Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Opinions On Gastritis And Prevacid/ppi S?

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Hi there,

One of our girls' endoscopies also uncovered "redness" in a section of the stomach lining. The GI is calling this gastritis and prescribed Prevacid (a drug which lowers stomach acid production). The GI has instructed us to give this medication for three months.

Opinions? Thoughts? Experience?

Would love to hear it! Many thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

I really have no advice for you but when I had my endoscopy/biopsy two years ago, I was also diagnosed with gastritis, which is another word for inflammation, which I could see on the pretty colored pictures I came home with. Posted Image It's actually pretty common with celiac. I was not prescribed anything for it and figure it probably went away after I started my gluten-free diet.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Prevacid is not gluten free, I was on it for awhile, then had to get my prescription refilled. When i called to confirm it was gluten free, they had switched facilities and manufacturers and it was no longer gluten free.are there any other medicines she can take?

#4 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Thank you so much for this info. That is brutal!!! I even had the pharmacy mark her account as Celiac/gluten-free. Ugh! Maybe THAT's why her behavior was so off today!!!!
Thank you!

#5 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

I learned that I can't always trust the pharmacies! Although they may call the company and the company says its gluten free, I call back and get different info, which they don't tell you unless you ask. In this case, they said its gluten free because they don't ADD gluten to the product. But that the companies they get their ingredients from may have added gluten to the ingredient. Does that make sense? When I get confusing answers like that, and am told an ingredient most likely has gluten in it, I do NOT feel comfortable taking that medicine! Hope that your daughter feels better soon!!!:)

#6 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

From Rxlist:
lansoprazole (active ingredient) and the following inactive ingredients: sugar sphere, sucrose, methacrylic acid copolymer, low substituted hydroxypropyl cellulose, starch, magnesium carbonate, talc, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide, polysorbate 80, hydroxypropyl cellulose, colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C Red No. 28, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Green No. 31, and FD&C Red No. 40.

Wow. I'm a newbie, but our GI is not!

#7 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

I got diagnosed with gastritis at 13. I haven't had any problems with it since gluten-free, unless I eat late at night or a ton of acidic foods.

#8 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

I just emailed our GI. Here's her response:

"The amount of possible gluten in pills is likely not an issue. However, the liquid is gluten free for sure."

She's going to reorder so we can get the liquid version.

#9 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

I'm sorry, I was not aware there was a liquid version! I was taking the Solutab because I couldn't swallow the pill. The Solutab was a dissolvable tablet. I may have to look into trying the liquid version if it is gluten free. Although, like I said before, check with the company yourself to be sure it is gluten free. I don't trust anyone to tell me something is gluten free unless I can verify it!

#10 AndrewNYC

AndrewNYC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

I seriously doubt there is any gluten at all in Prevacid. I am very sensitive and have been taking it for awhile, no problems.

Also--regarding the comment about having a prescription refilled--Prevacid is not in fact a prescription medication. It is sold over the counter.

It is a very helpful medication for gastritis. It is also extremely helpful to give a gastritis person the most natural diet possible, free of any preservatives, sugar, salt, processed foods, any kind of junk.

#11 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

I totally agree about a natural diet. Fortunately our kids eat out of our garden and from the fruit trees multiple times a day. Pasta does find its way in...and Udi's pizza dough. I'm also finding that aloe juice is really helpful for our little girl with gastritis!

#12 Mom2J112903

Mom2J112903

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

My son is on Prevacid and Axid for GERD. He has been batteling GERD since day one and formally dx at less than 6wks of age. He is now almost 8.5yrs and still batteling the GERD demon. We tried Prilosec, Zantac and even Reglan with no positive effects. Prevacid has been the best until the most recent flair and we had to add in Axid.
Crystal, Stay-at-home and homeschooling Momma to a one and only little warrior man with numerous GI disorders which have lead to Elecare Jr via g-tube as soul nutrition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: