Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Still Snacking Too Much

16 posts in this topic

I'm trying to figure out what needs to change in my diet so that I stop constantly snacking. My diet is healthy but I can't seem to last in between meals and I snack on nuts, dried fruit, chocolate, chips.. it's driving me crazy. I've been gluten free for 2 years and have done a lot of different things with my diet as my body has changed.

My thoughts are that I need to hydrate more. But beyond that.. why am I snacking? Prior to diagnosis I was incessantly hungry or weak and I ate constantly. I also couldnt' digest full sized meals. Now I am able to eat 500 - 600 calories at a sitting but still I snack!

It's frustrating too because I can't figure out if its a nutrition deficiency, just bad habits or a symptom of a food intolerance.

I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Ads by Google:

My weight is fine and has been consistent for a long time.

The eating feels a bit anxiety filled, but I think its frustration from not feeling satiated if that makes sense. Compared to before when I eat I do feel like I'm absorbing my food, so I have come a long way... I guess I just have a very long way more to go?

Perhaps...or you need to ensure you eat a balanced snack:no fruit by itself, always with protein or fiber, etc.?

As long as you don't feel gastro issues, or other distress, perhaps just try changing your food combinations?

Have you had your vitamin/mineral levels checked? If you're low on something that could make you hungry.

Thanks for your thoughts.. I am not low on vitamins, I've had that checked. And though I still struggle with constipation, I know for sure if I don't snack that tends to subside. I'm trying to change food combinations. My newest strategy is to cut back on sugar even more than I had. But it's hard because I feel so up and down and my stomach feels so hollow.

Well, if everything seems to be in order you may also consider hypoglycemia or diabetes. Both are known ro make you want to snack like crazy.

If I trigger a hypo episode (by eating too much sugar) I will eat all day and always be hungry unless I eat a bit if glucose (a few chocolate chips, half a granola bar). I also get hypo symptoms without having glucose below 60 - so while tracking your blood glucose is key, don't think you can't have symptoms without low glucose.

You may try buying a glucose monitor and tracking for a while.

Look up the Paleo diet and give it a try. It is grain free and very low in carbs but high in fat.

I have been sort of following it (but I include dairy and sometimes beans) for a few weeks now and I have found that switching from high carb/low fat diet to higher fat/low carb has solved the problem for me. I am no longer hungry between meals, I eat less calories over all during the day and my cravings for sugar and sweets are almost gone.

I don't go crazy low-carb and eat bacon and pork rinds all day . . . I try to keep my meats lean and get more fats from nuts, avocado, olive oil, nut butters, and coconut. I replaced the starch at dinner (rice or potatoes) with another serving of green vegetables and it seems to have made a difference.

If you are eating a lot of gluten free processed foods (breads, flour mixes, snacks, etc.) they are high in carbs and almost void of nutrition. A combination that will make you very hungry in between meals.

Cara

I have actually tried the paleo diet - it didn't help. (I really am working on this!)

Pricklypear I will follow up on your suggestion about hypoglycemia/diabetes. My sugar tests normal but I have the sense that there is something about sugar that I dont' know how to manage. I'll look into a glucose monitor.

I have actually tried the paleo diet - it didn't help. (I really am working on this!)

Pricklypear I will follow up on your suggestion about hypoglycemia/diabetes. My sugar tests normal but I have the sense that there is something about sugar that I dont' know how to manage. I'll look into a glucose monitor.

My sugar tests extremely normal. But not if I monitor it after every meal during one of those hypo episodes :).

I've found I don't do well with swings more than 15 points. Which means sticking to a low sugar diet - lots of fiver and protein but tons of veggies. Less fruits. Few grains.

Almond flour baking is my friend, as well as fatty stuff (ssssh). When I analyzed my favorite sweets they were low sugar/high fat. Fat was mediating the sugar. Then it clicked.

Having never tried the Paleo diet, don't know if this applies, did you give it long enough?

I did try low carb, took 3-4 days to get to the "hmm I am not hungry" stage.

you might try getting a fasting insulin drawn.

Having never tried the Paleo diet, don't know if this applies, did you give it long enough?

I did try low carb, took 3-4 days to get to the "hmm I am not hungry" stage.

you might try getting a fasting insulin drawn.

I tried the low carb / paleo /etc for a number of months. I learned that I can't eat light weight carbs (white rice, potatos) on a regular basis and that I feel better if I moderate my carbs. But it never solved the snacking :(

My sugar tests extremely normal. But not if I monitor it after every meal during one of those hypo episodes :).

I've found I don't do well with swings more than 15 points. Which means sticking to a low sugar diet - lots of fiver and protein but tons of veggies. Less fruits. Few grains.

Almond flour baking is my friend, as well as fatty stuff (ssssh). When I analyzed my favorite sweets they were low sugar/high fat. Fat was mediating the sugar. Then it clicked.

Ahh.. So THATs why I can pour on the olive oil! It sounds like you eat like I do -- lots of veggies. Thanks for the tips.

Ahh.. So THATs why I can pour on the olive oil! It sounds like you eat like I do -- lots of veggies. Thanks for the tips.

I am in what is apparently an evil cycle: Celiac, Hashimotos, adrenals, and hormones. The more I read about the sugar and cortisol and hormone issues the more I find my symptoms. And sugar is a big deal - meaning its estrogenic to the body, messes with cortisol, the digestive system doesn't like it...it goes on and on.

So, you may be in a cycle like that where it's more than Celiac. My testing shows low progesterone, low cortisol, and sub-ideal estrogen. That all loops back with vitamins/minerals and Celiac involvement. And then sugar is bad for all of it.

So anyway - its something to think about. But generally I'm better without sugar or high fiber/fat sugar. And lots of veggies. Veggies out my ears. Beans are good too but I forget about them...maybe because they take prep?

If your weight is OK and most else seems all right, why are you so concerned about snacking? Some people need to eat multiple small "meals" daily.

richard

You need to eat more protein, this helps you to feel full. Also incorporating healthy fats into your diet will help to satisfy you and make you crave less.

I know how you feel <_< I am just getting over this myself!

What I noticed was one: that eating sugar with my breakfast made me hungrier, and I used to just go mad eating and that would set the tone for the day....which would be constantly eating small snacks. I was spiking my bloodsugar, it was my own fault. I've stopped this and for the last month or so, I haven't done it!

Two: It really seems to be that it all comes down to fibre, protein, and fat. Those three things are what makes me feel full, so I eat a fibrous breakfast with good fats, found in eggs and whole grain bread. I eat more protein during the day, but not in excess....sometimes not enough. I'm not big on foods with protein :( But that's just me.

I also noticed that whenever I was craving something sweet, if I just had maybe one or two dark-chocolate covered almonds or peanuts, I was satisfied. I read one time that dark chocolate is good for you in the right amount and can ward off your cravings. Do you drink tea? Strong tea wards off hunger, as do strong coffee!

ORRRRR, maybe you're one of those lucky people whose metabolism is SO fast that you NEED the food! You're not gaining weight, there are no health effects...so why NOT snack?