#16 JustNana

JustNana

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Hey Moose! YooooHooooo....

Where IS that oh so concerned poster? Drop in. Write a goofy inflammatory post. Run.

Harumph!

dani nero

I have DH too. I've already seen some improvement. I would love to hear your story. Maybe over a nice gluten-free snack and a BIG CUP of COFFEE. :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 moose07

moose07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hey Moose! YooooHooooo....

Where IS that oh so concerned poster? Drop in. Write a goofy inflammatory post. Run.

Harumph!

dani nero

I have DH too. I've already seen some improvement. I would love to hear your story. Maybe over a nice gluten-free snack and a BIG CUP of COFFEE. :-)

Sorry that I don't spend my entire life on this board. Did you actually read what I wrote? I was asking if anyone else had heard of this notion. I never said I believed it.

#18 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

No need to apologize.

:-)

#19 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:09 AM

No need to apologize.

:-)

At least not on the OP's end.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

We just had this discussion yesterday. It's rediculous. A brewed beverage has no or barely any protein, first. This is just some Internet doctors theory.

http://www.celiac.co...048#entry787048

Hi Moose,

Please re-read the other thread and see what we all think of this "theory". :rolleyes:

Honestly, none of us see any reason why you should worry about coffee. Okee dokee?!

Best wishes,
IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#21 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

Moose

I have sent you a private message, but want to publically apologize to you for my rude behavior. I completely misread the intent behind your thread. I was disrespectful and totally out of line. I have fought a tendency to be mouthy and judgmental for years and as you see I am not always successful.

This was the worst place to exhibit that ugly trait and I am truly sorry.

#22 moose07

moose07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

JustNana,

Thanks for the apology.

Everyone else, thanks for the adivce. I'm glad other people on here are good at researching all this stuff.

#23 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

Remember my post about new celiac pain a couple of days ago, even though I'm entirely glutenfree? With me it IS the coffee. I can not have coffee or I'm getting my old celiac pains.
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#24 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Remember my post about new celiac pain a couple of days ago, even though I'm entirely glutenfree? With me it IS the coffee. I can not have coffee or I'm getting my old celiac pains.

Well, I'm not a doctor, but I would say that probably you're getting the pains from the coffee itself -- i.e., the caffeine, or the acid, or whatever else is in coffee. Not from gluten, which is not in coffee. Lots of people who have "stomach trouble" (as the doctors like to call any number of things) cannot drink coffee.

My entirely unmedical opinion is that all sorts of things bother us while we're healing, and that it can take a long time. I was doing okay with milk, then got glutened (through my own stupidity), and then couldn't have cereal with milk for the next week or so.

Anyway, just my thoughts. :)

#25 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hook me up with an IV...LOL! :lol:
But seriously...The fact that my INSTANT NESCAFE FOLGERS CHOICE felt it nessasery to put gluten free on the lable for my INSTANT coffee, made me wonder if maybe OTHER instant coffees might have glutten as a binder/emulfifier to hold those lovely little crystals together! Hell even shampoo isn't safe...I tryied NEXUS and had a HORRIBLE reaction...my son looked at the lable, and said...you know mom...this has wheat in it! GASP! :ph34r:
Just goes to show...READ THOSE LABLES!
( and contrary to befief...you don't HAVE to ingest the shampoo to react to it...I'm living proof!I got sick to my stomache,naushous,dizzy and my hair went limp and oily...not to mention my whole body was ITCHY!!!)But thats another thread! :ph34r: :D
They BETTER NOT MESS WITH MY COFFEE!!! :D B)
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Before we all get carried away with this again, :lol: let's reiterate plain coffee does not contain gluten.

Can it be contaminated during the preparation process? sure, why not--- depends on who made the coffee.

If you are having pains, could it be you just cannot tolerate coffee??
I do not doubt you have pain, hon--not at all! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#27 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hook me up with an IV...LOL! :lol:
But seriously...The fact that my INSTANT NESCAFE FOLGERS CHOICE felt it nessasery to put gluten free on the lable for my INSTANT coffee, made me wonder if maybe OTHER instant coffees might have glutten as a binder/emulfifier to hold those lovely little crystals together!

Some products do carry "Gluten Free" labels without necessity.

I see it on cheeses, popcorn, meats, etc. --that sort of thing.

I do not know why they put it there, since those foods are inherently gluten-free , except perhaps to appeal to the gluten free consumers.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#28 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Nice to see you back Stef!!

I used to get headaches from gluten, always in exactly the same spot. For a long time after I was gluten-free, whenever I'd get a a headache, it was always in that same place. I just figured I did some damage right there, and was more susceptible to inflammation (from anything). Finally, in the last year or so, I'm getting headaches in different areas of my head. Maybe I'm healing the last scraps of damage? :)
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#29 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

If you'd pay closer attention to the article, you'd find that Dr. whatshisface neurologist is only name-dropped. It's clear that he is not the person responsible for the research that Moose is concerned about. Of course, neither is there a link to that research or even the person who conducted it which is a shame. But that doesn't prove it's a sham either. Neither does the fact that the site gets paid to exist mean everything it posts is false. It's not like they're advertising some coffee substitute in lieu of coffee.

I have no idea why I would trust the evening news to say that coffee is bad for you before you'd believe that coffee interacts with our immune system...I've never seen anything on the news about celiac disease itself, much less potential spin-off reactions to gluten from other food sources from tests done in petri dishes.

Comments about coffee not having enough protein to affect you is EXACTLY the same logic that people who think we're all being anal when you eat a bread crumb. How much wheat protein can a tsp of soy sauce have in it?

It makes a lot of sense to me actually. I react to a cup a coffee far stronger than I do to even 3 cups of tea. It makes even more sense with the findings that gluten, through expressing zonluin more, creates larger gaps between the cells lining the intestine. If coffee were to cause a similar reaction, it stands to reason that more caffeine would get into the bloodstream than if you just took the same amount of straight caffeine. And there's people here who have made posts about coffee specifically before, saying they had to quit it.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#30 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

There's info online that says instant coffee has flour in it. Maybe it was wrong. Maybe a brand of instant coffee did/does that.
Regardless though, there's clearly some sort of processing done to instant coffee, and that puts up alarm bells to anyone trying to be gluten free. If I owned a company, I'd label all my products as gluten free if they were.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: