#1 Menic

Menic

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

Full article

I don't know about this one. An article by someone who went to a paleo diet conference and heard something from a company that will sell you blood tests. The whole thing sounds pretty sketchy with not much sound scientific information. Also, I don't think it's a good idea to identify your expert as a "functional neurologist". That's like saying I'm a functional skydiver because I jumped out of a tree once....

So, yeah..... is there any more credible sources on this?
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

In a nutshell, fairly recent lab research has revealed that 10% of coffee is a protein that cross reacts with gluten antibodies.

This means that if you are gluten sensitive or celiac and are avoiding gluten containing grains or perhaps have even gone completely grain free, if you still drink coffee there is a strong likelihood that the protein in the coffee is triggering the very same gluten related health problems you are trying to avoid.

In other words, even if you think you are doing fine with your current gluten free diet, it is very possible that skipping the coffee could take your health to the next level.

And what's this "cross-reacts"? <_<
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

Ok, now i'm confused. I thought that coffee was safe. Since I can't find any safe tea, I drink coffee. Is coffee gluten free or not?

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Ok, now i'm confused. I thought that coffee was safe. Since I can't find any safe tea, I drink coffee. Is coffee gluten free or not?

Unflavored coffee is gluten free.
Lisa

#5 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

I'd like some more experienced Celiacs to weigh in, but I have never heard of anyone ever saying that coffee causes a reaction in Celiacs.

From what I read, the author is saying that people react to the protein in coffee the same way that they would react to gluten, causing an auto-immune response.

Again, I didn't see any real scientific information, just second-hand information and a rather jumbled description. Sadly, this article is all over Twitter.

I don't know about the site that published the article, but the author claims to have gotten the information at an expo for the Paleo diet, which would argue not drinking coffee anyways. I don't know if this is a PETA-like attempt to keep people away from coffee or what.

Until there is actual available information or some sort of corroboration from a better source, I'd just treat the whole thing as unbelievable.
Male, born 1979.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Yes coffee is gluten-free. This is someone saying something outrageous to get noticed, in my opinion. YOu can put anything on the internet and find someone who will "bite".

Sometimes people can't drink coffee, sometimes people can't eat coconut or peanuts....it has nothing to do with gluten.

Besides, how much protein could be in a brewed beverage?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

‚ÄúThe main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.‚ÄĚ  - George Carlin

‚ÄúOne can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.‚ÄĚ  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

I think the topic of "cross reaction" is relatively new. I have heard of no "official" concerns about cross reaction foods and Celiac Disease.

I have only heard blog chatter. And it certainly would not prevent me from my coffee. B)
Lisa

#8 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

I wish all of these so called experts would crawl under some rock and never come out. :rolleyes:

I need to quit being so gullible and believing crap I read on the net....Kind of like if you go to webmd and look something up, you can convince yourself your have some horrible disease when you simply had a headache..or whatever. :rolleyes:

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

I wish all of these so called experts would crawl under some rock and never come out. :rolleyes:

I need to quit being so gullible and believing crap I read on the net....Kind of like if you go to webmd and look something up, you can convince yourself your have some horrible disease when you simply had a headache..or whatever. :rolleyes:

Need a little "Thumbs up" emoticon guy! :)

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

‚ÄúThe main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.‚ÄĚ  - George Carlin

‚ÄúOne can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.‚ÄĚ  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#10 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

The source Dr. David Clark is a chiropractor. He calls himself a chiropractic neurologist. That is very different from a M.D. neurologist.

#11 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Ignore it. Drink coffee if you want.

richard

#12 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

Ignore it. Drink coffee if you want.

richard

Oh, I will. :)
Male, born 1979.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#13 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:03 AM

Coffee is not something I'd give up just because *someone* thinks I should. I think we need to take some of the statements these people make with a grain of salt.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#14 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Since I was curious

from www.coffeechemistry.com (take that article, I unlike you, can site references)

Table 1a: Amino acid composition of coffee (%)
Arabica Robusta

Amino Acid Green Roasted Green Roasted
Alanine 4.75 4.76 4.87 6.84
Arginine 3.61 0.0 2.28 0.0
Asparagine 10.63 9.53 9.44 8.94
Cysteine 2.89 0.76 3.87 0.14
Glutamic acid 19.88 21.11 17.88 24.01
Glycine 6.40 6.71 6.26 7.68
Histidine 2.79 2.27 1.79 2.23
Isoleucine 4.64 4.76 4.11 5.03
Leucine 8.77 10.18 9.04 9.65
Lysine 6.81 3.46 5.36 2.23
Methionine 1.44 1.08 1.29 1.68
Phenylalanine 5.78 5.95 4.67 7.26
Proline 6.60 6.82 6.46 9.35
Serine 5.88 2.60 4.97 0.14
Theorine 3.82 2.71 3.48 2.37
Tyrosine 3.61 4.11 7.45 9.49
Valine 8.05 6.93 6.95 10.47

Summary: No gluten or gliadin.

Cheers!
Male, born 1979.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#15 moose07

moose07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

The article doesn't say that there is gluten in coffee. It says there is a protien in coffee that can cause the same harmful effects as gluten does in people with a gluten issue. I'm not really sure why everyone is disagreeing with this guy. I do think I need to see some more research before I give up my coffee, however, there are still people who says celiacs is a fad. If we are on this forum we know celiacs is NOT a fad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: