This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soy Lecithin...?

Cujy

Cujy Apprentice

Can we have it?? What is it? We can't have soy right? Sorry for my ignorance but Im still trying to desperately learn! Just ate some MM's and I hope to God I didn't just gluten myself!!! :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alex11602 Collaborator

Soy lecithin is derived from soy which Celiacs can have from a gluten perspective. Of course you could be intolerant to soy, but as far as gluten goes it is not a concern.

sa1937 Community Regular

I don't avoid soy lecithin and as far as I know, I don't have any problem with it. While I am well aware that some people have serious problems with soy, I don't buy products based on soy like tofu or soy flour as I figure I just don't need them.

Skylark Collaborator

There are links to safe and unsafe ingredients at Open Original Shared Link Here is the safe list, and as you can see soy lecithin is on it. https://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Safe-Ingredients/Page1.html

This is the UNSAFE list so you know what to look out for. To be honest I find it easier to mostly avoid processed foods. Reading long ingredient labels is confusing and if you make a mistake you gluten yourself.

https://www.celiac.com/celiac-disease/forbidden-gluten-food-list-unsafe-ingredients-r182/

IrishHeart Veteran
:lol: I was just going to point her to those lists--but I see Skylark has already done it! ;) (great minds and all..... :lol: )
  • 7 months later...
PennyH Newbie

This was written in 2011 on the Livestrong website but raises concerns to me. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Soy, or soya, lecithin is a gluten-free food because it is not made from wheat, rye or barley. While soy lecithin by itself does not contain gluten, additives to lecithin may contain gluten. Consumers must do their own research into ingredients and gluten content, which can sometimes be confusing.

Read more: Open Original Shared Link

• 9 months later...
Rchelpka Newbie

I'm  relatively newly diagnosed Celiac. My understanding of the whole Soy issue is that while Soy itself does not contain gluten, it is often suspect due to the high likelihood of cross contamination. This is due to the fact that most Soy growers also grow Wheat, Barley and Rye in rotation with their Soy crops. This means the soils are contaminated with the gluten containing grains and the equipment used to harvest and process the Soy is shared with the other gluten containing grains. So, the bottom line is, it's pretty much a crap shoot with Soy unless the product containing the Soy is specifically labeled gluten free. This would and should imply that the Soy used in the product is grown independently and isolated from other gluten containing grains.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

no, dude, you are thinking of oats.  i have an independent soy sensitivity and if i have a reaction it lasts maybe 24 hrs.  i know it doesn't contain gluten because i would be knocked down for 2 weeks.  

Rchelpka Newbie

Thanks Arlene! However, a very short Google search using the string "Soy Wheat Rotation" yielded hundreds of articles about crop rotations including wheat, soy, corn and the list goes on. In fact, One short info article from Ohio State University Open Original Shared Link recommends planting wheat following soy. It would appear there is nothing truly safe as far as crops go as it seems to be a largely common practice to rotate wheat with just about any other crop. Guess we Celiacs should just stop eating period! :-) Does anyone else out there know if wheat crop rotation is really a concern for those suffering from Celiac disease?

notme Experienced

so, once every 3 years, wheat is planted.  i suppose, the weather and the rest of the year take care of any excess wheat - also whatever likes to eat wheat would take care of what is left - after all, that is what the point to crop rotation is anyway, right?  and corn and soybeans are self contained so the wheat (theoretically, if there even was any to begin with) would be washed off when the kernels or beans were washed.  

but, i am not a farmer.  i am a celiac who eats corn and soy and gets no gluten reaction from either :)  i got enough worries, i don't need to borrow any ;)

notme Experienced

oh, and ps - welcome to the forum - if you haven't already, here is a helpful thread to read:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

lots of practical info to help you navigate - good luck!

• 1 month later...
YouAreWhatYouFeat Newbie

Among many things, soy is a product that is not good for people avoiding gluten. the protein in soy is so similar to that of gluten that your body reacts the same way with it. Also, soy is not as healthy as people had once thought. It increases the risk for breast cancer and is genetically modified...among many other reasons why we shouldn't eat it. I avoid it all together, but it is very hard because it is in ALOT of foods.

kareng Grand Master

Among many things, soy is a product that is not good for people avoiding gluten. the protein in soy is so similar to that of gluten that your body reacts the same way with it. .

This is not true. There is no scientific evidence of this. Soy does bother some people, Celiacs or not.

Celtic Queen Explorer

I believe it's not the crop rotation that is an issue with wheat/oats.  It's the fact that they are usually grown next to each other at the same time.  And they are often processed in the same facility.

I live in a state where large amounts of soybeans are grown.  Where I live, almost no wheat is grown.  Soy may be rotated with corn or cotton here.  Not sure if it's the same in other parts of the country.

luvrdeo Apprentice

soooo....is the gum I'm chewing - both kinds with soy lecithin on the label - gonna get me?  For whatever reason I decided to read what all was in my gum, looked up the soy l - and of course was brought back to my favorite celiac board :)

kareng Grand Master

soooo....is the gum I'm chewing - both kinds with soy lecithin on the label - gonna get me?  For whatever reason I decided to read what all was in my gum, looked up the soy l - and of course was brought back to my favorite celiac board :)

Maybe if you have a problem with soy.  Wouldn't be a gluten issue.

Archived