19 replies to this topic

#1 dws

dws

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

This subject has been posted before without much response, but I thought I'd give it a try. There is a Thai grocery near my house and they carry rice and tapioca flour as well as potato starch. One brand they carry is Erawan. The owners say a lot of celiacs buy the flours. Has anyone been able to find out about possible cc issues with this or other asian companies? I sent out an email to Erawan several days ago, but nothing but silence so far. The flour is cheap and close by for me, but if I can't confirm it is made and packaged in a gluten free facility, I won't use it. There are Thai procuded wheat flours in the store so its not like thailand is especially a gluten free country.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

This subject has been posted before without much response, but I thought I'd give it a try. There is a Thai grocery near my house and they carry rice and tapioca flour as well as potato starch. One brand they carry is Erawan. The owners say a lot of celiacs buy the flours. Has anyone been able to find out about possible cc issues with this or other asian companies? I sent out an email to Erawan several days ago, but nothing but silence so far. The flour is cheap and close by for me, but if I can't confirm it is made and packaged in a gluten free facility, I won't use it. There are Thai procuded wheat flours in the store so its not like thailand is especially a gluten free country.

Oriental markets can be an inexpensive source for gluten-free flours. I looked them up online and it looks like they don't produce gluten flours at all? I would consider them safe and give them a try.
http://www.erawan.th...d.com/index.htm

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

I buy my rice flour from an oriental store and have never had a problem with it, and I'm pretty sensitive. I've used it in a variety of recipes. I just wish I could master thai rice pancakes! :)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 dws

dws

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Oriental markets can be an inexpensive source for gluten-free flours. I looked them up online and it looks like they don't produce gluten flours at all? I would consider them safe and give them a try.
http://www.erawan.th...d.com/index.htm

Yeah, I checked out their website too but could not tell if they produced it or if they were just distributors who obtained it from others who produce who knows what else. They are called Erawan Marketing Co. so they may just buy it from whoever is cheapest that week. I'm not against giving it a try though.

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

I've been afraid of flour that isn't tested for gluten since that Tricia Thompson study. I skip the oriental store stuff and pay the extra for Bob's Red Mill.

If you do decide to try imported flour, also beware of bugs. I bought imported red rice and a couple months later it was full of moths! Fortunately I had put it in a canister that seals well so they didn't infest the pantry.

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

I've had the bugs in non-imported flours, so I wouldn't blame it just on imported ones.

FWIW, I don't seem to react noticeably to small amounts of CC but I most certainly do react to any substantial amount of gluten, and I've yet to ever have a problem with a flour I bought at an Asian market.

richard

#7 dws

dws

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

I've been afraid of flour that isn't tested for gluten since that Tricia Thompson study. I skip the oriental store stuff and pay the extra for Bob's Red Mill.

If you do decide to try imported flour, also beware of bugs. I bought imported red rice and a couple months later it was full of moths! Fortunately I had put it in a canister that seals well so they didn't infest the pantry.

Can you tell me more about the study you mentioned? Edit: That's ok, I looked on line and found it. The chances of cc can be high without testing. It's just a shame that some of these asian sources may actually be gluten free and produced in gluten free facilities but we just can't be sure since the info is just not there. Still no answer to the email I sent them. Probably not a good sign.

#8 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

An added bonus to purchasing rice flour in Asian stores is that it is finer than regular rice flour and thus better for cooking and baking.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#9 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

An added bonus to purchasing rice flour in Asian stores is that it is finer than regular rice flour and thus better for cooking and baking.

Yes! Yes! Yes! . . . Cheaper (99 cents/lb) and finer ground. We prefer it to BRM. I buy Flying Horse brand. We haven't had any issues with it
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#10 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

When I first went gluten-free years ago, I purchased flour from the oriental market. Used it for about a year.Went for my yearly check-upwith tons of bloodwork. Came back I had high levels of lead... which I didn't have the year prior. Doctor questioned me & I told him what I was using. He stopped me & said rice flour & such from China are full of lead... Since that I have had no lead issues.Products from Thailand are"supposed"to be safe but I just don't take chances .. Cheap is not always better...

I felt no side effects from using oriental rice flours so I didn't know the damage I was causing to myself until the high lead level ...only found through blood work....

#11 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:27 AM

Erawan Brand is perfectly fine. It is widely sold in Australia: and to do that, they have to declare gluten, manufacturing lines and contamination ...
These are the ones that I use ..
Tapioca starch
glutinous or sweet rice flour
Rice Flour
Potato starch

#12 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

When I first went gluten-free years ago, I purchased flour from the oriental market. Used it for about a year.Went for my yearly check-upwith tons of bloodwork. Came back I had high levels of lead... which I didn't have the year prior. Doctor questioned me & I told him what I was using. He stopped me & said rice flour & such from China are full of lead... Since that I have had no lead issues.Products from Thailand are"supposed"to be safe but I just don't take chances .. Cheap is not always better...

I felt no side effects from using oriental rice flours so I didn't know the damage I was causing to myself until the high lead level ...only found through blood work....

Thanks for the info - I was unaware of this. Thankfully I do not use white rice flour often, anyway, as it is so low in nutritional value and so many flours work better in baking. It is excellent for crispy things such as tempura but often falls flat unless combined with other things when baking.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#13 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

I was totally dumb-founded when doc told me I had high lead levels...but I'm so glad this doc loves to run lots of blood work... I agree way better flour available...

#14 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

I was totally dumb-founded when doc told me I had high lead levels...but I'm so glad this doc loves to run lots of blood work... I agree way better flour available...

I can imagine! It would not be something you would ever think of. I am glad you mentioned it here.

#15 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

:angry: It seems like there should be some restrictions in place to keep China from shipping their toxic things here! Kids toys and jewelry..and now food too? :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: