Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Preservatives In Ingredients?

3 posts in this topic

I recently read an article that states preservatives in foods are not good for celiacs and they shoud stay away. I recognize that preservatives are bad for everyone. It's just another concern and wanted to get feedback on this.

Ads by Google:

There are preservatives, and there are preservatives.

There is good reason for everybody, including those of us with celiac disease, to avoid BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin.

I do not know of any reason why people with celiac disease should be any more concerned about preservatives than people who do not have celiac disease.

There are preservatives, and there are preservatives.

There is good reason for everybody, including those of us with celiac disease, to avoid BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin.

I do not know of any reason why people with celiac disease should be any more concerned about preservatives than people who do not have celiac disease.

I've never seen them in the ingredients lists. So I looked them up and found their E-numbers

E321 - Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), also known as butylhydroxytoluene, is a lipophilic (fat-soluble) organic compound, chemically a derivative of phenol, that is useful for its antioxidant properties. European and U.S. regulations allow small percentages to be used as a food additive, but that is not without controversy ...

E320 - Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) is an antioxidant