• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,989 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

If coffee had gluten I would have been dead years ago. :ph34r:

Even if it isn't "gluten," I consume enough of it that if it was problematic, I would certainly know by now. Enjoy your coffee!
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jess_gf

jess_gf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:38 AM

I've heard various things in bloggerland about other foods cross-reacting, or rather that their molecules can look close enough like gluten that the body believes it is gluten and reacts accordingly. While I doubt the paleo conference is trying to pull one over on everyone (coffee is allowed on the paleo/primal diet) I also would not be ready to quit coffee just yet until I see more hard proof.
Gluten Free since 11/2010
Dairy Free since 01/2011

#18 jess_gf

jess_gf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

Ok, now i'm confused. I thought that coffee was safe. Since I can't find any safe tea, I drink coffee. Is coffee gluten free or not?

You can't find any safe tea? Most tea is safe unless it has barley/malt flavoring added. Bigelow and Celestial Seasonings are two major brands that label which of their teas are gluten-free and I've never had a problem with them. Right now I'm drinking a cup of Trader Joe's Earl Grey.
Gluten Free since 11/2010
Dairy Free since 01/2011

#19 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

Some tea has barley but most is safe.

richard

#20 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

The amino acid composition of coffee isn't even remotely relevant. All proteins are made of amino acids.

Dr. Kharrazzian is saying the same thing about a few people who are gluten sensitive cross-reacting to coffee. He says the data is coming out of Cyrex labs. There is peer-reviewed literature on dairy cross-reactions, a poorly executed study on corn cross-reactions (their corn turned out to be CC'd with 80 ppm gluten), and some very old articles showing that people with celiac tend to have more food antibodies to dairy and soy. I haven't found anything peer-reviewed on the coffee so I don't know how they determined that it's a cross-reaction with gluten vs. an occasional food sensitivity.

There is no harm in eliminating coffee for a few weeks to see how you feel. Even if it's not a gluten cross-reaction it can be an allergy/sensitivity. Just make sure you're drinking something else caffeinated like tea or taper off to avoid caffeine withdrawal headaches.

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

I can't do caffeine in either coffee or tea. But that doesn't mean it is a gluten causing a problem for me. It's the caffiene that mucks me up.

Make your own tea: shake some cinnamon and ginger in your teapot and let it heat up. Add some chocolate powder if you like. Chocolate does have some caffeine it though so watch out for that if you are avoiding it.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

This again??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The "cross-reactivity" theory has been floated on this site before.

It comes from some chiropractors and the owner of Cyrex Labs.

They offer "testing" to show that you "cross-react" with other foods that are "similar" to gluten proteins. (this is not the same as the term "cross-reactivity" as it applies to allergies)

I have searched and searched for medical and scientific articles
and there is no credible evidence that such a thing exists.

I did read one article that was cleverly cobbed together to make it sound like it was valid. I can do that, too.

But honestly, if coffee proteins or any other food proteins (besides the ones we know we should avoid) were a danger to celiacs like us, don't you think doctors and researchers like Fasano, et.al. we would know about it by now??

It's info from a sales-pitch. Whenever anyone wants to sell you information to "make you all better"...it's probably a scam.

IMHO

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

‚ÄúIf idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.‚ÄĚ‚Äē Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#23 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

Actually I find the published scientific evidence for dairy cross-reactivity very credible. The rest... not so much.

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Actually I find the published scientific evidence for dairy cross-reactivity very credible. The rest... not so much.

Yes, the dairy is the exception---as you mentioned this earlier ---and I should have re- stated that once more in my rant. :lol:
Apologies & thanks for re-clarifying.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

I need to quit being so gullible and believing crap I read on the net....

Some things people post on here are misleading, too and we work very hard to "myth-bust" all the time. B) But it is not always easy.

Bottom line--if someone wants $$$ to "magically cure" you--it's BS.
If there were a CURE for Celiac, it would be front page news and the person who figured it out would win the Nobel Prize in Medicine.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#26 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

I know coffee has some occasionally... unsalutary effects on me, but it ain't gluten. Wouldn't all us old-timers have noticed a problem with this by now? Especially since I've reacted to such ridiculous things as sour cream that had corn starch in it that was 'same facility'.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#27 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

Yes coffee is gluten-free. This is someone saying something outrageous to get noticed, in my opinion. YOu can put anything on the internet and find someone who will "bite".

Sometimes people can't drink coffee, sometimes people can't eat coconut or peanuts....it has nothing to do with gluten.

Besides, how much protein could be in a brewed beverage?

Personally I think that its the grounds that irritate an all ready sensitive stomache lining...I also heard the same thing about peanuts reacting like gluten...personally ...I find its the oil in the nut...small amounts seem fine .the more coffee(grounds)/peanuts(nut oil) consumed the bigger chance of tummy upset...but GLUTEN..REALLY?!
Maybe in INSTANT coffee (as an emoulsifier)! But the coffee its self? HMMMMM!LOL! :rolleyes: :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#28 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

You can't find any safe tea? Most tea is safe unless it has barley/malt flavoring added. Bigelow and Celestial Seasonings are two major brands that label which of their teas are gluten-free and I've never had a problem with them. Right now I'm drinking a cup of Trader Joe's Earl Grey.

Trader Joes IRISH BREAKFAST....OUR FAVORITE....Yummmmmmmmmm! Mint medly,white pomagranete,and english breakfast are also yummy!!!So is the seasonal one with vanilla cinimon with the lemour on it! LOL! Trader Joes tea is SooooooYUMMY! :lol:
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#29 Eleanor Creasey

Eleanor Creasey

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

Placing a link to that article just gets it more attention. That is what this person wants. Just sayin.:)
Gluten-free since 2000

#30 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

Maybe in INSTANT coffee (as an emoulsifier)! But the coffee its self? HMMMMM!LOL! :rolleyes: :D

NO. There is no gluten in plain coffee--instant or brewed.

In the June 2010 publication of Gluten Free Living, they state "Plain coffee is gluten free. This includes ground regular and decaffeinated and instant coffee. Flavored coffee has always been considered suspicious in the gluten-free community, but in most cases it, too, is gluten free."

If it is flavored, READ THE LABEL!!!!!

If it is FREEZE-DRIED--READ THE LABEL. I read one article on LIVESTRONG (FWIW) that suggested some company used flour in it? Cannot say if that is true.

It comes down to this: If there is wheat in it, the label will tell you so.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: