48 replies to this topic

#1 OliviaB

OliviaB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

I just got diagnosed with Celiacs yesterday. I am still feeling very overwhelmed by the whole thing. They called me at about 4:00 in the evening and said my EGD confirmed that I have Celiacs and that I need to be on a gluten free diet and am welcome to stop by the clinic to pick up information about the new diet. Well, I am a nurse at a hospital and have plenty of access to patient education. I had to go to work that night and did not have time to go to the grocery store and had no gluten-free options at the house. At work, the only gluten-free options in the cafeteria that I could find was a salad. I am also a full-time student working on getting my Master's and had to come home after work to study and do school work. Still, no time to go to the store yet. I feel like I don't have the time or money for this complete life-style change. I feel silly for being so upset about not getting to have gluten anymore, but I never realized how many of my favorite things have gluten (Mini-Wheat's cereal, cookies, brownies, blueberry scones, and so on). I also have read from sources that you should be dairy-free, at least in the beginning of the gluten-free diet? No more milk or cheese?! I guess I just wanted to vent...

Any tips on quick, easy meals and breakfast foods? What are easy foods to take to work? And how do you handle going to eat at other people's houses?
Colonoscopy and EGD with biopsies: 4/9/2012
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease: 4/11/2012
Gluten-Free since 4/11/2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,867 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Gee Eff has put the links for some food threads here lke what's for dinner:

http://www.celiac.co...as-what-to-eat/

I'll probably lose my Celiac membership card for saying this but - I didn't stop eating dairy. I didn't drink milk but I still ate cheese & yogurt. I tried not to just eat large amounts of cheese but a slice on my sandwich or some on my chili was fine. You can try it for a few weeks with dairy & see how it goes.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

5 out of 4 people struggle with math.

math-problem-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 JustNana

JustNana

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Olivia,

Welcome. The people here understand how overwhelming it is when diagnosed with celiac (no s) disease. I'm just 8 weeks in. I'm still eating dairy. The only products I use that are special Gluten Free are Udis bread for toast in the morning, Crunchmasters crackers which are way better than Triscuits or Wheat Thins for dip and spreads and the rigatoni from Bionaturae that is great with my pasta sauce.

Go simple. Meat, poultry, fish, fruit, veggies, rice, potatoes, etc. And be patient with yourself. You are going to give yourself an online crash course and be an expert in a week!

What are your main symptoms?

The only other advice I have is get your thyroid tested. Celiac and Hashimoto's are connected. Have your vitamin levels checked. Malabsorption may have robbed you of Vitamin D, the B vitamins especially B12, folic acid, iron etc.

And keep coming here. This board has taught me more than every other source combined. The members are terrific. You will feel right at home! :-)

#4 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Kareng,

LOL same here. But after researching I conclude that dairy is fine for some Celiacs. Lactose intolerance is an uncomfortable nuisance for most people, not a real health issue if you are cautious and not super sensitive. Yes, I know, some folks really suffer as they are quite ill from even small amounts. Not minimizing anyone's pain.

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Welcome to the Forum!
Don't think about what you cannot eat--think about what you can eat :) . Fresh meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, eggs, fish, etc.

Karen was lucky she could eat cheese, but yes, many of us had to give it up for a while at first.

I can give you some ideas that I wrote up for my family if you wish.

Get your printer ready! ;)

Dietary concerns –LISTS OF safe and unsafe gluten free foods:

http://www.celiac.co...ents/Page1.html

http://www.celiac.co...ents/Page1.html

Good books:
Living Gluten free for Dummies--Danna Korn
Celiac Disease: the First Year by Jules Dowler Shepard
Cecelia's Marketplace Gluten-free GROCERY SHOPPING GUIDE
http://www.ceceliasm...ten-free-guide/
A quick “get-started” menu for gluten-free eating follows:

FLUIDS: Drink water. Celiacs are dehydrated from malabsorption. Plus, it helps cleanse toxins from body tissues and organs and keep the bowels running smoothly.
AVOID DAIRY for 3 months. Lactase, which is the enzyme that breaks down the sugar lactose, is produced in the tips of the villi. When the villi get blunted in celiac disease, sometimes the ability to digest lactose is decreased and you can become “lactose intolerant.” This may cause bloating, stomach cramps, diarrhea, etc. After you go gluten-free, the villi will heal and most people are able to tolerate dairy foods again.
Take digestive enzymes if you are having trouble digesting fats and proteins. A good one is Digest Gold.
PROBIOTICS are a must. A good one is the multi-strain probiotic from Custom Probiotics
http://www.customprobiotics.com/

or over-the-counter brand CULTURELLE. (found in any drug store or Wlmart's) Celiacs' leaky guts have an unbalanced amount of gut flora. Here is why you need them:

http://www.thefooddo...probiotic_facts

All the digestive issues like acid reflux (GERD) and heartburn, excess gas, camping, diarrhea and constipation should disappear or diminish on a gluten free diet.

Earth Balance soy-free is a good choice if you cannot have butter. You need some good essential fatty acids: Safflower oil, sunflower oil, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil.

A whole foods diet is best at first to speed healing of your gut lining, but many people do succesfully incorporate certified gluten-free products into their diets right away! Everyone is different.

Breakfast ideas:
Erewhon crispy brown rice cereal or gluten-free Kellogg's RICE KRISPIES, gluten-free CHEX corn or gluten-free CHEX Rice cereal, gluten-free CHEX honey-nut or gluten-free CHEX Cinnamon
Add: rice milk, almond milk or coconut milk (The So Delicious brand is excellent) and add berries or sliced banana.
CERTIFIED gluten -free oatmeal w/cinnamon (glutenfreeda brand, Bob's Red Mill are a few examples) NOTE: Quaker Oats are cross-contaminated!
gluten-free muffins made from a mix or purchased.
Eggs and bacon or sausage with gluten-free toast or bagel (Kinnikinnick, Udi's, Glutino or homemade bread)
Pocono Cream of buckwheat --it's good!! (no worries--Buckwheat is not from the wheat family)
Amaranth pancakes w/pure maple syrup (bottled syrups can contain gluten)
gluten-free packaged pancake/waffle mixes (Pamela's brand is very good as is Bob's Red Mill –we use BRM on the site, for short)
Van's frozen waffles.

FRUITS and VEGGIES—eat plenty of these daily in your diet.

Snack ideas that are safe and handy :)

Cozy Shack Rice Pudding cups (in the dairy section)
All natural applesauce cups
gluten-free cookies  or muffins (Bake them or buy them.)
Pamela's Baking Mix is versatile and good for cookies, baked goods. There are many options (check the recipe and baking section on the forum)
Bagel with cream cheese and jam . Udi's and Glutino bagels are pretty good (frozen section)
Pamela's and King Arthur gluten-free--makes a very good brownie mix too!
Chobani Yogurt
Scharr cookies are VERY tasty!
Lundberg rice cakes or sliced apples and celery sticks with natural peanut butter or hummus smeared on
Mary's Gone Crackers, Crunchmaster's or Glutino crackers with cheese or peanut butter
BOAR's Head or Applegate Farms deli--ham, turkey, pepperoni, salami, all their cold cuts and cheeses
Peanuts, almonds, cashews. (I like Blue Diamond or
Nutsonline.com has a HUGE gluten-free selection of nuts and flours.)
SUNMAID raisins, prunes. Craisins by Ocean Spray. (some raisins and dried fruits are dusted with flour to keep them from sticking but these brands are safe.)
Smoothies- made with coconut milk, fruit, yogurt, etc
Potato chips----like Cape Cod, Kettle Brand, Utz
Indiana Popcorn--comes in all flavors--the  kettle corn is delicious
Glutino brand pretzels—they come in all flavors even chocolate -coated
Coconut milk, creamer and ice cream (Turtle Mountain So Decadent brand is very good)
Ice Cream, if dairy is not a problem for you, most Haagen Das flavors are good, for exmaple. READ LABELS!!!
Organic Corn chips w/salsa, hummus, or Guacamole
Sunflower , pumpkin or flaxseeds
Candy—Hershey's kisses or bars, regular size Reese's cups, Snickers, York peppermint patty, Butterfinger and M &Ms plain and peanut. Ghirardelli squares.
Enjoy Life chocolate chips, chunks and Boom Choc Boom bars
Make some Chex mix with gluten-free chex cereals
gluten-free Rice Krispies treats (recipes are online)

CHEBE pizza and breadstick mixes—are very good!!

Against the Grain and Glutino make some good frozen pizzas!!

Check the labels of all packaged products-- if they were made with wheat or malt gluten, they will state so on the package.

LUNCH and DINNER:
Leftovers from last night's dinner make an easy lunch
Some Progresso soups are gluten-free. Check the label!
Some Pacific and Imagine brand soups. Read the label!
A sandwich with gluten free bread or rolls—UDIs, Scharr's and Canyon Bakehouse are decent packaged breads, rolls and bagels, but homemade is the way to go.
I have a simple recipe for white sandwich bread that is delicious if you want it.
A big salad with tons of veggies and grilled chicken or shrimp and Hard-boiled eggs/ with gluten-free or homemade vinegrette dressing. A list of gluten free salad dressings is available online. Marzettis, and most of WishBone and Ken's are okay. Homemade is best!
Homemade vegetable minestrone ,chicken soup, stews, black bean or white bean chili (gluten-free stock)
chicken or bean nachos (can use corn tortillas)
red beans and rice
almost all mexican food is safe (just no flour tortillas!)
pasta and sauce w/meatballs (brown rice or corn pasta
TINKYADA BRAND rice pasta is delicious! Cook 13 minutes exactly) and use gluten-free breadcrumbs (just crumble some gluten-free bread and season)
Another good pasta is CORN pasta. BiAglut or Sam's Hill are a couple. Cook as directed.
meatloaf (beef or ground turkey) baked potato or yams, green veggie of some kind
Other proteins: roasted or grilled chicken, turkey, pork, beef, salmon, talapia, scallops, lamb, some sausages are safe, bacon (Check labels)
Vegetarian chili--homemade.
I eat a variety of veggies.....whatever looks fresh at the super market or farmer's market or stands...steamed, grilled--- or roasted root veggies in stock.
Sweet potatoes—baked at 350 degrees in a pan for 45-50 mins.--are yummy
Potatoes—roasted, grilled, whipped with milk
Fritattas with veggies and salad
Stuffed peppers—with ground turkey, beef or lamb and rice

ANY recipe can be altered--just use gluten-free breadcrumbs, or rice pasta ---use any flour made from amaranth, corn, bean, etc...just NO WHEAT, RYE OR BARLEY or cross -contaminated OATS. Quaker oats are Cced!!. Bob's Red Mill are not.

Cross-contamination is the bane of our existence. Learn how to make your home safe.

http://celiacdisease...scontaminat.htm

Hidden sources of gluten:
http://www.practical...wiakArticle.pdf

Packaged/processed Foods:

A package stating a product is “Gluten-free “ does not always guarantee it was processed and manufactured and packaged in a dedicated facility. You want the GIG (Gluten Intolerance Group) circle stamped on the package –it is a big gluten-free in a circle.

Some DEDICATED gluten-free facilities are:
Glutino
Bob's Red Mill
1-2-3 Meredith's Marvelous
Authentic Foods
Pamela's
Cause You're Special
Udi's
The Cravings Place
Andean Dream
Kinnikinnick
Organic Nectars
Orgran
Foods by George
gluten-free FULL FLAVOR Gravy
Prana Bar
Enjoy Life
EnergG
Gillian's
Against the Grain

They make all kinds of ready made mixes and flours to make it easy to start baking.

The cooking and baking section on the forum has thousands of great ideas—these guys are amazingly creative!

That should get you started anyway! :)

Best wishes! IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

I only had to lay off dairy for a couple weeks before I could tolerate it. Having said that; I have dh & then had to go off dairy b/c of the iodine content only. I'm back on iodine & do fine with dairy. Not so with soy. I have a feeling soy will be a no-no for me for life. Olivia, you may want to keep track of how soy affects you as many celiacs cannot tolerate soy.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

Kareng,

LOL same here. But after researching I conclude that dairy is fine for some Celiacs. Lactose intolerance is an uncomfortable nuisance for most people, not a real health issue if you are cautious and not super sensitive. Yes, I know, some folks really suffer as they are quite ill from even small amounts. Not minimizing anyone's pain.

Yes, it is true that dairy is fine for most celiacs when the villi regrow. but some can never tolerate it again. :( I hope I am not one of them. I continue to try dairy products and find they give me a little grief in large amounts.

Most celiacs come to the realization that it is best to give up dairy --just for the first few months-- because lactase is produced in the tips of the villi and if there is insufficient lactase, it is a real problem. The continuing digestive problems, diarrhea and bloating is more than a nuisance--it causes major pain, dehydration, loss of work, etc.-- and causes someone to think the gluten-free diet is "not working".

That is the number one concern on here from newbies, I think...why isn't this working? And all the veterans chime in "dump the dairy!" :lol:

(It has nothing to do with being super sensitive, it has to do with the lactase insufficiency.)

Lucky for you that you can tolerate it so soon after DX!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#8 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Irish

*on my knees, much bowing and scraping*

I'm not worthy...

What an amazing, brilliant, generous post! You are a scholar and a gentleman, Sir.
I'll bet you just made Olivia's day. Pssst-Olivia (and saved your untold hours of on your own info gathering)

I am thrilled with the info regarding buckwheat cereal. I am ordering some today. And I would NEVER have though about Kozy Shack Rice PUDDING....WHOOPEE.

Thank you so much. (Ever seen an old lady do a happy dance?)

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

I have a feeling soy will be a no-no for me for life.

Maybe not! Many secondary food intolerances clear up after being gluten-free for a while and healing the gut.

Never say never! (although soy is not the world's greatest food, but it is IN everything and makes it hard for those of us who have had to avoid it)

For instance, I eat mayo now and have no problem and I have had soy lecithin in vitamins without issue. I am in no hurry to eat tofu (blech) :lol:

I had an off- the -chart (severe)intolerance (IgG) to soybean in 2010. Now, it looks like maybe we can be friends. :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Irish

I didn't realize that the dairy issue could be so important for a newbie. I sure don't want to steer someone wrong. I know I am lucky.

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

What an amazing, brilliant, generous post! You are a scholar and a gentleman, Sir.

Thank you so much. (Ever seen an old lady do a happy dance?)

Everytime I look at myself dancing in the mirror. :D

You're a newbie aren't ya? ;) :lol: You do not know me yet...but

I am a chick, sweetie. A warrior princess.

I have posted this puppy a few times. I am thinking about putting a copyright on it. (kidding!) :lol:

Glad it helps!! Eat up, people!!

Cheers, IH

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Irish

I didn't realize that the dairy issue could be so important for a newbie. I sure don't want to steer someone wrong. I know I am lucky.

You didn't, hon!

There is no "one size fits all" with this thing. EVERYBODY is different.

If anyone can have dairy without issue, that's FANTASTIC!!

Pass the ice cream, Nana! :D

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Irish Warrior Princess

ROTFLMWBO. (wrinked)

Yes, I'm a newbie. I have a good feel for you as a person from reading lots of your posts. It's odd actually that I got the mistaken impression you were a dude! Shoulda known a wise woman voice when I heard it. It's always laced with wit and a wink. :-)

#14 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Maybe not! Many secondary food intolerances clear up after being gluten-free for a while and healing the gut.

Never say never! (although soy is not the world's greatest food, but it is IN everything and makes it hard for those of us who have had to avoid it)

For instance, I eat mayo now and have no problem and I have had soy lecithin in vitamins without issue. I am in no hurry to eat tofu (blech) :lol:

I had an off- the -chart (severe)intolerance (IgG) to soybean in 2010. Now, it looks like maybe we can be friends. :lol:

Great to know IH! Thanks! Yes, I'm not a fan of soy anyway BUT it IS in everything. I do tolerate the little bit in my gluten-free mayo but am careful to be stingy when spreading it on. I'm a big mayo fan & it's been hard to control my desire to liberally douse the bread with mayo. Such a fan of mayo that I can (could) eat it with a spoon like other people eat peanut butter!

And I'm with nana bowing & scraping for the "list". Many of those things I have discovered but there are quite a few gems in that list I had not discovered yet. Thank YOU! I have saved it to my computer titled, "gluten-free - Everything you ever wanted to know".Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#15 nmull #newly diagnosed

nmull #newly diagnosed

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

I Just want to say Coming from a Newbie- This is the most informative thread I have read on here.
Irish Heart - Thank you so much for taking the time to type all of your information up!! it is so helpful And I wish I would've had your info a few months ago when I started on this journey :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: