42 replies to this topic

#1 desperateforhealth

desperateforhealth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Almost three months gluten-free and DF and I've never had a KNOWN glutening, but I have had reactions to other things, like soda and probiotics. Identifying glutenings is what I hate the most.

So on Friday I made a huge mistake. I went over to my best friend's house and her parents cooked me a supposedly gluten-free, diary-free meal. I tried really hard to prevent them from doing it, but they're that type that HAS to be the Best Hosts Ever and so they made salmon cakes with gluten-free cornmeal, cake with gluten-free baking mix, and cornbread with gluten-free baking mix, and I felt like I HAD to eat it since it was special for me (and they're nurses so they're pretty familiar with what is gluten-free and what is not, so I decided to trust them). And all of was really, really good, and I actually ended up eating WAY too much--not just dinner but just tons of nuts and fruit and gluten-free hummus that I don't get at my house. When I say eating way too much, I mean that another bite would have made me literally sick. (This habit of overeating is itself a huge problem that I am gradually overcoming (and that people don't take me seriously about because it doesn't affect my weight), but not really the point I am making.)

Anyway, as you can imagine, on Saturday, I was not hungry at all. The only thing I had was a glass of oj and then a fruit salad prepared the day before. After that I had D and stayed away from all food for the rest of the day. I haven't eaten very much ever since and have continued to experience D and gas off and on ever since.

BUT, I also have some kind of virus, maybe the flu. Saturday night my throat starting hurting bad and now I am laid up with bad congestion and scratchy throat and fatigue.

So I have no idea whether my D and stomach rumbling is from a glutening on Friday or just a symptom of my virus. It really sucks, because I brought home some food from Friday and had to decide not to eat it in case this is a glutening (or maybe it was because they used margarine with whey in it--I am also sensitive to dairy). Or maybe the fruit had some bacteria on it or something? Who knows. This is frustrating, but it's my fault. Heck, it wouldn't even surprise me if my stomach is just really mad about how much I overstuffed it--even if there was no gluten involved.

I guess I am not really asking any questions, just venting, but if you guys did have any feedback I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks for reading!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

The margarine could be offending you, or possibly the corn. Corn was good for me for awhile and then whacked me. I have it occasionally now, but rotate it in my diet so it isn't a "staple" anymore. Hope you feel better soon. :)

I'm curious, have they called to see how you're doing?
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#3 desperateforhealth

desperateforhealth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

I don't THINK it was corn... I eat corn like, daily. Including yesterday. You could be right though...

They haven't, but my best friend called just to chat. I think they were quite sure that they avoided all gluten.

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

I would not "assume" you were glutened, hon.
It was very nice of these people to go to great lengths to cook for you and if you trust they were careful about CC, don't assume you feel lousy from their cooking.

Of course, "avoiding all gluten" is one thing-- and I am sure they did not use any gluten ingredients, but a kitchen that normally handles gluten foods is still tricky business.

You are still healing! Digesting a lot of food you do not normally eat may be difficult for a gut still ravaged. (And yes, it could be the dairy.)
Also, you admit you are fighting a virus of some kind.

Could be many factors giving you the D and fatigue, etc. It will pass. Hope you feel better soon.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 desperateforhealth

desperateforhealth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Oh, I definitely didn't mean to make it seem like I was accusing them, and I certainly would never hold it against them if I was glutened. I am blown away by their generosity and accommodating, kind nature. I love those folks and nothing will change that. :)

I'm just trying to figure it out so that I can know whether I should eat or whether I shouldn't--and how soon I will feel better.

Thank you very much!

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Oh, I definitely didn't mean to make it seem like I was accusing them, and I certainly would never hold it against them if I was glutened. I am blown away by their generosity and accommodating, kind nature. I love those folks and nothing will change that. :)

I'm just trying to figure it out so that I can know whether I should eat or whether I shouldn't--and how soon I will feel better.

Thank you very much!

oh, no, I didn't think you were not grateful at all. I am sure you loved it! I was just reassuring you that they probably took all the right steps. :) I had friends cook for me recently and I was very touched by it all!

My guess is you ate too much of foods that are still tough to process.

Why shouldn't you eat? If you are hungry, eat up! :) No one can say when you will feel better--we do not really know why you feel bad. (sick, CC, or plain old celiac gut recovery)

Hope you feel better soon!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#7 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

I don't THINK it was corn... I eat corn like, daily. Including yesterday. You could be right though...

They haven't, but my best friend called just to chat. I think they were quite sure that they avoided all gluten.

That makes me even more suspicious of the corn, but that could just be me. I haven't had a cold or the flu for 4 years even though I get exposed all the time because I work in Doctors' offices, hospitals and rehab centers. I look at it like I have a hyper autoimmune system that is waged for war. I used to get a bad cold at least twice a year. I'd try laying off the corn to see if you feel better. Corn's in as much or more than gluten, it's another adventure.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#8 desperateforhealth

desperateforhealth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

IrishHeart- Thank you. I ate a few gluten-free pancakes, we will see how this goes.

Marilyn R- Perhaps I should try that again. I have experimented with staying away from nightshades and corn but have never come to conclusive results, except that it seems like they don't bother me. I would really miss corn though. :(

I get sick once or twice a year as well. The weird thing is, 5 of my friends were sick over spring break (two weeks ago), and even though I spent time with all of them, I never got it (rare for me). I owed this to my super-healthy diet of mostly fruits and veggies, with very little sugar intake. Then after my increased sugar intake last Friday I got sick the very next day, which makes me think maybe my immune system was weakened and that is why I got it.

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

My advice - don't worry about it. You know you have a bug, and with that, all bets are off.

When/if you are glutened/milked, and you react clearly, you'll know it and it will suck. Unfortunately it will happen soon enough.

I hope you feel better soon. Wondering what's going on is no fun and a virus is just yuck.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#10 desperateforhealth

desperateforhealth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Thank you, pricklypear, and you are quite right!

#11 Lori2

Lori2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

I get sick once or twice a year as well. The weird thing is, 5 of my friends were sick over spring break (two weeks ago), and even though I spent time with all of them, I never got it (rare for me). I owed this to my super-healthy diet of mostly fruits and veggies, with very little sugar intake. Then after my increased sugar intake last Friday I got sick the very next day, which makes me think maybe my immune system was weakened and that is why I got it.

Or you may be like me and have a sugar sensitivity. Gives me most of my same symptoms. Sugar (beet and cane), honey, agave, xylitol, raisins, dates.

#12 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Desperate

I just wanted to say how I admire your earnest effort to do the right thing for your health AND your gracious appreciationof some good friends' efforts to host you.

I am into this gluten-free about 2 mos and have glutened myself maybe 3 times (not real sure) thru carelessness and once, thru what I can only describe, as a major senior moment. I so empathize with the corn issue. I have no reason to believe I have issues with it... I love it and would miss it terribly.

Just this last few days I have noticed a huge improvement in the I tense itching from DH and a little less joint pain. I am so cautiously optimistic!

Please please keep us posted as I would love to hear of your progress and how you are coping. :-)

#13 desperateforhealth

desperateforhealth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:22 AM

Lori2- That's an interesting possibility. I eat dates and raisins daily though.

JustNana- Glad you are feeling some relief! And thank you for the empathy, keep you posted I will. :)

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

Just give yourself some more healing time, hon!

This is a long, slow road to recovery and sometimes, we still get "regular stuff" :) --nothing to do with gluten/celiac--like upset tums, viruses, headaches, colds.

It may or may not be other foods, grains, fruits, or whatever....it's still early and you ate a LOT of goodies. You can make yourself nuts trying to figure all that out right now. (many of us have been there/done that)

FWIW, I feel like heck today myself :huh: (too many shrimp, I had a cocktail and I ate waaaay too much carrot cake with buttercream frosting Sunday...oy! :rolleyes: These are foods I do not normally eat on a day-to-day basis)

Hope you're feeling better by today! :)
Best wishes, IH

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

If it was me I would likely think I had been CC'd despite my hosts best intentions due to the fact you got D. One has to go to a great deal of trouble to avoid CC.

You could gently enquire sometime (without being snide or accusing) as to just how far they went cleaning and getting a new chopping block and the like and keeping their hands clean from gluten. You don't want to have to go through this again... You need to let them know in the friendliest way possible.

Maybe even invite them over to dinner and then explain and show them what you had to do to make your house gluten free. They might actually be interested if they are the caring folks you say they are. Just remember to have them wash their hands before eating or helping with the food just in case...

Provide them with a guest towel too. I learned this one the hard way! I got glutened from using the same towel my brother did. ( I washed my hands and then wiped my hands and face with the towel. D soon thereafter!)

If you say nothing they might invite you over for another dinner thinking all was just fine! And then repeat of story.

I also react to ovens that are normally used for gluten baking. Not everyone here does, but there are many that do--including my boyfriend.

Sugar too seems too have been a culprit. Often eating sugar can lower one's immune system. Recently it was just declared to be a toxin I think (help me here folks?? I was told this but didn't see the reference myself).

I even react to store bought gluten free flour. I hear there may be the sulfites in most of the packaging... which the absorbs into the flour--which can be enough for some folks to react. Plus CC is often rampant in packaged flours at the best of times.

When I am going to make a baked goodie, I now grind my own rice flour and have found many ways to make that work. I often like putting in some blended chopped peeled yam or blended peeled chopped white potato and/or some arrowroot (from the local supplement/herb store) to help the flour bind since I don't use eggs in my cooking any more.

I am also starting to use well washed, dried soaked cooked and then cooled beans and put say a cup of them into the blender too. Its way better on the digestion than the dry ground bean flour. Plus again no sulphites or potential CC.

For myself one way to tell the difference between a simple allergic reaction (I have many things I am allergic to--which includes most medium to high salicylates and amines from aged foods) is to have some baking soda in water chased by more water and see if I feel better or not.

If I feel better from taking the baking soda I know I am more than likely dealing with an allergy or sensitivity of some sort or other. If that is the case I then take a benedryl knockoff (the ones with the clear capsules).

I also find taking an epsom salt bath provides a good deal of relief. Maybe also have a vegetable smoothie (I use lettuce, celery, parsley and either a whole or half peeled apple.) I find it a great pick me up!

Otherwise if its just CC to gluten, you have to ride it out!! Maybe even take charcoal capsules at the beginning to absorb the toxins before they knock out so much of your villi.

And/or it could be simply a bug. I certainly have had the experience of having what started as a CC reaction to gluten ends up being an actual bug due to the shock to my system from the CC. Now after being glutened I try to make a practice of just staying low for around 3 days recuperating rather than push myself and get seriously ill.

Good luck--hope you feel much better soon! And let's imagine the bug (if it is a bug) will fly away quickly!
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: