Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Natural Flavorings/carmel Color Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 jenn42

jenn42

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

I'm still so confused about Natural Flavorings and Carmel Color. It's in EVERYTHING!! Can anyone explain this to me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

I'm still so confused about Natural Flavorings and Carmel Color. It's in EVERYTHING!! Can anyone explain this to me.

Carmel Color is not a gluten concern. Natural Flavorings must list wheat if it is source. But most times natural flavorings are secret spices.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 jenn42

jenn42

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

That's what I thought. Thank you :)

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

While "natural flavors" can contain gluten, they very rarely actually do. The most likely source would be barley malt, and that is a relatively expensive ingredient, so it is usually explicitly declared as "malt flavor."

If there were wheat in it, in the US and Canada it would be required by law to be disclosed as just that, "wheat."

Shelley Case on flavorings:

It would be rare to find a "natural or artificial flavoring" containing gluten (a) because hydrolyzed wheat protein cannot be hidden under the term "flavor." and (B) barley malt extract is almost always declared as "barley malt extract" or "barley malt flavoring." For this reason, most experts do not restrict natural and artificial flavorings in the gluten-free diet.

Gluten-Free Diet - A Comprehensive Resource Guide, published 2008, page 46

====================================================================================

Caramel color is one of those celiac urban myths that just won't go away.

Here is Shelley Case's take on it, from Gluten-Free Diet A Comprehensive Resource Guide:

Although gluten-containing ingredients (barley malt syrup and starch hydrolysates) can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies use corn as it has a longer shelf life and makes a superior product. European companies use glucose derived from wheat starch, however caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.

[Emphasis in original]
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 jizzzzie

jizzzzie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

Caramel coloring/flavours made in the US HAVE to be free of gluten. BUT if it is made elsewhere (which I'm not sure how to tell), then that is not the case I don't think. I have many gluten free products that have caramel color flavour in it, and since it says gluten free, I eat it. But if it doesn't, I don't. If I see something with multiple ingredients, especially suspicious ones, even if it is something i WOULDN'T suspect to have gluten, I do not eat it. So If I saw popcorn that had, let's say, "corn, sea salt, whey, natural parmasean flavoring, canola oil, safflower oil, caramel coloring
I wouldn't eat it. I would check in a gluten free list book, or the company.
Good luck, be careful!
~January 2010 diagnosed Celiac Disease
~IBS since.. forever!
~Anxiety, emeteophobia
~Lactose Intolerance
~ *in the past: fructose, glucose, soy intolerance.. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth..*
~Recovery-major weight gain difficulty
~Food fears, previous eating disorder ^related to food fears, not body image^
Meow! :3

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

Anything made overseas but sold in the U.S. still MUST list wheat if it's there.

richard

#7 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

What Richard said. IF they want to sell it in the US, they have to follow the rules and list wheat.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: