This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bad Timing

desperateforhealth

Ninja Contributor

The thing is, you could literally drive yourself insane trying to figure out why your body reacts the way it does. What has helped me the most is telling myself that yes, I obviously reacted to something but I don't necessarily need to know what it was. It would be nice to know... but I know that usually when I've reacted it's because I've strayed from known safe foods to eating a bunch of new foods all at once (I get excited when I'm feeling better). Actually, yesterday I tried eating a homemade pizza... last time we tried it, I reacted... but I tried it again. I reacted! It could have been the shared oven, shared kitchen, shared can opener, the actual ingredients, it could have just been too much, or it could have been a combination. If you are new to the gluten-free diet, or even somewhat new keep chanting to yourself: there's a STEEEEEP learning curve!

I can't remember if you said you tried digestive enzymes. I've heard really great things about using them to help with accidental cc or glutening. Maybe that is an option if this happens again...?

I know it's super frustrating, but you aren't alone! *hugs*

~Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Actually, yesterday I tried eating a homemade pizza... last time we tried it, I reacted... but I tried it again. I reacted! It could have been the shared oven, shared kitchen, shared can opener, the actual ingredients, it could have just been too much, or it could have been a combination.

I can't remember if you said you tried digestive enzymes. I've heard really great things about using them to help with accidental cc or glutening.

Two things to consider here, hon:

If you were reacting to a shared kitchen, it would be ALL THE TIME. But you are not sick all the time, right? :)

You tried a pizza specifically to see how you respond and you got a specific "reaction". (now, it could be the CHEESE??) See, you may have a dairy issue as well.

Digestive enzymes are taken BEFORE a meal to help digestion in people with impaired enzyme production from pancreatic insufficiency or in folks with lactose intolerance.

They do help. I used them when I was first DXed and still do when eating fats.

However, they are not a "gluten eradicator". If they were, people would be buying them and eating donuts.

Ninja Contributor

Oh sure – it COULD be anything. :blink: I suspect it was just too much (I've been fine with cheese as of late).

I think people use digestive enzymes for all different reasons. Typically, they are used as you have described... however, like I mentioned earlier, I have heard people have had good results when using them to help with accidental exposure to gluten via glutening or cc (before is better... if you suspect something might give you grief..). Of course, I am NOT suggesting the use of digestive enzymes instead of a gluten-free diet... just as something else to try. :) I'll see if I can pull up some articles... though it may just be anecdotal.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'll see if I can pull up some articles... though it may just be anecdotal.

I have read them. They are. ;)

Ninja Contributor

I also just wanted to add one more thing about the shared kitchen concept: unfortunately, with a shared kitchen, one cannot predict where gluten has been (especially with uncooperative family members). The kitchen is NOT always the same, so no... one should not necessarily exclude the possibility of cc just because one is not reacting every time, IMO. Different circumstances change everything.

IrishHeart Veteran

Your point about the kitchen is well taken, however, we were talking about the use of the oven in this case of the OP.

What I meant about YOUR pizza experiment was ...you guys always cook in that oven right? take the same precautions when cooking and preparing food right? those are consistent variables in your home, right? (you told me your Mom is super careful) so what made the pizza different? cheese? just guessing with you here.

That's all I was trying to point out. :)

IH

Ninja Contributor

Yes, I understood what you were getting at... just wanted to point out another perspective. :) We don't use the oven much, actually... but there were a few new foods on that pizza for me (post-gluten-free): frozen spinach, 2 new cheeses.... both pizzas used the same sauce and crust... different everything else. I also had a fruit smoothie (store bought) that I had never had before.... it seemed to be the pizza, but who knows!

Thanks, IH. :)

To the OP: sorry for derailing your thread! :ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JustNana Apprentice

Yeah, I think Marilyn was respectful too yolo.

It is, of course, important for us to make nice on this board. But an honest disagreement, especially based on some level of research, isn't a reason to be defensive.

I have noticed a slight tendency from a couple of folks here to just nod and agree with everyone's opinions, whether documented or not. And it's really scary to come here and hear someone say that the thyroid med you are taking might be contaminated or that MSG has gluten. I know this crazy disease affects everyone differently but placebo effect, uncertain cc source and other things make it tough to state suspicions with certainty.

JustNana Apprentice

Oh one more thing yolk, PF Changs has dedicated equipment because they don't want to risk a big fat lawsuit. So many places and products won't use the term gluten-free because we live in this litigious society. I guess it's a CYA kind of thing. :-D

Marilyn R Community Regular

For the record, I've lived in my home for 12 years. I don't have a self cleaning oven and I used to cook yeast pies, breads, crumbles and all that in my oven. I'm ashamed to say I haven't cleaned the oven in 12 years. It has gluten globs of stuff on the bottom of the oven from stuff that has seeped out while cooking. If anyone can explain to me how the gluten from those burnt globs at the bottom of the oven can jump up in the oven and get into what I'm cooking, I just might get inspired to clean my oven. Meantime, I don't like the chemicals in oven cleaners and haven't felt the necessity because I've never been sick from anything I cooked that was safe in my own oven. I cover my old cookie sheets and pizza pans with parchment paper before cooking stuff that is safe.

The person I bought the house from wasn't gluten-free, so I'm pretty sure I have 20 years worth of gluten in my oven. Frankly, it is the least of my concerns. I could be wrong, but I don't think burnt stuff in the oven can contaminate what you're cooking if you're cooking using safe practices and safe food.

I'm open to theories though. Particles of burnt gluten going airboarn at a certain temperature and landing on your entree? (Mine just lay there in a lump.)

Ninja Contributor

Well, I guess I should mention: it wasn't the oven... it could have been the maltose I ate not realizing it may not have been safe (the maltodextrin always throws me). Strangely enough, I distinctly remember reading it on one of the labels and being concerned but then the fact that maltodextrin is safe occurred to me and I thought nothing of it and ate it. Yes, yes, I need to start a food diary...

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, I guess I should mention: it wasn't the oven... it was the maltose I ate not realizing it was not safe (the maltodextrin always throws me). Strangely enough, I distinctly remember reading it on one of the labels and being concerned but then the fact that maltodextrin is safe occurred to me and I thought nothing of it and ate it.... yet I cannot remember what it was in (this isn't an uncommon occurrence with me and my memory... my memory is very odd). Yes, yes, I need to start a food diary...

No....

Maltose and maltodextrin are safe ingredients.

From my research:

Maltose is made from corn in North America. In Europe, some companies use wheat. But, because it is so processed, maltose does not contain gluten no matter what it is made from.

From the Canadian Celiac Association list of food ingredients:

MALTOSE ... ALLOWED: A simple sugar obtained by enzymatic breakdown of starch (potato, rice, barley or wheat). Although barley or wheat may be used in the production of maltose, the manufacturing process renders maltose gluten-free.

Malt and malted barley, however, are not safe.

IrishHeart Veteran

Since the OP has recovered from her "over-indulgence" :) --as some

of us suggested may have been the problem for her upset stomach--

and apparently, it did not involve a possible CC from an oven or

anything else her hosts may have done, I think this particular

thread has run it's course.

Sometimes, the answer is very simple.

Members can, of course, discuss the various side topics in a new

thread--- if they wish to continue discussing them.

Cheers all,

IH

Ninja Contributor

No....

Maltose and maltodextrin are safe ingredients.

From my research:

Maltose is made from corn in North America. In Europe, some companies use wheat. But, because it is so processed, maltose does not contain gluten no matter what it is made from.

From the Canadian Celiac Association list of food ingredients:

MALTOSE ... ALLOWED: A simple sugar obtained by enzymatic breakdown of starch (potato, rice, barley or wheat). Although barley or wheat may be used in the production of maltose, the manufacturing process renders maltose gluten-free.

Malt and malted barley, however, are not safe.

This is very confusing. :blink: From the Celiac Sprue Association:

B—LABEL READING FOR BARLEY—genus Hordeum

Barley is not often used as a flour in baked goods, but can be used as a thickener in soups and stews. Barley can appear in the form of pearl barley and hulled barley.

Barley is most commonly used as a flavoring and flavor enhancement ingredient in a wide variety of foods. MALT is the most common barley ingredient. If a label lists “malt” it is made from barley unless otherwise specified. Barley extract (barley syrup), barley flavoring, barley enzymes and maltose (malt sugar) are also commonly used as ingredients. Common foods containing barley and malt are: cereals, malted milk, malt vinegar, and beer. Watch for barley in rice milks and syrups (especially brown rice syrup), sauces, soups, cereals, protein bars and snack foods.

I should mention that I have no idea what's what in terms of reactions. :ph34r:

IrishHeart Veteran

I have read several conflicting reports--- but the one common statement I have read is:

Maltose is a highly refined simple sugar obtained by enzymatic breakdown of starch. While it can come from any starch, the end product is gluten-free.

I honestly do not know why the Celiac Sprue association lists it as questionable. Maybe you should email them and inquire?

If you think it is not a good idea, don't consume foods with it in the ingredients.

Ninja Contributor

Good to know, thanks. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Good to know, thanks. :)

I'll keep looking for a more definitive answer for you.

Ninja Contributor

I think I read in a few different threads that the Celiac Sprue Association may not be as reliable as some of the other sites out there...

Archived