7 replies to this topic

#1 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

So I'm eating gluten again before my biopsy to make sure I am a celiac. (I chose this because I didn't feel much better after going gluten free), so I've been eating gluten for almost 3 weeks again. I have a lot more gas, and I'm more tired brain fog I think, kinda hard to tell.

Anyways, never had upset stomach or diarrhea or anything immediate from eating gluten, and I just ate soy sauce, supposedly with gluten for the first time since being diagnosed, at a restaurant. My stomach feels awful, and it started like 5 10 minutes after eating it. So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with soy sauce in particular being worse for them than other sources of gluten, or if there's any chemistry/biology behind why it perhaps might be? I eat soy a couple times a week regularly, in tofu and gluten-free soy sauce (the brand I used to buy was gluten-free anyways) so I don't think its just the soy.

I did read someone's blog about realizing soy sauce made them sick and are now a celiac, and they realized it was the soy sauce because they lived in Japan, came home for xmas in the US and felt fine, and then felt sick again when they wnet back because soy sauce was eaten at like, every meal. Presumably the person ate some form of gluten back in the US too though..?
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

Sometimes a bunch of MSG will get me, and soy sauce has plenty of it!

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

For me it would be a double wammy because I don't tolerate soy. I do miss soy sauce.
If you are back on gluten for testing your reactions may also be building up. It can take a bit to react when we add it back in so not all notice stomach issues as the first symptom.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Triple threat for me --gluten, soy and MSG! :blink:

I'd be so sick, dazed and have such a pounding headache and racing heart ....I'd want to die. <_<

I used to eat Chinese food before DX and wonder why I felt so bad.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

Wow. :ph34r: At least I can tolerate soy though I avoid it becasue of my thyroid.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

Wow. :ph34r: At least I can tolerate soy though I avoid it becasue of my thyroid.

I can do a little soy lecithin and a little soybean oil in things now, but I avoided it totally for a year. But I am not a soy fan anyway. Tofu? blech. :lol:

(and from all I have read, yes, soy depresses the thyroid and affects estrogen levels as well)

Not the best food for most of us, I am thinking. :unsure:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Yes soy sauce is the bane of my existence. :ph34r:

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#8 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

I'd be so sick, dazed and have such a pounding headache and racing heart ....I'd want to die. <_<

I used to eat Chinese food before DX and wonder why I felt so bad.

I'd be in the same boat with IrishHeart. I react to all 3 too. Even before I was DXed with Celiac I knew soy sauce bothered me. :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: