This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gas/diarrhea From gluten-free Mixes?

Pauliewog

Pauliewog Contributor

Hi,

I am new to gluten-free (2 months). My only experience with alternative flours has been a pizza dough by Namaste Foods and a loaf of Bob's gluten-free bread mix for my machine. After eating the pizza I was quite gassy and bloated. I blamed the cheese even though I only used a tiny amount which usually doesn't bother me. Then yesterday I made the bread and I am again very gassy with some diarrhea--- but no cheese to blame! My bread machine is brand new so I know there is no CC issues there. I am wondering if anyone else has had some sort of reaction to alternative flours. I didn't eat anything else out of the ordinary. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I can't tolerate gluten-free bread. It gives me asthma. I'm not sure what's getting me yet.

Xanthan gum does not agree with a lot of people, or you could be reacting to a new flour or starch like tapioca or sorghum. I would suspect the xanthan gum first since it can give some people diarrhea. You would substitute guar gum, or I recently saw a gluten-free recipe with a couple tablespoons of psyllium husk instead of gum. You might have to do some experimenting to see what flours and gums you can tolerate.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Hi,

I am new to gluten-free (2 months). My only experience with alternative flours has been a pizza dough by Namaste Foods and a loaf of Bob's gluten-free bread mix for my machine. After eating the pizza I was quite gassy and bloated. I blamed the cheese even though I only used a tiny amount which usually doesn't bother me. Then yesterday I made the bread and I am again very gassy with some diarrhea--- but no cheese to blame! My bread machine is brand new so I know there is no CC issues there. I am wondering if anyone else has had some sort of reaction to alternative flours. I didn't eat anything else out of the ordinary. Thanks!

Some of us have a hard time digesting the alternative flours too, at first. Are you taking a digestive enzyme with your meals? They may help as your digestive system is healing.

jerseyangel Proficient

Just another idea for you--I had problems with some mixes too at first and by process of elimination found I was intolerant to tapioca, which is in a lot of mixes.

Pauliewog Contributor

I'll have to see if I can pinpoint what is bothering me. Both mixes had tapioca flour. If those mixes end up bothering me then I'll be stuck with rice bread!

jerseyangel Proficient

I'll have to see if I can pinpoint what is bothering me. Both mixes had tapioca flour. If those mixes end up bothering me then I'll be stuck with rice bread!

If it does turn out to be tapioca, The Gluten Free Pantry has many mixes that don't have it. A couple do, so you have to read the ingredients, but most don't. I just made a cake today using their mix :)

Their French Bread and Pizza mix is excellent.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Some gluten free companies use gluten free oats in their products. About 10% of celiacs react to oats as gluten. That might be a problem with Bob's. I don't think it is with Namaste. Some celiacs just do better without processed foods. Some of us are sensitive to lower levels of cc than others.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 7 years later...
Jeannie MKK Newbie

I have eaten Cheerios all my life (71 yrs) and just recently tried an off brand and got diarrhea big time and cramps big time. It was gluten free.  I gave the cereal to the bunnies and birds and got real Cheerios.  SAME reaction. Read the box because a friend said she tossed some Cheerios just recently because they had changed their recipe. It was all now gluten free.  it does taste a bit off but myonly conclusion was thatI'm allergic to gluten free!  haha - yeah - I know!

Some of you say it might be an allergyto tapioca - but I'm not allergic to tapioca.

So...

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 hours ago, Jeannie MKK said:

I have eaten Cheerios all my life (71 yrs) and just recently tried an off brand and got diarrhea big time and cramps big time. It was gluten free.  I gave the cereal to the bunnies and birds and got real Cheerios.  SAME reaction. Read the box because a friend said she tossed some Cheerios just recently because they had changed their recipe. It was all now gluten free.  it does taste a bit off but myonly conclusion was thatI'm allergic to gluten free!  haha - yeah - I know!

Some of you say it might be an allergyto tapioca - but I'm not allergic to tapioca.

So...

If you do not have celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity, perhaps the cereal was bad.  The USDA sends out recalls all the time.  Could be food poisoning.  

The only thing Cherrios  (General Mills) did with their cereal was to use a mechanical sorter for their oats to scan for wheat pieces making it “gluten free”.  Kind of like hand sorting dried beans to pick out little stones and sticks.    Nothing else changed to my knowledge.

Maybe you picked up a virus or bacteria or developed a corn intolerance (which is also in Cherrios).  A new theory is an overload of Roundup (herbicide) to speed up the oat harvest instead of just killing weeds.  

https://www.ewg.org/childrenshealth/glyphosateincereal/

Kimberly Polasek Newbie

I am Celiac.  Just being in a restaurant that makes baked goods can cause anaphylaxis.  I have now become allergic to Sorghum.  This is becoming ridiculous.

Scott Adams Grand Master

So it sounds like you are a celiac and also have a wheat allergy. Hopefully you carry an epi-pen just in case. 

kareng Grand Master
32 minutes ago, Kimberly Polasek said:

I am Celiac.  Just being in a restaurant that makes baked goods can cause anaphylaxis.  I have now become allergic to Sorghum.  This is becoming ridiculous.

Sounds like you are allergic to wheat or something in those restaurants on top of your Celiac.  Celiac is not an allergy, so anaphylaxis is not part of Celiac.  I hope you can get an epi pen.  

GFinDC Veteran
15 hours ago, Jeannie MKK said:

So...

You may have developed an intolerance to oats.  A small percentage of celiacs react to oats like they react to wheat, rye and barley.  The thing to do is avoid all oats if that is the situation.  But they put oats in a lot of gluten-free products so there's lot of processed foods to avoid.

• 1 year later...
Kimble Newbie

I’m new to gluten free. I have one celiac gene which lends itself to sensitivity not full blown celiacs. I am full blown lactose intolerant and my last food sensitivity test I reacted to egg white, onion, garlic, oregano and Kale. I get headaches, joint stiffness, horrible gas, soft stools, and fatigue. I ate a Frozen cauliflower pizza crust The other day and the gas was so bad the dog was gagging! No for real he was. I am so sick of being weak tired and sick any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you😔 

trents Grand Master

Kimble, welcome to the community!

Have you had more than just the gene testing done? Have you had blood work done for celiac antibodies? I would not make assumptions about whether or not you have Celiac Disease based on gene analysis. And you speak of food sensitivity testing? Can you be more precise about the nature of the test? Skin prickiing? Serum testing? Those things are notoriously unhelpful. There is typically poor correlation between the results and actual symptoms. How many grams of fiber did the pizza crust contain and was their cheese on it or did you eat the crust by itself? If cheese, the dairy could have been the actual offender, not the cauliflower.

Edited by trents
knitty kitty Grand Master

Kimble, 

You only need one gene to be Celiac.  It's like being a little bit pregnant.  

The egg white, onion, garlic, oregano, and cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, kale, cabbage, broccoli, etc.) are all high in sulfur.  Celiacs often become sensitive to foods (and medications) with high sulfur contents.  And that horrible gas is a result of the sulfur turned into a gas thanks to your intestinal bacteria.  (They don't like it either.)  

Consider going on a low sulfite diet. 

Don't eat processed gluten free foods until you recover.  Processed gluten free foods have chemicals for texture and flavor and as preservatives which  can irritate your intestines.  Consider the Autoimmune Paleo Protocol diet.  Eat whole foods: fresh veggies, fruits and meats you cook yourself.  No grains, no legumes.  

Discuss any diet changes with your doctor or dietitian.  

Hope this helps!