This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice And Mini-Wheats? What's Different About Them?

SandraLAVixen

SandraLAVixen Apprentice

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this, so move as needed.

Ever since I had acute abdominal pain back in December 2011, the only two bread-like foods I could eat that would not cause pain are white rice and mini-wheats (the frosted ones Kelloggs makes).

Any other bread or pastas would send me to the ER 1-2 hours after eating them.

Does anyone know anything that is different about rice and mini-wheats?

I have tried whole wheat (unprocessed) bread, cakes, noodles, pastas, doughnut, and even bread crumbs, they all cause the same amount of insane pain.

Note that before December of 2011 I have always eaten breads and pastas without any problems. I'm not formally diagnosed with Celiac's, in fact, I have had so many tests that have come back negative for Celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Have you read the ingredient list to see what they have in common and how they are different from the other products!

Are you eating them with milk? Do you always eat them at the same time of day?

Oddly enough, sometimes milk helps with stomach acid issues. I know you'll read otherwise but it does that for some people.

And finally, sometimes there's so reasoning it out. It just is.

SandraLAVixen Apprentice

Right that's the thing, mini-wheats does NOT contain "enriched wheat flour", it's "whole wheat". BUT I have eaten whole wheat bread and it DOES hurt.

I'm not sure if milk helps or not, it does not seem to make much of a difference. I know that I do NOT have an acid problem. I have tried Omeprazole, Sucrafate, Bental, and even had two endoscopies done, there is no acid problem so I'm certain it's not the thing.

I was hoping someone knows what is different about white rice and mini-wheat cereal that is different from all other breads/pastas (which hurt insanely for me).

PS: This all started back in Dec 2011, I've eaten breads a lot my whole life without ever feeling a thing (let alone ending up in the ER).

GFinDC Veteran

Rice is kind of small and oblong while mini-wheats is rectangular. Maybe you can only eat rectangular wheat? OK, I got nothing! :)

Open Original Shared Link

Mini-wheats original flavor:

Ingredients:

Whole grain wheat, sugar, contains 2% or less of brown rice syrup, gelatin, BHT for freshness.

Vitamins and Minerals: Reduced iron, niacinamide, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin hydrochloride), zinc oxide, folic acid, vitamin B12.

Allergens: CONTAINS WHEAT INGREDIENTS.

Rice ingredients:

Rice

maxjhon Newbie

Health benefits of rice include providing fast and instant energy, good bowel movement, stabilizing blood sugar levels and providing essential source of vitamin B1 to human body. Other benefits include skin care, resistance to high blood pressure, dysentery and heart diseases. And Frosted Mini-Wheats from Kellogg's are sweetened whole wheat breakfast cereals for children that you might want to consider for a snack or part of a balanced breakfast.

• 3 years later...
Aliciaandreson Newbie

I'm curious about this as well.   I was searching the Internet for answers as to why I seem to have a gluten intolerance to bread and pasta, but frosted mini wheats NEVER bother me.   

In fact,  when I am bloated and constipated from what seems to be every food on the planet,  my go to "food cleanse" are the mini wheats.    (That's if I'm out of cantaloupe). weird!

• 8 months later...
GFinDC Veteran
12 hours ago, Emdee said:

Gluten is found in the seed portion of wheat. Mini wheats do not have that seed portion. Rice does not contain gluten. This is why mini wheats and rice do not irritate your gluten sensitivity.

Hello Emdee,

The Kellog's website says the mini-wheats are made from 100% whole grain wheat.  Therefore your statement about them not containing the seed portion of the grain is incorrect.  Mini-wheats cereal is not safe for celiacs to eat.

Also, rice does contain gluten.  Gluten is the name for a protein/carbohydrate molecule found in the kernal of any grain seed.  Rice gluten however is not associated with the celiac immune reaction.  The grains linked to the celiac disease immune reaction are wheat, rye, barley, and for some people oats.

From the Kellogs site:

Open Original Shared Link

Each biscuit is made of 100% whole-grain wheat. That means one delicious bowl isn't just helping to fill you up, it’s helping to fill you up with at least 40 grams of whole grains — nearly a day's worth!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
4 hours ago, Emdee said:

Gluten is found in the seed portion of wheat. Mini wheats do not have that seed portion. Rice does not contain gluten. This is why mini wheats and rice do not irritate your gluten sensitivity.

Where do you get that info from?  Wheat flour  is made from the seed portion of wheat.  Mini wheat cereal contains gluten in the form of wheat flour.

Archived