Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac Means No Coffee?

80 posts in this topic

Before we all get carried away with this again, :lol: let's reiterate plain coffee does not contain gluten.

Can it be contaminated during the preparation process? sure, why not--- depends on who made the coffee.

If you are having pains, could it be you just cannot tolerate coffee??

I do not doubt you have pain, hon--not at all! :)

Ads by Google:

Hook me up with an IV...LOL! :lol:

But seriously...The fact that my INSTANT NESCAFE FOLGERS CHOICE felt it nessasery to put gluten free on the lable for my INSTANT coffee, made me wonder if maybe OTHER instant coffees might have glutten as a binder/emulfifier to hold those lovely little crystals together!

Some products do carry "Gluten Free" labels without necessity.

I see it on cheeses, popcorn, meats, etc. --that sort of thing.

I do not know why they put it there, since those foods are inherently gluten-free , except perhaps to appeal to the gluten free consumers.

Remember my post about new celiac pain a couple of days ago, even though I'm entirely glutenfree? With me it IS the coffee. I can not have coffee or I'm getting my old celiac pains.

Nice to see you back Stef!!

I used to get headaches from gluten, always in exactly the same spot. For a long time after I was gluten-free, whenever I'd get a a headache, it was always in that same place. I just figured I did some damage right there, and was more susceptible to inflammation (from anything). Finally, in the last year or so, I'm getting headaches in different areas of my head. Maybe I'm healing the last scraps of damage? :)

If you'd pay closer attention to the article, you'd find that Dr. whatshisface neurologist is only name-dropped. It's clear that he is not the person responsible for the research that Moose is concerned about. Of course, neither is there a link to that research or even the person who conducted it which is a shame. But that doesn't prove it's a sham either. Neither does the fact that the site gets paid to exist mean everything it posts is false. It's not like they're advertising some coffee substitute in lieu of coffee.

I have no idea why I would trust the evening news to say that coffee is bad for you before you'd believe that coffee interacts with our immune system...I've never seen anything on the news about celiac disease itself, much less potential spin-off reactions to gluten from other food sources from tests done in petri dishes.

Comments about coffee not having enough protein to affect you is EXACTLY the same logic that people who think we're all being anal when you eat a bread crumb. How much wheat protein can a tsp of soy sauce have in it?

It makes a lot of sense to me actually. I react to a cup a coffee far stronger than I do to even 3 cups of tea. It makes even more sense with the findings that gluten, through expressing zonluin more, creates larger gaps between the cells lining the intestine. If coffee were to cause a similar reaction, it stands to reason that more caffeine would get into the bloodstream than if you just took the same amount of straight caffeine. And there's people here who have made posts about coffee specifically before, saying they had to quit it.

There's info online that says instant coffee has flour in it. Maybe it was wrong. Maybe a brand of instant coffee did/does that.

Regardless though, there's clearly some sort of processing done to instant coffee, and that puts up alarm bells to anyone trying to be gluten free. If I owned a company, I'd label all my products as gluten free if they were.

If you'd pay closer attention to the article, you'd find that Dr. whatshisface neurologist is only name-dropped. It's clear that he is not the person responsible for the research that Moose is concerned about. Of course, neither is there a link to that research or even the person who conducted it which is a shame. But that doesn't prove it's a sham either. Neither does the fact that the site gets paid to exist mean everything it posts is false. It's not like they're advertising some coffee substitute in lieu of coffee.

I have no idea why I would trust the evening news to say that coffee is bad for you before you'd believe that coffee interacts with our immune system...I've never seen anything on the news about celiac disease itself, much less potential spin-off reactions to gluten from other food sources from tests done in petri dishes.

Comments about coffee not having enough protein to affect you is EXACTLY the same logic that people who think we're all being anal when you eat a bread crumb. How much wheat protein can a tsp of soy sauce have in it?

It makes a lot of sense to me actually. I react to a cup a coffee far stronger than I do to even 3 cups of tea. It makes even more sense with the findings that gluten, through expressing zonluin more, creates larger gaps between the cells lining the intestine. If coffee were to cause a similar reaction, it stands to reason that more caffeine would get into the bloodstream than if you just took the same amount of straight caffeine. And there's people here who have made posts about coffee specifically before, saying they had to quit it.

Oh well... since I have 2-3 cups of brewed coffee a day and never, ever have gluten symptoms from it I'm going with the thought that there's no gluten in my coffee. ;)

Oh well... since I have 2-3 cups of brewed coffee a day and never, ever have gluten symptoms from it I'm going with the thought that there's no gluten in my coffee. ;)

Me, too. If there were gluten in coffee, or if we all "cross-react" to coffee, I'd be dead by now.

PEOPLE!!

Now we have 2 simultaneous equally-misleading threads going declaring "coffee is bad for celiacs" :rolleyes:

....it will die a nice, peaceful death if people would stop bringing it back to life with the paddles!! :D

That would be because there is no research whatsoever. I looked up the so-cailed references and they document occasional allergies to green coffee beans among coffee workers. <_< It gives me even less respect for Dr. whatshisface because it's considered poor practice to pad bibliographies. Most people get over that in high school.

Coffee is considered fairly non-allergenic in the peer-reviewed literature. It's a bit irritant if you have gastritis or are trying to heal ulcers but that's about the only issue. Can we please lay this stupid idea of coffee and gluten cross-reactivity to rest? Please?

Can we please lay this stupid idea of coffee and gluten cross-reactivity to rest? Please?

Amen to that, sister!!!!!!!!! :)

Nobody was listening here. I didn't say there was gluten in the coffee, nor did I say gluten caused the pain. THE COFFEE (which was entirely glutenfree) caused the same pain that originally only gluten used to cause in my body. Any coffee for that matter. And no, it's not caffeine, I drink coke and Pepsi and have no problems.

Nobody was listening here. I didn't say there was gluten in the coffee, nor did I say gluten caused the pain. THE COFFEE (which was entirely glutenfree) caused the same pain that originally only gluten used to cause in my body. Any coffee for that matter. And no, it's not caffeine, I drink coke and Pepsi and have no problems.

I am sorry coffee makes you sick. Nobody is questioning your coffee intolerance or trying to tell you to drink it!

We are trying to make sure that people don't get paranoid because a crazy blogger posted a putative cross-reaction between gluten and coffee. Rumors on gluten spread like wildfire and then people start avoiding crazy stuff like teabags.

I nearly fell off my chair when I seen the title of this thread, but I'm good now, having read the replies :)

I'm not a coffee person myself, but it's a nice treat, however the reason I think coffee would have gluten is because it could probably in the glue that holds the instant packets together, or the K-Cup kind, but I doubt it :lol:

I'm not a coffee person myself, but it's a nice treat, however the reason I think coffee would have gluten is because it could probably in the glue that holds the instant packets together, or the K-Cup kind, but I doubt it :lol:

NOPE!!!!!!!!!! (groan) really?? <_< not funny.

Asolutely not, Keurig brand K cups ARE gluten-free!!

At first, when I read what you wrote, it sure sounded as if you meant that. Then, I reread it again and decided otherwise.

But it may be confusing, I think because you used the phrase "my old celiac pain" is back and "it IS the coffee".... & that may have been confusing to some readers??

Why would that imply that there is gluten in it? If that's the case, I would have written it like that.

And thanks jestgar for welcoming me back. I guess, most people don't know, that I'm an old bird on here. Therefore, I'm also already healed and have no inflammation anymore either, like somebody mentioned, might be the case.

Why would that imply that there is gluten in it? If that's the case, I would have written it like that.

Hi Steph! Hope you are still kicking butts! :D

You did put it on a thread about a blogger who says that coffee acts like gluten or some such nonsense. That might have made it look like you were maybe agreeing with the nonsense. I think we have established that it disagrees with you but has nothing to do with gluten, or fooling the intestines to think it's. gluten or a space alien take -over of earth.

I find the acid in coffee can be hard on my stomach. If I add a bit of milk, it seems to cut that.

Now someone will be upset I called it nonsense & brought space aliens into it. :o

I don't know, hon--just guessing about what others may have read into your words...as I said, I did get what you meant!! :) Yes, I know you're a veteran. I saw some of your posts and these guys all know you well! :) Cheers, IH

Now someone will be upset I called it nonsense & brought space aliens into it. :o

DOH! K, now you KNOW the space alien community will be all over this like a cheap suit. For pete's sake....this thread will just not die!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DOH! K, now you KNOW the space alien community will be all over this like a cheap suit. For pete's sake....this thread will just not die!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know space aliens don't have Celiac because they make crop circles in wheat fields.

You know space aliens don't have Celiac because they make crop circles in wheat fields.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For pete's sake....
Hey, leave me out of this. :ph34r:

Hey, leave me out of this. :ph34r:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I usually say "for the love of mike",

but he said the same thing....

*so tempted to start another thread labelled "So there is gluten in coffee" but my desire to live outweighs my desire to be mischievous.

I'm gonna give the previous posts some serious reinforcements. I've never gotten any information off this forum that was harmful. Without the experience of the people here I would have still been lost and itching my skin into oblivion.

How did you get rid of the itch?