53 replies to this topic

#1 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

I was taking Culturelle but ran into a problem with sals & Culturelle has chickory root extract therefore high sals. I got some Solgar Advanced Multi-Billion Dophilus & find it has Sodium Alginate --- high iodine. I was doing better digestive wise when taking the probiotics. And I can eat yogurt but can't find any gluten-free plain --- they all have high sal fruits in them so that would be sals + iodine. Sigh.

Any suggestions?

Since both iodine & sals are cumulative; should I take Culturelle one day & then the Solgar the next & alternate days taking one 1 day & the other the next day & so forth?

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

Hello?

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

Don't take either if they are giving you trouble. There is an additive-free medical probiotic called VSL#3. It's pricey so I'm making my bottle last by taking it every few days and it seems OK.

Why you are having finding gluten-free plain yogurt? All the Yoplait containers I've picked up are marked gluten-free, and there are a bunch of Greek yogurts on the market with only milk and active cultures as ingredients. Fage is wonderful. If all else fails, make your own. :)

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

Thanks very much Skylark. I haven't been able to find any plain Yoplait. Only the fruity ones & I'm watching sals right now.
Yes, if all else fails I will have to make my own. Thanks also for the VSL#3 info.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

Honestly, the tiny amount of chicory root extract may be so negligible that it does not matter, but I know you are trying to avoid as much as you can, so I understand why you wish to avoid that brand for now.

Custom Probiotics --also pricey--but very effective and worth it.

The owner will speak with you on the phone and tell you what's in them. :)

Plain Chobani yogurt is pretty good.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

Good information IH. Thank you.
I don't know if the chickory was/is enough to worry about but it was something I had added just prior to my hitting the wall with sals. Since sals are cumulative, I can't say that's what put me over the edge or not. I suspect it was simply a combo of lots of foods that had high sals. But I'm really, really getting better with the dh & rarely itch since going low sal. I NEED the vacation from the itching & don't want to chance going back there again at least until I've experienced relief for a while.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#7 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

I understand.

Everyone is so different, it's impossible to predict this stuff.

Homemade yogurt is supposed to be easy. I'm going to try making my own coconut based (but that's out for you because of sals). You'll find tons of recipes for milk based. I'm trying kefir, actually. Found some cultures at the store.

Your best bet, for awhile, is to get a compounded vitamin or probiotic if you're nervous. Most probiotics I've seen are just probiotics with varying gelcap ingredients. Vitamins are tougher, they like to add stuff, don't they? Perhaps a compounding pharmacy may be able to help with that, too?

Hopefully you can ease your iodine restriction soon as sals and iga decrease. Makes life easier fighting fewer battles.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

Good information IH. Thank you.
I don't know if the chickory was/is enough to worry about but it was something I had added just prior to my hitting the wall with sals. Since sals are cumulative, I can't say that's what put me over the edge or not. I suspect it was simply a combo of lots of foods that had high sals. But I'm really, really getting better with the dh & rarely itch since going low sal. I NEED the vacation from the itching & don't want to chance going back there again at least until I've experienced relief for a while.

The Custom Probiotics I use are POWDER--(not capsules)nothing else.
FWIW

I hope you get continuous relief soon.

I have done the diet to eliminate sals/amines/nitrates, sulphites, MSG/chemicals before myself, so I do understand all about cumulative effect.

I had a build-up in me from using so many herbals and supplements (I saw a NP and integrative med doc for 2 years :rolleyes: before I was DXED ) and all that stuff in a Celiac/very leaky gut was just a disaster. I was toxic.

I did the Failsafe Diet (pain in the butt) but it helped quite a bit.

I know it's hard for you, hon. :( Wish I could be more help with this.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

The Custom Probiotics I use are POWDER--(not capsules)nothing else.
FWIW

I hope you get continuous relief soon.

I have done the diet to eliminate sals/amines/nitrates, sulphites, MSG/chemicals before myself, so I do understand all about cumulative effect.

I had a build-up in me from using so many herbals and supplements (I saw a NP and integrative med doc for 2 years :rolleyes: before I was DXED ) and all that stuff in a Celiac/very leaky gut was just a disaster. I was toxic.

I did the Failsafe Diet (pain in the butt) but it helped quite a bit.

I know it's hard for you, hon. :( Wish I could be more help with this.

I know what you mean about the herbals. I switched over to natural stuff - skin care, hair color, laundry detergeant, cleaning supplies - you name it prior to dx. Then, with DH had to go back to chemicals because I didn't know what was triggering it, and some had gluten, some had iodine, all were high sals.

Now I'm battling xenoestrogens - chemicals and some plants.

I swear we can't win.

But I did find some interesting Hawaiin vodka yesterday and am looking forward to a shot (or 3).
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

But I did find some interesting Hawaiin vodka yesterday and am looking forward to a shot (or 3).

sounds like a plan :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

This is what I did. I took the Failsafe Diet suggestions for the various food sensitivities and made one list of safe foods.
It takes out EVERYTHING (sals, amines, nitrates, all additives, preservatives, MSG, chemicals etc.)

B O R I N G :angry: but effective. It excludes poultry, and all nuts except cashews. Hardly any fruits or vegs.

White rice
brown rice
peeled white potatoes only
canned beans
green beans
brussels sprouts
cabbage
fresh, unroasted cashews
celery
chives, coriander, garlic
leeks
iceberg lettuce
peeled pears
green scallions
rutabaga
Irish butter (this is just my personal preference :)Kerry Gold )
goat milk
buffalo milk mozzarella
sour cream
plain yogurt
farmer's cheese/cottage cheese
plain cream cheese
ricotta cheese
milk (I do not drink cow's milk anyway and giving up coconut milk was a bummer)
eggs
small individual pears in syrup
beef
veal
lamb
fish, crab, lobster, scallops (but NO SHRIMP)
white sugar
rice syrup
maple syrup
Lyle's golden syrup
decaf instant coffee
water--lots of water
gin,vodka, neat or with soda, if tolerated

I did eat homemade bread so I "cheated" by using yeast, tap starch and X-gum, but they were not mentioned as problem foods, :) and all the rest of the ingredients are approved.

Try it for a week; see what happens?

A month is recommended for anyone who has not already been eliminating sals, etc.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

To make Brussels Sprouts more exciting :D (because on the diet, that's about all you can eat)

Saute' 2-3 plump sliced shallots in 2 TBLS. butter (and/or bacon drippings) until lightly brown, then,

add and bring to a boil:

1 cup veg stock or water
1 bay leaf
1 sprig thyme
several sprigs fresh paresly
3 TBLS. port or dry sherry (optional, but yummy)
S and P, if desired
1 lb. Brussels Sprouts-- cut them in half

Reduce heat to medium and cover, simmer until the sprouts are tender, about 13-15 minutes. Remove the herbs before serving.

If you are being strict about the herbs & spices, omit them.

The carmelized shallots make the flavor.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Failsafe messed me up bad with all the lectins. <_< On the bright side, it helped me figure out that I do better low-amine, particularly tyramine.

The elimination phase goes for a month at least. From everything I've heard from people successful with the diet it can take considerably longer and you have to be as strict as we are with gluten-free. A week won't cut it because it takes a long time for your body to eliminate all the problem food chemicals. There are a lot of fiddly details to learn too. For example, the pears have to be in syrup rather than juice because pear juice has salicylates from the skin. And it's not "pears" on the list. It's "peeled pears" because the skin has sals. Same with the white potatoes. They have to be deeply peeled (learned that the hard way).

Cooking takes practice. IH's brussels sprouts recipe (which sounds yummy, thanks!) is not even remotely suitable for Failsafe, for example. Bay leaf, vegetable stock, thyme, pepper, and wine are all out. LOL! I was roasting brussels sprouts by tossing them in non-GMO canola oil and salt. Spread them in a dish and roast at 400F until they are tender and lightly browned.

You can read more here if it sounds helpful.
http://failsafediet....-diet-failsafe/

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

The elimination phase goes for a month at least.

Cooking takes practice. IH's brussels sprouts recipe (which sounds yummy, thanks!) is not even remotely suitable for Failsafe, for example. Bay leaf, vegetable stock, thyme, pepper, and wine are all out. LOL!

Yes, a month is required, but I know she has already been on a low sal, etc. diet for some time, I was just trying to see if the extra exclusions helped her at all.

I will go back and put in peeled potatoes, and peeled pears, but it says pears in syrup.

and yes about the Brussels sprouts recipe, which is why I said "herbs and booze can be omitted" and instead of stock --use water :)

Later, when she can tolerate them, the full recipe may be something she would like.

That list I wrote for myself and used with great success is from the site Skylark has provided.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Fresh peeled pears are OK too. :)

Sue Dengate says amines are the slowest to clear, taking 3-4 weeks in some people. That's why the loooooong elimination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: