9 replies to this topic

#1 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

I know, I'm not here very often, but the people who are here longer should still know me. I have a "new" problem now as it seems and was hoping to find somebody with similar experiences. Since I have to leave for my pm run in about 10 minutes I haven't read any of the posts yet, I'll do that later tonight. OK, here it goes: As most of the older people know, I was diagnosed for celiac and went glutenfree 07/21/04. It's been almost 10 years now and though I've had initial problems with accidental glutening in the beginning, I can say to 100% that I'm glutenfree now. I didn't really change anything in my diet, other than in my drinks. In 2004 I used to be lactose intolerant initially, but that disappeared about 6 months into the glutenfree diet. With my new job in September I started to make peppermint tea from Bigeloq and bottled it in empty water bottles, put stevia in, which is glutenfree and took it with me to work. Sometimes in December I once forgot my tea and started drinking the Maxwell office coffee with that powdery milk stuff in it and stevia. The powdered milk stuff with vanilla flavor is gluten- as well as lactose free. Well, needless to say, I got addicted to that stuff, but that was around the time, when my gluten initiated pain came back, with the difference that I didn't have any gluten. Now it's even there, when I don't drink the coffee over the weekend. I took lactose tabs, but there was just a little pain relief. What can this be? Am I going nuts? Can you be allergic to coffee? What's going on? Anybody with the same experiences?
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Maggie Mermaid

Maggie Mermaid

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Well, my husband's allergy tests showed that he is highly allergic or intolerant to caffeine. I had never heard of that before his test results. He's avoided caffeine since as well as a myriad of other foods so it's not clear how the caffeine affects him. His skin conditions are/were the indicator for the gluten intolerance.

Personally, my stomach does not tolerate the powdered or fake liquid creamers so I've had to avoid them.

Best of luck on figuring it out.
Enlarged thyroid with nodules and Hashimoto's diagnosed 2007. Self-diagnosed as gluten-intolerant.

Husband is gluten-intolerant, also self-diagnosed, suffered from severe eczema which has largely disappeared since avoiding wheat, corn, tomatoes, tree nuts.

#3 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

I know, I'm not here very often, but the people who are here longer should still know me. I have a "new" problem now as it seems and was hoping to find somebody with similar experiences. Since I have to leave for my pm run in about 10 minutes I haven't read any of the posts yet, I'll do that later tonight. OK, here it goes: As most of the older people know, I was diagnosed for celiac and went glutenfree 07/21/04. It's been almost 10 years now and though I've had initial problems with accidental glutening in the beginning, I can say to 100% that I'm glutenfree now. I didn't really change anything in my diet, other than in my drinks. In 2004 I used to be lactose intolerant initially, but that disappeared about 6 months into the glutenfree diet. With my new job in September I started to make peppermint tea from Bigeloq and bottled it in empty water bottles, put stevia in, which is glutenfree and took it with me to work. Sometimes in December I once forgot my tea and started drinking the Maxwell office coffee with that powdery milk stuff in it and stevia. The powdered milk stuff with vanilla flavor is gluten- as well as lactose free. Well, needless to say, I got addicted to that stuff, but that was around the time, when my gluten initiated pain came back, with the difference that I didn't have any gluten. Now it's even there, when I don't drink the coffee over the weekend. I took lactose tabs, but there was just a little pain relief. What can this be? Am I going nuts? Can you be allergic to coffee? What's going on? Anybody with the same experiences?

You could have delayed reaction (IgA or IgG mediated) allergies to almost anything, including herbs and spices. I have an IgG allergy to vanilla and nutmeg (as well as gluten, dairy, soy, egg and cane sugar). I was dx'd with celiac disease and went gluten free the same year you did. I'd had celiac (gastro) symptoms for most of my adult life, but I wasn't d'xd until age 56. Over the next2 years I was dx'd with thse 6 other allergens.

Many people who think they have lactose intolerance actually have allergy to dairy ingredients (casein and/or whey). Try eliminating anything you suspect an see how you feel.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#4 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Tanks for your responses. I'm going to have a journal for an exclusion diet for a while and see how that goes. Birder, I remember you from back when. We actually talked quite often.
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
Shermans Dale, PA

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Tanks for your responses. I'm going to have a journal for an exclusion diet for a while and see how that goes. Birder, I remember you from back when. We actually talked quite often.

Hey Stef and baby Luke...how about some pictures? B)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Elimination is the trick. It is almost certainly something you added to your diet at some point. I have problems with caffeine so I don;t doubt that could be a culprit. But it really could be anything at all causing a reaction. Your food diary should help identify the cause though. You can test for caffeine by trying different kinds of beverages. Like tea or yerba mata. They both have ccffeine but are not coffee. So if it is coffee itself but not caffeine you could still imbibe. I suppose decaf coffee would be just as good a test for that matter.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:18 AM

I'd get rid of that stuff you got addicted to. That was when you noticed a change. I think that you know it yourself, you just don't want to admit it. It may take a week or two to notice a difference. Hopefully you will.

#8 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

OK, I'm 3 days off of that coffee now and the pain, albeit still there every once in a while, got noticeably less. I will keep this up another week or two and then drink a cup and see what happens.
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
Shermans Dale, PA

#9 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Good, sounds like you are close to solving the riddle!
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#10 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

My last intolerance test showed that I am intolerant to green coffee beans. Whether or not that means I can drink roasted coffee beans I do not know. I just don't drink coffee to begin with so I guess I never will. I did drink it many years ago. I don't know if it was a problem or not.

But you can be allergic to anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: