19 replies to this topic

#16 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

When I first went gluten-free years ago, I purchased flour from the oriental market. Used it for about a year.Went for my yearly check-upwith tons of bloodwork. Came back I had high levels of lead... which I didn't have the year prior. Doctor questioned me & I told him what I was using. He stopped me & said rice flour & such from China are full of lead... Since that I have had no lead issues.Products from Thailand are"supposed"to be safe but I just don't take chances .. Cheap is not always better...

I felt no side effects from using oriental rice flours so I didn't know the damage I was causing to myself until the high lead level ...only found through blood work....

Wow, that's good to know. It's sad but after the melamine thing and the arsenic in imported apple juice, I am a little afraid of food from China. Not to say US food is always safe, but there seems to be more monitoring here.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

I agree junk from China is just that JUNK

#18 dws

dws

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

Erawan Brand is perfectly fine. It is widely sold in Australia: and to do that, they have to declare gluten, manufacturing lines and contamination ...
These are the ones that I use ..
Tapioca starch
glutinous or sweet rice flour
Rice Flour
Potato starch

That's encouraging. Might just have to give it a try.

#19 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:51 AM

The Erawan brand is Thai not mainland Chinese .. and the Tung Chun Soy Sauce & Canned Food Co Ltd has been in Hong Kong since 1876 ..

Lead levels are a world-wide problem.

High levels of lead have been detected in European, American, and most First World croplands due to it's use in petroleum products especially from combustion engines, the wide-spread use of lead paints that breakdown over time, and the use of processed "biosolids" {polite word} in agriculture. And then there is the lead levels in the birds, animals and fish that we eat ..

#20 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

Auzzi

You are correct Lead is worldwide... But for me I do an extensive screening yearly for lead,mercury & so on.The only thingI changed in my living habits was the flour ........And I did mention that I hear products from Thailand are safe but I choose to not use these as well...

Things coming from China (toys, food) are not safe & I would rather just not use these things for my family than down the road find out I caused harm to a family member because I took the less expensive way out... not to say that the US does not have issues as well.. And also for economy reasons I try to buy US made goods...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: