2 replies to this topic

#1 hamiam

hamiam

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

I got my test results back and they were negative...I was not surprised the antibody test was negative because I had been gluten free for a month and a half (which I told my doctor, she decided to do it anyway but said it wouldn't be accurate) but I was a little surprised the genetic test was also neg. because a gluten free diet has made a HUGE difference - I had many of the typical symptoms of celiac before eliminating gluten including a rash that sounded very much like dermatitis herpetiform (dr. could not confirm because it went away after going off gluten and before I saw her). Does this mean I definitely don't have celiac but could still be gluten intolerant? (I am also lactose intolerant and don't seem to do well with corn.) Here are my genetic test results, let me know what you think.

The patient does not have the HLA-DQ variants associated with celiac disease. More than 97% of celiac patients carry either HLA-DQ2 (DQA*05/DQB1*02) or HLA-DQ8 (DQA1*03/DQB1*0302)

HLA-DQ2 (DQA1*05/DQB1*02) Negative
HLA-DQ8 (DQA1*03/DQB1*0302) Negative
HLA-DQA1* 01
HLA-DQA1* 02
HLA-DQB1* 0202
HLA-DQB1* 0501

Typing performed by PCR and hybridization with sequence specific ogligonucleotide probes (SSO).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

More than 97% of celiac patients carry either...

Hi and welcome.

Notice that it's not 100%. The other 3% of celiac patients do not have a so-called celiac gene.

You can also get very sick from non-celiac gluten intolerance. It seems a little unusual for DH to go away that fast. Mine took about 3 years off gluten to get to where I never had itching.

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

There are people who have Celiac that do not have either of these two genes. They are learning more and more --through research-- about the genetics involved.

And Skylark is right; you can still be very ill from gluten and have a sensitivity to it, even if you are if not a full-blown Celiac.

Even the "top celiac docs" are starting to agree--there is NCGI (non-celiac gluten intolerance ) or gluten sensitivity that causes damage to the body.

The bottom line is--if you feel better off gluten, that is your answer. :)

You may wish to read these 2 articles:

http://celiacdisease...sensitivity.htm

http://celiacdisease...iac-disease.htm

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: