8 replies to this topic

#1 kristianne26

kristianne26

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

We are having a good bye potluck for someone at work that is not only gluten free, but dairy free as well. I am wondering if anyone has any good ideas for a dish that I could bring. I am gluten free, so my home is clean and I have no CC issues to worry about, however I have never done a cold gluten-free pasta salad or anything like that. How does rice pasta do cold, the next day? Any tips on anything would be really helpful. Usually when we do things like this at work I bring a veggie tray, but I would really like to make something that she can actually eat and enjoy. I know too well what it is like to take some raw veggies and nothing else. I would be willing to make just about anything from a main dish to dessert. Any help would be great!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

Fruit like strawberries , would be nice. Use a coconut based vanilla yogurt for a dip. Make the vanilla yogurt into a pia colada dip.

I'll be back and add that recipe here. Give me a few minutes. ( playing final Jepordy music)

OK. I'm back.

Pina Colada Dip

2 (6 oz) containers of vanilla yogurt
1 teaspoon rum or rum extract
3 tbsp toasted flaked coconut
2 tbsp finely chopped pineapple

Mix together with 2 tbsp of coconut & refrigerate to let the flavors mingle. Put the last of the cocnut on top to serve.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

Are you looking for a hot casserole...something that could be taken in a crockpot? I was thinking of something like Spanish rice, which would be tomato-based with no dairy in it.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#4 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

If you can take a crock pot, I've got a great option for you. It's a knock off of the PF Changs lettuce wraps. Let me know and I'll post the recipe.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#5 kristianne26

kristianne26

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

If you can take a crock pot, I've got a great option for you. It's a knock off of the PF Changs lettuce wraps. Let me know and I'll post the recipe.

I can definetly do something in a crockpot, please post recipes! Thank you guys so much for your ideas!!

#6 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

How about meatballs? Sweet and sour, honey garlic, etc.
Meatloaf or Shepherd's Pie
Chicken wings (hundreds of kinds)
Ribs (hundreds of kinds as well)
Pulled pork
Chicken fingers with a cool dip or dips

All the above are easy to make (most in a slow cooker if you want), transport and keep warm.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps

2 garlic cloves minced (I use the minced stuff in the jar (but not dehydrated))
1 pound ground chicken (buy ground or you can make yourself using boneless skinless chicken breast coarsely chopped then food processed)
1 Tbsp dark sesame oil
3 Tbsp teriyaki sauce (La Choy)
2 Tbsp peanut butter
cup peanuts
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp chili-garlic paste (more if you like it spicier)
1/2 tsp dried ground ginger
2 green onions chopped (I usually skip this and just add more onion powder)
tsp onion powder
teaspoon rice vinegar (optional Ive got rice vinegar so I use it)
Lettuce Leaves of choice (we use Romaine)

Cook on a stove but keep warm in a crockpot . . .

Cook chicken/garlic in hot sesame oil in large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until chicken is done. Drain chicken. Stir in the rest of the ingredients except for the lettuce. Cook until thoroughly heated. Spoon onto lettuce leaves or directly into mouth.

The recipe is very forgiving . . . I measure everything half-a$$ed. I go extra heavy on the peanut butter, brown sugar and the teriyaki sauce (probably 1 of what it calls for).

If you make your own ground chicken (in a food processor) it is a lot lower in fat . . . but also means more work and youve got to clean a food processor. I just buy the ground chicken in the store and drain well after browning. Then Ill add a touch of sesame oil back in just for flavor.

When I make a large batch (3 pounds of chicken or more), I add an 8oz can of chopped up water chestnuts just to add a little more crunch.

I use Lee Kum Kee Chili Garlic Sauce (if you can find it - my grocery store carries it). Over the years, this is the sauce that has a nice balance of flavor and spice. Ive had some that tasted more like shrimp cocktail sauce.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

darn it! my bad. I posted a dessert, but realized it had dairy in it (butter)...sorry,,, let me try again!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Mango Pineapple Salsa

1 mango, diced small
1/2 pineapple, diced small
1/2 red onion, diced small
1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
small bunch fresh chopped cilantro
juice of 1 lime
Mix together.

Serve with corn chips.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: