Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

Me too. Several years ago Glutino (I think) used to make a bar called Big Break & it was just like a kitkat... There is a recipe floating around for a homemade version. Glutino now has a hazelnut bar that isn't to bad ...butI loved the BigBreak Bar...

#18 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

Skylark

I agree no gluten-free licorice is like the real deal...have you tried the ACE gluten-free brand? still not wonderful but again gluten-free!!!!!

There IS real liquorice, just not allsorts. Orgran gluten-free molasses licorice that is as good as Panda. Soft, chewy, full flavor. Gluten-free Mall carries it, though if you shop around there are cheaper places. I also liked the Chateau D'Lanz swiss licorice. It has a great, full flavor but it's not as soft and chewy as Orgran. The Gimbal's gluten-free scotties are OK, but not wonderful.

I haven't tried the Ace brand. Candy Tree also makes gluten-free licorice sticks and twizzler-like candies that I haven't tried yet.

#19 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

candy tree is horrible!!! Scottie dogs are just Oh Hum for me.... Organ is okay. ANd I never heard of the swiss one you mentioned. Where do you get it???

I made the kids gluten-free lamb cupcakes for Easter & used the candy tree for the ears & tails...it is so hard.kids threw it out ....

#20 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

Glad I haven't missed anything with the Candy Tree.

I got an 8-pack of the Chateau D'Lanz licorice at A m a z o n. If the kids are looking for a twizzler texture they won't like this one at all. It's a candy drop that is only slightly chewy. It's better to suck on.

Edit: Hey, check this out!
http://www.licoricei...en-Free-c14.htm Still no gluten-free allsorts but there's a bunch of stuff to try!

#21 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

wow. that's some site! one could go on a gluten-free sugar high!

What I'm now really searching for is a gluten-free candy that is the same size as a malted milk ball....I have a recipe for candy turky's that uses an oreo(gluten-free) candy corn & a malted milk ball.. for the head... I can make truffles but I'll keep searching wont need them til next turkey day in Nov....I could coat gumballs.. ifI had too.... someone said the Lindt Balls the white choc are gluten-free but I haven't checked yet....

#22 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Basically, while some of their stuff doesn't contain any gluten ingredients, it's all one big happy family at Lindt with shared equipment so they make no promises. If you're into the shared equipment sort of thing you could try it, but I thought they are a fair deal larger than malted milk balls. (Not totally sure, malted milk balls are nasty! Haven't touched them since I was like 5.)

http://www.lindtusa..../display/faq#1a

Darn it all... now I want truffles!

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#23 Sunny600

Sunny600

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

I've just recently gone gluten-free, but candy really surprised me too. Here's a website with a fairly recent listing: http://celiacdisease...a/GFcandies.htm

#24 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

wow. that's some site! one could go on a gluten-free sugar high!

I splurged. $30 worth of gluten-free licorice including the licorice-flavored coffee that I just had to try out of curiosity is on the way. :lol: Licorice is supposed to support the adrenals. Yeah. That's my excuse. ;)

#25 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

I splurged. $30 worth of gluten-free licorice including the licorice-flavored coffee that I just had to try out of curiosity is on the way. :lol: Licorice is supposed to support the adrenals. Yeah. That's my excuse. ;)

Hmm... that sounds both convincing and delicious......

:lol:

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#26 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Skylark

So how was the coffee licorice? My favorite licorce besides the black was that soft thin string kind I think it was cherry flavor!It was soft & yummy... Can't truly remember.. What we feed our poor intestinal systems! And tjhen we wonder why we don't feel like $100 bucks!!! The American diet ............

#27 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Skylark

So how was the coffee licorice? My favorite licorce besides the black was that soft thin string kind I think it was cherry flavor!It was soft & yummy... Can't truly remember.. What we feed our poor intestinal systems! And tjhen we wonder why we don't feel like $100 bucks!!! The American diet ............

Ask me in a week when the mail order package arrives. :P

It's not candy. It's real coffee, with licorice flavor. Can't decide whether it will be gross or marvelous but I'm a total javahead (gee, do I still have javahead street cred drinking decaf for migraines???) so I had to get some to find out. :lol:

#28 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Let us know... I guess I mis-read & thought it was candy....hope you enjoy your package ofgoodies.. Weall need to indulge sometimes & we deserve it.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: