#1 jnh380

jnh380

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Hello,
A few weeks ago I had blood tests done as part of a regular check-up. I have been feeling many symptoms similar to the common celiac symptoms but had attributed it to anxiety/depression, somatic effects on my digestion. My doc first labelled it as IBS but the blood test came back positive.
My Question is:
Typical TTG igA tests seem to use a result of 4.0 to 20.0+ as a range. The test I received from Kaiser only gave me a normal as less than 0.9, and my test came back 1.65.
Does anyone have experience with Kaiser's TTG test and how to understand the results? If i do the math my result is 85% higher than the normal range. I have started a gluten-free diet and will have a biopsy done next week to find out more.
Thanks,
Justin
TTG positive, Biopsy positive, April '12
Elevated ALT, Bilirubin, low Vitamin D
Peripheral neuropathy, GI issues, joint pain

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

Hello,
A few weeks ago I had blood tests done as part of a regular check-up. I have been feeling many symptoms similar to the common celiac symptoms but had attributed it to anxiety/depression, somatic effects on my digestion. My doc first labelled it as IBS but the blood test came back positive.
My Question is:
Typical TTG igA tests seem to use a result of 4.0 to 20.0+ as a range. The test I received from Kaiser only gave me a normal as less than 0.9, and my test came back 1.65.
Does anyone have experience with Kaiser's TTG test and how to understand the results? If i do the math my result is 85% higher than the normal range. I have started a gluten-free diet and will have a biopsy done next week to find out more.
Thanks,
Justin

I don't know anything about Kaiser's celiac testing, but I do know you need to keep eating gluten if you are going to have the biopsy. If you go off gluten, you will get a less accurate result.

The best way to interpret the lab results it simply to look at your result within the context of your lab's ranges. Every lab is different, and so a result from one lab cannot be interpreted by a range from a different lab. It would be most helpful to see all of the information from your test, including the name of the test, along with the range. That way we're comparing "apples to apples" so to speak!
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#3 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:31 AM

Keep eating gluten until after the biopsy! The process is frustrating enough . . . you don't want to alter the results by starting too soon. As soon as the biopsy is done, start the diet. Take the time in between to prepare your kitchen and shop for good, healthy food so you will be ready, but keep eating gluten until then.

Even if the biopsy is negative (or inconclusive) your positive blood test and symptoms indicate you should be gluten free.

Cara

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

There is no "typical" TTG IgA test. The results are given in arbitrary units and you have to interpret them by comparing to the provided reference range.

Your test is clearly positive and you are very likely celiac. Good luck with the biopsy!

#5 jnh380

jnh380

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments. Luckily my sister is a former dietician / current pharmacist so she has lots of experience with this. I will keep you posted on the results from the biopsy i have this coming monday.
TTG positive, Biopsy positive, April '12
Elevated ALT, Bilirubin, low Vitamin D
Peripheral neuropathy, GI issues, joint pain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: