27 replies to this topic

#1 JustNana

JustNana

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Two places come to mind for me. Keep in mind I'm a newbie and just a tad naive. I was shocked, yes shocked to find that my Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc supplement had wheat in it. Yeah I know. My Dr was surprised! Duh.

The second was in a bag of cashews my cousin was munching on and offered. A quick glance at ingredients said "cashews and salt.". Two hours later I was scratching with new DH flares. I hadn't had anything else since my breakfast of egg on a slice of Udis and yogurt. I dug the bag out of the trash and down at the bottom in small print was the disclaimer about shared equipment with peanuts and wheat! 

Sheesh

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Two places come to mind for me. Keep in mind I'm a newbie and just a tad naive. I was shocked, yes shocked to find that my Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc supplement had wheat in it. Yeah I know. My Dr was surprised! Duh.

The second was in a bag of cashews my cousin was munching on and offered. A quick glance at ingredients said "cashews and salt.". Two hours later I was scratching with new DH flares. I hadn't had anything else since my breakfast of egg on a slice of Udis and yogurt. I dug the bag out of the trash and down at the bottom in small print was the disclaimer about shared equipment with peanuts and wheat! 

Sheesh

Read on the DH threads. Many find that iodine triggers thier DH. I don't know which foods naturally have iodine but some salts have iodine added.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

I I eat many kinds of nuts but cashews just make me sick, upset stomach, headache, itchy skin.. I just assumed I have an allergy to cashews.. The ones I ate were organic & no shared equipment.. So maybe it is just cashews in general....I also have to limit my pistachio's for the same reason...

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

Chopped nut sundae topping. Why do chopped peanuts need wheat starch, seriously? :blink: They're not THAT oily. Fortunately I read the label before I put them on my sundae.

#5 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

Wow thx for the info.

I have spent a lot of time today on the DH thread. Very good advice and things I didnt know. The iodine thing is intriguing to me because as I was filling a salt shaker last week I noticed I accidentally got "non-iodized" so we've been using that for maybe 3 weeks. Just in the last 24-36 hours I have had a striking improvement (knock on wood) in my itching. Maybe just being hyper vigilant gluten-free for a few weeks is working. I have my fingers crossed.

I can live without cashews too. :-). I have been looking at salicylate info and don't think I have issues there. I am a red wine drinker and have never been able to blame any symptoms on it. I'm going to cheek amines next.

#6 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

This may just be my ignorance: split peas. :blink:

I know of someone else who found that there was wheat in her sweet tea..

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

I I eat many kinds of nuts but cashews just make me sick, upset stomach, headache, itchy skin.. I just assumed I have an allergy to cashews.. The ones I ate were organic & no shared equipment.. So maybe it is just cashews in general....I also have to limit my pistachio's for the same reason...

That's funny. Cashews are the easiest for me to handle because they are low in tyramine. Isn't it interesting how different we all are?

#8 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

That's funny. Cashews are the easiest for me to handle because they are low in tyramine. Isn't it interesting how different we all are?

Cashews and pistachios make my mother itch. I don't like cashews but they don't make me react, and neither do pistachios. And my mother (we're 95% sure) doesn't have any kind of gluten intolerance, I get it all from my daddy (thanks Daddy!) It is funny how different we all are.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#9 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

No two alike! God made us all unique for sure! Some more than others!!!!!!!

#10 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

I'm still bitter about Twizzlers.

#11 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

Oh my gosh... Twizzlers. That was truly my first "what the hell?!?!?!" moment.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#12 lesliev523

lesliev523

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

WHAT??? REALLY?? I am just starting to go gluten free and I assumed most candy would be fine. Damn... Now I will have to go look up my favorites!

I read somewhere that blue cheese has gluten.... but then saw reports online that it was safe. Anyone have issues with blue cheese?
Gluten free since 4/17/12

#13 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

WHAT??? REALLY?? I am just starting to go gluten free and I assumed most candy would be fine. Damn... Now I will have to go look up my favorites!

I read somewhere that blue cheese has gluten.... but then saw reports online that it was safe. Anyone have issues with blue cheese?

Blue cheese has pretty much universally been declared safe. I've never had a problem with it. Even the very few blue cheeses that still have a bread starter for the culture do not have a measurable amount of gluten.

richard

#14 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

I'm still bitter about licorice allsorts. I can get decent gluten-free licorice but not allsorts.

#15 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,964 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

Skylark

I agree no gluten-free licorice is like the real deal...have you tried the ACE gluten-free brand? still not wonderful but again gluten-free!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: