#1 Pauliewog

Pauliewog

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Hi,

I am new to gluten-free (2 months). My only experience with alternative flours has been a pizza dough by Namaste Foods and a loaf of Bob's gluten-free bread mix for my machine. After eating the pizza I was quite gassy and bloated. I blamed the cheese even though I only used a tiny amount which usually doesn't bother me. Then yesterday I made the bread and I am again very gassy with some diarrhea--- but no cheese to blame! My bread machine is brand new so I know there is no CC issues there. I am wondering if anyone else has had some sort of reaction to alternative flours. I didn't eat anything else out of the ordinary. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

I can't tolerate gluten-free bread. It gives me asthma. I'm not sure what's getting me yet.

Xanthan gum does not agree with a lot of people, or you could be reacting to a new flour or starch like tapioca or sorghum. I would suspect the xanthan gum first since it can give some people diarrhea. You would substitute guar gum, or I recently saw a gluten-free recipe with a couple tablespoons of psyllium husk instead of gum. You might have to do some experimenting to see what flours and gums you can tolerate.

#3 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

Hi,

I am new to gluten-free (2 months). My only experience with alternative flours has been a pizza dough by Namaste Foods and a loaf of Bob's gluten-free bread mix for my machine. After eating the pizza I was quite gassy and bloated. I blamed the cheese even though I only used a tiny amount which usually doesn't bother me. Then yesterday I made the bread and I am again very gassy with some diarrhea--- but no cheese to blame! My bread machine is brand new so I know there is no CC issues there. I am wondering if anyone else has had some sort of reaction to alternative flours. I didn't eat anything else out of the ordinary. Thanks!

Some of us have a hard time digesting the alternative flours too, at first. Are you taking a digestive enzyme with your meals? They may help as your digestive system is healing.

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Just another idea for you--I had problems with some mixes too at first and by process of elimination found I was intolerant to tapioca, which is in a lot of mixes.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Pauliewog

Pauliewog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'll have to see if I can pinpoint what is bothering me. Both mixes had tapioca flour. If those mixes end up bothering me then I'll be stuck with rice bread!

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

I'll have to see if I can pinpoint what is bothering me. Both mixes had tapioca flour. If those mixes end up bothering me then I'll be stuck with rice bread!

If it does turn out to be tapioca, The Gluten Free Pantry has many mixes that don't have it. A couple do, so you have to read the ingredients, but most don't. I just made a cake today using their mix :)

Their French Bread and Pizza mix is excellent.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

Some gluten free companies use gluten free oats in their products. About 10% of celiacs react to oats as gluten. That might be a problem with Bob's. I don't think it is with Namaste. Some celiacs just do better without processed foods. Some of us are sensitive to lower levels of cc than others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: