This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Awaiting Test Results For 10 Year Old Son

Momma4

Momma4 Rookie

My 10 year old son is in the process of being tested for Celiac disease after years of stomach pain and diarrhea. I concluded that he was lactose intolerant in January '12 (because my 4th child was diagnosed at 12 months with lactose intolerance-but he still has diarrhea sometimes). We went lactose free and avioded as much dairy as possible but the stomach pain and diarrhea continued, although to a lesser extent. Because of this, we went back to the doctor in March and the doctor said he had lost weight since January. Some days I think it may just be lactose intolerance and other days I think it could be Celiac. Aside from stomach pain, diarrhea, weight loss and lactose intolerance, other symptoms he has are constant mouth sores, difficulty sleeping, inattention, gas and bloating, itchy skin. He has had some brown spots on his teeth. He has had one cavity and delayed eruption of adult teeth(the dentist had to pull a baby tooth because it just wasnt going to come out as there wasn't anything behind it yet to push it out). He does have a peanut allergy as well. We also have autoimmune disorders in our family (RA, Hypothyroidism). I do have other children with similar issues, although not as severe as my oldest. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with their children. Am I just reading too much into his symptoms? Or do you think it could be Celiac? I'm a little confused as to what to do next if the tests do come back negative. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

It sounds like he has all the symptoms of celiac disease and a family history of autoimmune conditions - I would actually be surprised if the tests came back negative.

The lactose intolerance can be caused by celiac damage, so that could be a symptom too.

I would finish the testing (blood tests and biopsy) then give the gluten-free diet a try for a few months. If he doesn't test positive for celiac disease he could still have gluten intolerance and benefit greatly from the diet.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

Cara

Momma4 Rookie

Thanks for your reply. I will continue to look for answers for my son. Where I live, it takes a month to get the results. I guess I needed some validation through this forum in connecting his symptoms to Celiac. When the doctor said he was giong to test him, I did some research on Celiac and was shocked to see the similarities. Thanks again for listening.

Roda Rising Star

My oldest son(now 11) has had various symptoms. Since birth he suffered constipation. Tried everything under the sun when he was little to age 4. He also suffered from Gas, bloating, abdominal pain, slow/stalled growth and cavities. He was around 7 when I was diagnosed with celiac. I had him and his little brother blood tested and they were negative. Oldest boy has been blood tested every year since then and was negative. What really got me seriouslly considering he may have a gluten problem was after his little brother was diagnosed by blood work when he was 5 almost six(in hindsite I think my youngest was celiac since he was a baby). I decided to consult with a GI and get him scoped in case he was a seronegative celiac. His scope/biopsy was negative also. I bit the bullet and decided to trial him gluten free for three months after his scope. The difference was unbelievable. His constant almost daily stomach aches went away as well as the gas and bloating. He started gaining weight and growing in height. He did test gluten after the trial and suffered some minor stomach aches, but he didn't eat very much. He decided that he felt better gluten free and decided to stay that way for now. It has been almost 8 months now and he is doing great!

Archived