#1 moose07

moose07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Hey Everyone,

So I read this blog today that basically says a protien in coffee can cause the same harmful effects as gluten can. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard this or knows anymore. I'm a little upset about it. :/
Here is the blog http://www.thehealth...t-drink-coffee/

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,686 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

We just had this discussion yesterday. It's rediculous. A brewed beverage has no or barely any protein, first. This is just some Internet doctors theory.

http://www.celiac.co...048#entry787048

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#3 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Hey Everyone,

So I read this blog today that basically says a protien in coffee can cause the same harmful effects as gluten can. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard this or knows anymore. I'm a little upset about it. :/
Here is the blog http://www.thehealth...t-drink-coffee/

I wouldn't stop that morning cup of coffee just yet. :)

And you know how people say to us "I would DIE if I couldn't eat bread!" and we reply (to ourselves) "no you wouldn't." Well... seriously...I would DIE without my morning coffee. :P

(Go ahead, think to yourself "no you wouldn't." But I'm telling you that yes I would!) :lol:

#4 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

Moose

Say what?

Monklady, I have written my will, gathered my kin and sharpened my hari-kari knife.

This will NOT stand.

Plus I ain't buyin' it. The whole gluten free community is so big now that we are a marketing force! (That's a good thing). If coffee had been discovered to be dangerous to celiacs it would make the 6:00 AND 11:00 news.

Let not your heart be troubled.

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

If coffee had gluten I would have been dead years ago. :ph34r:

Even if it isn't "gluten," I consume enough of it that if it was problematic, I would certainly know by now. Enjoy your coffee!
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

I wouldn't stop that morning cup of coffee just yet. :)

And you know how people say to us "I would DIE if I couldn't eat bread!" and we reply (to ourselves) "no you wouldn't." Well... seriously...I would DIE without my morning coffee. :P

(Go ahead, think to yourself "no you wouldn't." But I'm telling you that yes I would!) :lol:

I'm with you! I can live without bread..but they better not try to take my morning coffee away. :angry: :ph34r:

#7 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Hey Bubba's mom

How's it goin?

#8 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hey Bubba's mom

How's it goin?

Goin' good as long as they don't try prying my coffee cup out of my hand! LOL :D

#9 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

I read that goofy blog.

Sorry, but when they start saying they know what causes MS...blah blah blah - my BSometer sounds an alarm.

Are these sincere but gullible people or just trolls?

Ugh

#10 OliviaB

OliviaB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

I just found out I had Celiac Disease yesterday and can't have gluten. Then today I see the headline Celiacs Means No Coffee? Can you say heart attack?! Don't scare a newbie like that :P! I am so glad most disagree with that blog or I would be having a major melt-down right now!
Colonoscopy and EGD with biopsies: 4/9/2012
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease: 4/11/2012
Gluten-Free since 4/11/2012

#11 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

I just found out I had Celiac Disease yesterday and can't have gluten. Then today I see the headline Celiacs Means No Coffee? Can you say heart attack?! Don't scare a newbie like that :P! I am so glad most disagree with that blog or I would be having a major melt-down right now!

I suggest not taking gluten-free advice from the general public (this board is not the general public).

My FIL thought I potatoes had gluten in them, and cookies didn't....and some people think all cheese has gluten in it...

So, my point is, get used to heart attacks. And get used to hearing some incredibly stupid, uninformed stuff.

And get used to laughing at people who "would die if they couldn't eat bread". I mean seriously, it's funny. I tried the polite smile a few times, but now I just give in and laugh. Obviously, they don't get it. But you will, soon. And if you don't, yet, deliver a nice frozen loaf of gluten-free bread to one of those idiots and watch their face. And then ask them if they could give it up or die.

But I digress...
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#12 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

The first thing I do in a case like this (outlandish claim) is see what they're selling. It doesn't take long. Sarah the healthy home economist is selling product links and advertising.

"Please contact Sarah at thehealthyhomeeconomist.com for a Media Kit.

Please Note: The Healthy Home Economist is part of the Real Food Media online magazine. We have paid sponsors. Unfortunately, this precludes us from doing unpaid promotions or reviews for free product."

Ie, she doesn't talk about anything she's not getting paid for.

The exciting and important news about a so-called coffee/gluten connection was revealed to her at a paleofx12 conference ( an alternative health and nutrition "disipline" based on evolutionary study (or somesuch) where she saw dr. david clark speak. He's not really a doctor, he's a chiropractor. Thus the titles of functional this and functional that in his bio. He's also selling stuff. Books and whatnot.

There's always people out there trying to make a living duping the gullible.

Try not to be the gullible!

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#13 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

Olivia,

I swear the people on this site have heard and seen it all...ignorant public, thoughtless friends and family, even dumbazz doctors. They are skeptical but open minded. You are Sooooo lucky you found this forum. It is THE best forum I have ever read, bar none.

#14 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

I'm gonna give the previous posts some serious reinforcements. I've never gotten any information off this forum that was harmful. Without the experience of the people here I would have still been lost and itching my skin into oblivion.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#15 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

I had a friend who is on the paleo diet send me a link to this article. She seemed kind of offended that I didn't trust it. Honestly the terms "functional neurologist and functional endocrinologist" immediately raised a red flag.

I used to think I had some sort of reaction to coffee, not at all similar to my gluten reaction though. I would get tingly lips, tongue, and gums! I was drinking coffee with almond milk daily at this time. I ditched the almond milk and have had no issues. I drink coffee with milk or soy frequently!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: