79 replies to this topic

#31 Monklady123

Monklady123

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

If you'd pay closer attention to the article, you'd find that Dr. whatshisface neurologist is only name-dropped. It's clear that he is not the person responsible for the research that Moose is concerned about. Of course, neither is there a link to that research or even the person who conducted it which is a shame. But that doesn't prove it's a sham either. Neither does the fact that the site gets paid to exist mean everything it posts is false. It's not like they're advertising some coffee substitute in lieu of coffee.

I have no idea why I would trust the evening news to say that coffee is bad for you before you'd believe that coffee interacts with our immune system...I've never seen anything on the news about celiac disease itself, much less potential spin-off reactions to gluten from other food sources from tests done in petri dishes.

Comments about coffee not having enough protein to affect you is EXACTLY the same logic that people who think we're all being anal when you eat a bread crumb. How much wheat protein can a tsp of soy sauce have in it?

It makes a lot of sense to me actually. I react to a cup a coffee far stronger than I do to even 3 cups of tea. It makes even more sense with the findings that gluten, through expressing zonluin more, creates larger gaps between the cells lining the intestine. If coffee were to cause a similar reaction, it stands to reason that more caffeine would get into the bloodstream than if you just took the same amount of straight caffeine. And there's people here who have made posts about coffee specifically before, saying they had to quit it.

Oh well... since I have 2-3 cups of brewed coffee a day and never, ever have gluten symptoms from it I'm going with the thought that there's no gluten in my coffee. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

Oh well... since I have 2-3 cups of brewed coffee a day and never, ever have gluten symptoms from it I'm going with the thought that there's no gluten in my coffee. ;)

Me, too. If there were gluten in coffee, or if we all "cross-react" to coffee, I'd be dead by now.

PEOPLE!!

Now we have 2 simultaneous equally-misleading threads going declaring "coffee is bad for celiacs" :rolleyes:

....it will die a nice, peaceful death if people would stop bringing it back to life with the paddles!! :D

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#33 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

If you'd pay closer attention to the article, you'd find that Dr. whatshisface neurologist is only name-dropped. It's clear that he is not the person responsible for the research that Moose is concerned about. Of course, neither is there a link to that research or even the person who conducted it which is a shame. But that doesn't prove it's a sham either. Neither does the fact that the site gets paid to exist mean everything it posts is false. It's not like they're advertising some coffee substitute in lieu of coffee.

That would be because there is no research whatsoever. I looked up the so-cailed references and they document occasional allergies to green coffee beans among coffee workers. <_< It gives me even less respect for Dr. whatshisface because it's considered poor practice to pad bibliographies. Most people get over that in high school.

Coffee is considered fairly non-allergenic in the peer-reviewed literature. It's a bit irritant if you have gastritis or are trying to heal ulcers but that's about the only issue. Can we please lay this stupid idea of coffee and gluten cross-reactivity to rest? Please?

#34 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

Can we please lay this stupid idea of coffee and gluten cross-reactivity to rest? Please?

Amen to that, sister!!!!!!!!! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#35 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Nobody was listening here. I didn't say there was gluten in the coffee, nor did I say gluten caused the pain. THE COFFEE (which was entirely glutenfree) caused the same pain that originally only gluten used to cause in my body. Any coffee for that matter. And no, it's not caffeine, I drink coke and Pepsi and have no problems.
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#36 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Nobody was listening here. I didn't say there was gluten in the coffee, nor did I say gluten caused the pain. THE COFFEE (which was entirely glutenfree) caused the same pain that originally only gluten used to cause in my body. Any coffee for that matter. And no, it's not caffeine, I drink coke and Pepsi and have no problems.

I am sorry coffee makes you sick. Nobody is questioning your coffee intolerance or trying to tell you to drink it!

We are trying to make sure that people don't get paranoid because a crazy blogger posted a putative cross-reaction between gluten and coffee. Rumors on gluten spread like wildfire and then people start avoiding crazy stuff like teabags.

#37 Mateto

Mateto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

I nearly fell off my chair when I seen the title of this thread, but I'm good now, having read the replies :)

I'm not a coffee person myself, but it's a nice treat, however the reason I think coffee would have gluten is because it could probably in the glue that holds the instant packets together, or the K-Cup kind, but I doubt it :lol:
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

#38 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

I'm not a coffee person myself, but it's a nice treat, however the reason I think coffee would have gluten is because it could probably in the glue that holds the instant packets together, or the K-Cup kind, but I doubt it :lol:

NOPE!!!!!!!!!! (groan) really?? <_< not funny.

Asolutely not, Keurig brand K cups ARE gluten-free!!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#39 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

At first, when I read what you wrote, it sure sounded as if you meant that. Then, I reread it again and decided otherwise.

But it may be confusing, I think because you used the phrase "my old celiac pain" is back and "it IS the coffee".... & that may have been confusing to some readers??

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#40 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Why would that imply that there is gluten in it? If that's the case, I would have written it like that.
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
Shermans Dale, PA

#41 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

And thanks jestgar for welcoming me back. I guess, most people don't know, that I'm an old bird on here. Therefore, I'm also already healed and have no inflammation anymore either, like somebody mentioned, might be the case.
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
Shermans Dale, PA

#42 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Why would that imply that there is gluten in it? If that's the case, I would have written it like that.

Hi Steph! Hope you are still kicking butts! :D

You did put it on a thread about a blogger who says that coffee acts like gluten or some such nonsense. That might have made it look like you were maybe agreeing with the nonsense. I think we have established that it disagrees with you but has nothing to do with gluten, or fooling the intestines to think it's. gluten or a space alien take -over of earth.

I find the acid in coffee can be hard on my stomach. If I add a bit of milk, it seems to cut that.

Now someone will be upset I called it nonsense & brought space aliens into it. :o

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#43 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

I don't know, hon--just guessing about what others may have read into your words...as I said, I did get what you meant!! :) Yes, I know you're a veteran. I saw some of your posts and these guys all know you well! :) Cheers, IH

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#44 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Now someone will be upset I called it nonsense & brought space aliens into it. :o

DOH! K, now you KNOW the space alien community will be all over this like a cheap suit. For pete's sake....this thread will just not die!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#45 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

DOH! K, now you KNOW the space alien community will be all over this like a cheap suit. For pete's sake....this thread will just not die!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know space aliens don't have Celiac because they make crop circles in wheat fields.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: