2 replies to this topic

#1 jenn42

jenn42

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

I recently read an article that states preservatives in foods are not good for celiacs and they shoud stay away. I recognize that preservatives are bad for everyone. It's just another concern and wanted to get feedback on this.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

There are preservatives, and there are preservatives.

There is good reason for everybody, including those of us with celiac disease, to avoid BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin.

I do not know of any reason why people with celiac disease should be any more concerned about preservatives than people who do not have celiac disease.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 benXX

benXX

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

There are preservatives, and there are preservatives.

There is good reason for everybody, including those of us with celiac disease, to avoid BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin.

I do not know of any reason why people with celiac disease should be any more concerned about preservatives than people who do not have celiac disease.

I've never seen them in the ingredients lists. So I looked them up and found their E-numbers

E321 - Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), also known as butylhydroxytoluene, is a lipophilic (fat-soluble) organic compound, chemically a derivative of phenol, that is useful for its antioxidant properties. European and U.S. regulations allow small percentages to be used as a food additive, but that is not without controversy ...

E320 - Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) is an antioxidant It is a waxy solid used as a food additive. The primary use for BHA is as an antioxidant and preservative in food, food packaging, animal feed, cosmetics, rubber, and petroleum products.

E324 - ethoxyquin is a quinoline-based antioxidant used as a food preservative and a pesticide (under commercial names such as "Stop-Scald").
Ben (58)

Diagnosed Celiac 12-Apr-2012
Dairy intolerant, B12 malabsorption, Bile acid malabsorption.
Osteopania
Lifetime of misdiagnoses.

2008-2011 Lived in Thailand, almost symptom free.
Now only eat Thai food.
Easy to cook - gluten/dairy free - delicious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: