This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"Don

Menic

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I know coffee has some occasionally... unsalutary effects on me, but it ain't gluten. Wouldn't all us old-timers have noticed a problem with this by now? Especially since I've reacted to such ridiculous things as sour cream that had corn starch in it that was 'same facility'.

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cougie23 Explorer

Yes coffee is gluten-free. This is someone saying something outrageous to get noticed, in my opinion. YOu can put anything on the internet and find someone who will "bite".

Sometimes people can't drink coffee, sometimes people can't eat coconut or peanuts....it has nothing to do with gluten.

Besides, how much protein could be in a brewed beverage?

Personally I think that its the grounds that irritate an all ready sensitive stomache lining...I also heard the same thing about peanuts reacting like gluten...personally ...I find its the oil in the nut...small amounts seem fine .the more coffee(grounds)/peanuts(nut oil) consumed the bigger chance of tummy upset...but GLUTEN..REALLY?!

Maybe in INSTANT coffee (as an emoulsifier)! But the coffee its self? HMMMMM!LOL! :rolleyes::D

cougie23 Explorer

You can't find any safe tea? Most tea is safe unless it has barley/malt flavoring added. Bigelow and Celestial Seasonings are two major brands that label which of their teas are gluten-free and I've never had a problem with them. Right now I'm drinking a cup of Trader Joe's Earl Grey.

Trader Joes IRISH BREAKFAST....OUR FAVORITE....Yummmmmmmmmm! Mint medly,white pomagranete,and english breakfast are also yummy!!!So is the seasonal one with vanilla cinimon with the lemour on it! LOL! Trader Joes tea is SooooooYUMMY! :lol:

Eleanor Creasey Rookie

Placing a link to that article just gets it more attention. That is what this person wants. Just sayin.:)

IrishHeart Veteran

Maybe in INSTANT coffee (as an emoulsifier)! But the coffee its self? HMMMMM!LOL! :rolleyes::D

NO. There is no gluten in plain coffee--instant or brewed.

In the June 2010 publication of Gluten Free Living, they state "Plain coffee is gluten free. This includes ground regular and decaffeinated and instant coffee. Flavored coffee has always been considered suspicious in the gluten-free community, but in most cases it, too, is gluten free."

If it is flavored, READ THE LABEL!!!!!

If it is FREEZE-DRIED--READ THE LABEL. I read one article on LIVESTRONG (FWIW) that suggested some company used flour in it? Cannot say if that is true.

It comes down to this: If there is wheat in it, the label will tell you so.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Before I was diagnosed with celiac I took a short course on how to raise your metabolism. At the time I thought my problems was that my metabolism had slowed and it just needed a kick-start. In the class the instructor spoke about the various things that polute the liver and coffee was one. Stress, prescript meds, injected meats and pesticides on fruits and veggies were the others. It was enough for my husband to stop drinking coffee, he drinks tea now.

Skylark Collaborator

What does the phrase "pollute the liver" mean? And how did your instructor explain how tea, which is comparably chemically complex plus very high in fluoride and salicylates, is somehow magically better than coffee? And what about other chemically complex antioxidant foods like red wine, chocolate, or blueberries. Do those "pollute the liver"?

Sorry, but I'm getting really frustrated with these coffee threads. Caffeine is fairly anti-inflammatory, which a lot of us could really use. There are also some epidemiological studies suggesting that coffee is mildly neuroprotective against Alzheimer's. It is also rich in the same polyphenols and flavenoids that give red wine and chocolate their antioxidant properties, but without the sugar or alcohol.

I'm trying to figure out why we have so many people suddenly trying to make coffee into a villian. It just doesn't make sense.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cougie23 Explorer

Ignore it. Drink coffee if you want.

richard

Its quite simple really...If it bothers you...don't drink it! If it DOESN't...ENJOY!!! LOL! everyone is different...listen to your body...it will tell you if you can have it or not! espescially a CELIACS body!!!LOL! :rolleyes::blink::lol:

Skylark Collaborator

Its quite simple really...If it bothers you...don't drink it! If it DOESN't...ENJOY!!!

This is possibly the most sensible post in this whole thread. :lol:

cougie23 Explorer

NO. There is no gluten in plain coffee--instant or brewed.

In the June 2010 publication of Gluten Free Living, they state "Plain coffee is gluten free. This includes ground regular and decaffeinated and instant coffee. Flavored coffee has always been considered suspicious in the gluten-free community, but in most cases it, too, is gluten free."

If it is flavored, READ THE LABEL!!!!!

If it is FREEZE-DRIED--READ THE LABEL. I read one article on LIVESTRONG (FWIW) that suggested some company used flour in it? Cannot say if that is true.

It comes down to this: If there is wheat in it, the label will tell you so.

Hi IRISH!... The only reason I mentioned that is because my FOLGERS INSTANT BREAKFAST NESCAFE says gluten-free on it, and I was thinking...Is there coffee WITH gluten? There must be if theres a need to Lable it...like I said...maybe as an emulsifier or bonding agent!also I've read that in instant coffee it CAN be used to keep the nice crystal shape in instant coffee...just saying! Like you said...and I tell other people...READ THOSE LABLES!!! :D

Skylark Collaborator

Very rarely, flavored coffee has barley malt in the "natural flavorings". If you like the flavored coffees it's best to write the manufacturer and ask. I know Peet's brand is safe. Plain unflavored coffee is naturally gluten-free.

AVR1962 Collaborator

What does the phrase "pollute the liver" mean? And how did your instructor explain how tea, which is comparably chemically complex plus very high in fluoride and salicylates, is somehow magically better than coffee? And what about other chemically complex antioxidant foods like red wine, chocolate, or blueberries. Do those "pollute the liver"?

Sorry, but I'm getting really frustrated with these coffee threads. Caffeine is fairly anti-inflammatory, which a lot of us could really use. There are also some epidemiological studies suggesting that coffee is mildly neuroprotective against Alzheimer's. It is also rich in the same polyphenols and flavenoids that give red wine and chocolate their antioxidant properties, but without the sugar or alcohol.

I'm trying to figure out why we have so many people suddenly trying to make coffee into a villian. It just doesn't make sense.

Skylark, I think it is like anything else....there's lots of difference thoughts are various foods as to whether they are good or bad for you. I think a prson has to weigh the info and decide for themselves. This instructor was saying that coffee is loaded with all kinds of chemicals which happens in the processing before it goes to the grocery store shelves. She said the bean itself is not the problem.

Skylark Collaborator

Skylark, I think it is like anything else....there's lots of difference thoughts are various foods as to whether they are good or bad for you. I think a prson has to weigh the info and decide for themselves. This instructor was saying that coffee is loaded with all kinds of chemicals which happens in the processing before it goes to the grocery store shelves. She said the bean itself is not the problem.

Huh? I'm sorry but this instructor doesn't know what s/he is talking about. There are no chemicals used in coffee processing. Go look it up yourself! The bean has the fruit either naturally fermented or scrubbed off, it is dried, the hull mechanically removed, it's sometimes aged, and then it is roasted.

If you are concerned about pesticides or decaf, buy organic. Only CO2 and water processed decaf are allowed to be labeled organic.

Archived