This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh & Probiotics - Sals Or Iodine

squirmingitch

squirmingitch Veteran

I was taking Culturelle but ran into a problem with sals & Culturelle has chickory root extract therefore high sals. I got some Solgar Advanced Multi-Billion Dophilus & find it has Sodium Alginate --- high iodine. I was doing better digestive wise when taking the probiotics. And I can eat yogurt but can't find any gluten-free plain --- they all have high sal fruits in them so that would be sals + iodine. Sigh.

Any suggestions?

Since both iodine & sals are cumulative; should I take Culturelle one day & then the Solgar the next & alternate days taking one 1 day & the other the next day & so forth?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squirmingitch Veteran

Hello?

Skylark Collaborator

Don't take either if they are giving you trouble. There is an additive-free medical probiotic called VSL#3. It's pricey so I'm making my bottle last by taking it every few days and it seems OK.

Why you are having finding gluten-free plain yogurt? All the Yoplait containers I've picked up are marked gluten-free, and there are a bunch of Greek yogurts on the market with only milk and active cultures as ingredients. Fage is wonderful. If all else fails, make your own. :)

squirmingitch Veteran

Thanks very much Skylark. I haven't been able to find any plain Yoplait. Only the fruity ones & I'm watching sals right now.

Yes, if all else fails I will have to make my own. Thanks also for the VSL#3 info.

IrishHeart Veteran

Honestly, the tiny amount of chicory root extract may be so negligible that it does not matter, but I know you are trying to avoid as much as you can, so I understand why you wish to avoid that brand for now.

Custom Probiotics --also pricey--but very effective and worth it.

The owner will speak with you on the phone and tell you what's in them. :)

Plain Chobani yogurt is pretty good.

squirmingitch Veteran

Good information IH. Thank you.

I don't know if the chickory was/is enough to worry about but it was something I had added just prior to my hitting the wall with sals. Since sals are cumulative, I can't say that's what put me over the edge or not. I suspect it was simply a combo of lots of foods that had high sals. But I'm really, really getting better with the dh & rarely itch since going low sal. I NEED the vacation from the itching & don't want to chance going back there again at least until I've experienced relief for a while.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I understand.

Everyone is so different, it's impossible to predict this stuff.

Homemade yogurt is supposed to be easy. I'm going to try making my own coconut based (but that's out for you because of sals). You'll find tons of recipes for milk based. I'm trying kefir, actually. Found some cultures at the store.

Your best bet, for awhile, is to get a compounded vitamin or probiotic if you're nervous. Most probiotics I've seen are just probiotics with varying gelcap ingredients. Vitamins are tougher, they like to add stuff, don't they? Perhaps a compounding pharmacy may be able to help with that, too?

Hopefully you can ease your iodine restriction soon as sals and iga decrease. Makes life easier fighting fewer battles.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Good information IH. Thank you.

I don't know if the chickory was/is enough to worry about but it was something I had added just prior to my hitting the wall with sals. Since sals are cumulative, I can't say that's what put me over the edge or not. I suspect it was simply a combo of lots of foods that had high sals. But I'm really, really getting better with the dh & rarely itch since going low sal. I NEED the vacation from the itching & don't want to chance going back there again at least until I've experienced relief for a while.

The Custom Probiotics I use are POWDER--(not capsules)nothing else.

FWIW

I hope you get continuous relief soon.

I have done the diet to eliminate sals/amines/nitrates, sulphites, MSG/chemicals before myself, so I do understand all about cumulative effect.

I had a build-up in me from using so many herbals and supplements (I saw a NP and integrative med doc for 2 years :rolleyes: before I was DXED ) and all that stuff in a Celiac/very leaky gut was just a disaster. I was toxic.

I did the Failsafe Diet (pain in the butt) but it helped quite a bit.

I know it's hard for you, hon. :( Wish I could be more help with this.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

The Custom Probiotics I use are POWDER--(not capsules)nothing else.

FWIW

I hope you get continuous relief soon.

I have done the diet to eliminate sals/amines/nitrates, sulphites, MSG/chemicals before myself, so I do understand all about cumulative effect.

I had a build-up in me from using so many herbals and supplements (I saw a NP and integrative med doc for 2 years :rolleyes: before I was DXED ) and all that stuff in a Celiac/very leaky gut was just a disaster. I was toxic.

I did the Failsafe Diet (pain in the butt) but it helped quite a bit.

I know it's hard for you, hon. :( Wish I could be more help with this.

I know what you mean about the herbals. I switched over to natural stuff - skin care, hair color, laundry detergeant, cleaning supplies - you name it prior to dx. Then, with DH had to go back to chemicals because I didn't know what was triggering it, and some had gluten, some had iodine, all were high sals.

Now I'm battling xenoestrogens - chemicals and some plants.

I swear we can't win.

But I did find some interesting Hawaiin vodka yesterday and am looking forward to a shot (or 3).

IrishHeart Veteran

But I did find some interesting Hawaiin vodka yesterday and am looking forward to a shot (or 3).

sounds like a plan :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

This is what I did. I took the Failsafe Diet suggestions for the various food sensitivities and made one list of safe foods.

It takes out EVERYTHING (sals, amines, nitrates, all additives, preservatives, MSG, chemicals etc.)

B O R I N G :angry: but effective. It excludes poultry, and all nuts except cashews. Hardly any fruits or vegs.

White rice

brown rice

peeled white potatoes only

canned beans

green beans

brussels sprouts

cabbage

fresh, unroasted cashews

celery

chives, coriander, garlic

leeks

iceberg lettuce

peeled pears

green scallions

rutabaga

Irish butter (this is just my personal preference :)Kerry Gold )

goat milk

buffalo milk mozzarella

sour cream

plain yogurt

farmer's cheese/cottage cheese

plain cream cheese

ricotta cheese

milk (I do not drink cow's milk anyway and giving up coconut milk was a bummer)

eggs

small individual pears in syrup

beef

veal

lamb

fish, crab, lobster, scallops (but NO SHRIMP)

white sugar

rice syrup

maple syrup

Lyle's golden syrup

decaf instant coffee

water--lots of water

gin,vodka, neat or with soda, if tolerated

I did eat homemade bread so I "cheated" by using yeast, tap starch and X-gum, but they were not mentioned as problem foods, :) and all the rest of the ingredients are approved.

Try it for a week; see what happens?

A month is recommended for anyone who has not already been eliminating sals, etc.

IrishHeart Veteran

To make Brussels Sprouts more exciting :D (because on the diet, that's about all you can eat)

Saute' 2-3 plump sliced shallots in 2 TBLS. butter (and/or bacon drippings) until lightly brown, then,

add and bring to a boil:

1 cup veg stock or water

1 bay leaf

1 sprig thyme

several sprigs fresh paresly

3 TBLS. port or dry sherry (optional, but yummy)

S and P, if desired

1 lb. Brussels Sprouts-- cut them in half

Reduce heat to medium and cover, simmer until the sprouts are tender, about 13-15 minutes. Remove the herbs before serving.

If you are being strict about the herbs & spices, omit them.

The carmelized shallots make the flavor.

Skylark Collaborator

Failsafe messed me up bad with all the lectins. <_< On the bright side, it helped me figure out that I do better low-amine, particularly tyramine.

The elimination phase goes for a month at least. From everything I've heard from people successful with the diet it can take considerably longer and you have to be as strict as we are with gluten-free. A week won't cut it because it takes a long time for your body to eliminate all the problem food chemicals. There are a lot of fiddly details to learn too. For example, the pears have to be in syrup rather than juice because pear juice has salicylates from the skin. And it's not "pears" on the list. It's "peeled pears" because the skin has sals. Same with the white potatoes. They have to be deeply peeled (learned that the hard way).

Cooking takes practice. IH's brussels sprouts recipe (which sounds yummy, thanks!) is not even remotely suitable for Failsafe, for example. Bay leaf, vegetable stock, thyme, pepper, and wine are all out. LOL! I was roasting brussels sprouts by tossing them in non-GMO canola oil and salt. Spread them in a dish and roast at 400F until they are tender and lightly browned.

You can read more here if it sounds helpful.

Open Original Shared Link

IrishHeart Veteran

The elimination phase goes for a month at least.

Cooking takes practice. IH's brussels sprouts recipe (which sounds yummy, thanks!) is not even remotely suitable for Failsafe, for example. Bay leaf, vegetable stock, thyme, pepper, and wine are all out. LOL!

Yes, a month is required, but I know she has already been on a low sal, etc. diet for some time, I was just trying to see if the extra exclusions helped her at all.

I will go back and put in peeled potatoes, and peeled pears, but it says pears in syrup.

and yes about the Brussels sprouts recipe, which is why I said "herbs and booze can be omitted" and instead of stock --use water :)

Later, when she can tolerate them, the full recipe may be something she would like.

That list I wrote for myself and used with great success is from the site Skylark has provided.

Skylark Collaborator

Fresh peeled pears are OK too. :)

Sue Dengate says amines are the slowest to clear, taking 3-4 weeks in some people. That's why the loooooong elimination.

IrishHeart Veteran

Fresh peeled pears are OK too. :)

Sue Dengate says amines are the slowest to clear, taking 3-4 weeks in some people. That's why the loooooong elimination.

I know--and I do have those on the list, I just failed to type the word "peeled", so I added that word.

I ate a LOT of those. :rolleyes:

I am not sure amines are Squrimy's problem? but she can try it.

None of us like these special diets, but I did it for a month and felt better. :)

Skylark Collaborator

I felt better in some ways, worse in others. Lectins don't seem to be very good for me and I was eating a lot of beans, lentils, and permitted grains. On top of that, soy milk was the only "safe" milk I could find for my coffee and soy and cruciferous veggies (cabbage, brussels sprouts) are hard on thyroid patients. :lol: What a mess. I'm still getting over the hypothyroid fatigue.

My mind cleared incrementally but I think the Migrelief my Dr. started me on has more to do with it.

IrishHeart Veteran

I felt better in some ways, worse in others. Lectins don't seem to be very good for me and I was eating a lot of beans, lentils, and permitted grains. On top of that, soy milk was the only "safe" milk I could find for my coffee and soy and cruciferous veggies (cabbage, brussels sprouts) are hard on thyroid patients. :lol: What a mess. I'm still getting over the hypothyroid fatigue.

My mind cleared incrementally but I think the Migrelief my Dr. started me on has more to do with it.

The Thyroid is a tricky organ. <_< I am delighted mine is "behaving" now. It was wonky for a long time.

I should clarify I did not really eat the beans (I was avoiding legumes) or lentils (I do not like lentils at all).

The list was more of a reference for her.

Soy is out for me so I just had NO milk at all....bummer. :(

IH does not like black coffee....bah!

It seems when we try to balance one thing, something else "pops up"...maddening, isn't it? :blink:

Skylark Collaborator

It seems when we try to balance one thing, something else "pops up"...maddening, isn't it? :blink:

Yeah, I'm kind of over the specialty diet thing. I'm just avoiding the things I know get me. Migraine triggers and too many beans/grains. I'm kind of beat down because nothing is really working and I can't figure out why my good days are good or my bad days are bad. :(

IrishHeart Veteran

Yeah, I'm kind of over the specialty diet thing. I'm just avoiding the things I know get me. Migraine triggers and too many beans/grains. I'm kind of beat down because nothing is really working and I can't figure out why my good days are good or my bad days are bad. :(

I hear you. I tried all kinds of elimination diets. Nothing in particular worked for long and I was miserable when I felt deprived.

I have one rule now:

If something makes me feel lousy, I don't eat it. :)

No rhyme or reason as to why I do well for a few days or so, then don't. Still have rotten joint/nerve/muscle pain and occasional migraines and histamine- type responses to God knows what food and everyone just says "Be patient." yeah, yeah....

Easy for them to say. :rolleyes:

I just focus on how far I have come. Keeps me from going utterly bonkers. :lol:

squirmingitch Veteran

Most excellent info. ALL of you & I greatly appreciate it! Call me hardheaded --- go ahead --- but I think I'm going the low sal first & then try the other special diets if I continue to have problems. BUT --- I found Chobani PLAIN yogurt today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!biggrin.gif

I'm doing pretty good w/o the sals & I'm getting iodine now (enough but no ODing on it) so I'm going to run with this program for a while & see where it takes me. No itchies lately ---- 3-4 days now. I'm smiling!smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I know where to find those other diets if I need them though.wink.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

BUT --- I found Chobani PLAIN yogurt today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!biggrin.gif

I'm doing pretty good w/o the sals & I'm getting iodine now (enough but no ODing on it) so I'm going to run with this program for a while & see where it takes me. No itchies lately ---- 3-4 days now. I'm smiling!

YYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY---I am doing the happy dance for you!!!!! ;):)

squirmingitch Veteran

Woooooooo, I tried the plain Chobani & yeow! it's sour! Pucker up. I ought to put it on a baked potato & I think I will.smile.gif I did grab some vanilla flavored --- I can't find vanilla on any of the sals lists & I also grabbed a container of mango --- it's in the moderate range of sals.

Interesting that it says it has 2 times more protein than regular yogurts.

IrishHeart Veteran

Woooooooo, I tried the plain Chobani & yeow! it's sour! Pucker up. I ought to put it on a baked potato & I think I will.smile.gif I did grab some vanilla flavored --- I can't find vanilla on any of the sals lists & I also grabbed a container of mango --- it's in the moderate range of sals.

Tart indeed! :P

I added a bit of stevia to it. Otherwise, it is just like sour cream to me. :lol: :lol: Good on taters!

Mango is one of my favorite fruits EVER. I ate so many of them in FLa last month (along with other sals )and I may have overloaded my system. When I get glutened ---or overdo the sals, etc.-- I BURN in my skin. From head to toe--a deep radiating burning sensation no one could explain to me. (until my DX) It's horrible.

You guys get itchy and scabby. I get itchy and oozey little sores on my scalp and this insanely intense burning in my skin --so bad I could not wear clothing at times. It made my life living hell. I had it for nearly 4 years until it subsided. I asked the doc about this and he said it is just like a pre-cursor to the blistering. The derma layers are affected, but I do not erupt. I hate the burning....ARRGH!!

So, I feel for you guys with DH; I really do. :(

BTW

I think you may notice....the sals websites are never the same :rolleyes: in their lists of high-low foods.

Skylark Collaborator

Glad you found some yogurt that will work! For what it's worth, Failsafe diet allows vanilla flavor. It also allows natural maple syrup. I bet that would take the edge off plain yogurt. I like plain Fage better than Chobani. Grab it if you ever see it becasue it's really mild and good.

Archived