll) I live in the safe triangle of most dangerous cities in MI. 50 miles north of the D, 50 miles south of Flint, and probably too close to Pontiac.
In the weird band of snow for Pine Knob and Mt. Holly ski areas.

My sister is in Monroe. I haven't ever been there but, I was out to Holland (West side of the state) when she lived there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: