This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New! And Need Some Tips!

SwtRandi

SwtRandi Rookie

Hi there! So I have been wheat intolerant since 2009. After having my son this past January my symptoms are even worse and I can no longer ingest any type of gluten at all. I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I am pretty sure staying away from gluten will reduce my symptoms. Yesterday, I was taken to the hospital because of intense abdominal pain. Turns out I have gallstones and I will need to have them removed next week. Ugh! Anyways, I was reading how common it is to have both gallstones and Celiac Disease. Interesting! Nice to "meet" you all! It will be nice to have you all to talk to!!

Ok, so my questions! I am wanting to go shopping and get some things that I can have to eat, but I am unsure if any of these are a no-no! Let me know. Thanks :)

Coffee- Regular folgers, store brands, etc.

Coffee Pods- One cup size

Non-Dairy Dry Creamer

All sugar okay?

What kind of salad dressing?!

What kind of oatmeal?!

I like Rudi's bread so I will get a loaf of that!

Anything else on the good gluten free list?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nanci Newbie

Hi there! So I have been wheat intolerant since 2009. After having my son this past January my symptoms are even worse and I can no longer ingest any type of gluten at all. I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I am pretty sure staying away from gluten will reduce my symptoms. Yesterday, I was taken to the hospital because of intense abdominal pain. Turns out I have gallstones and I will need to have them removed next week. Ugh! Anyways, I was reading how common it is to have both gallstones and Celiac Disease. Interesting! Nice to "meet" you all! It will be nice to have you all to talk to!!

Ok, so my questions! I am wanting to go shopping and get some things that I can have to eat, but I am unsure if any of these are a no-no! Let me know. Thanks :)

Non-Dairy Dry Creamer

All sugar okay?

What kind of oatmeal?!

Rudi's regular bread has a pretty good texture, but it's waay to sweet - too much molasses, I think. Rudi's raisin cinammon bread, however, is out of this world good! You won't even believe how good it is.

Now as far as plain bread for toast, sandwiches, or grilled cheese, "Udi's whole grain, as opposed to their white sandwich bread, is by far the most delicious of all the strictly gluten-free breads. I'm speaking of "Udi's" here, not "Rudi's. Lightly toasted, it makes even better sandwiches than gluttoned bread, in my opinion. Anyhow, you can't go wrong with these two! :)

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Non-Dairy Dry Creamer

All sugar okay?

What kind of oatmeal?!

I always advise fresh fruits and veggies,(frozen are fine too) non processed meats, seafood, eggs, and dairy if you tolerate it well. Keep things simple until you've done some healing.

If you must have crunchy snacks, plain Fritos or corn chips, some potato chips, popcorn. You MUST read labels though, because things change all of the time.

Coffee is fine, non dairy creamer, sugar is fine. I don't know about the pods..you will have to read the ingredients. Stay away from from anything with malt. It's made from barley.

Look at your seasonings, especially boulion cubes.

Best wishes for a full recovery from your gallstones. Painful buggers they are!

GFinDC Veteran

Hi, you may as well have the celiac antibody testing now before you go gluten-free. If you go gluten-free first, the celiac testing is not reliable. The antibody tests are a simple blood draw for testing. They are usually sent to a lab and you get results in a few weeks.

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

Agreed, if you go gluten free PRIOR to testing, you will ruin the potential for an accurate result.

NO OATS...often cross-contaminated (at least for me and many others)

Rudi's, Udi's, Outside the Breadbox, Against the Grain = Good breads

Pamela's Cookies

Tinkyada Pasta (brown rice is best, spaghetti)

Kinnikinnick donuts

I usually have French Roast coffee: Target Brand, Folger's and Costco. I have yet to have a problem, but beware of some flavored varieties

Nestle creamers will be clearly marked.

Get to know the ingredients that are issues; this way you can properly read the labels.

Good luck!

heatherjane Contributor

Certified gluten Free oats are generally considered safe, but they must be certified gluten free. Even then, a lot of celiacs can't tolerate oats at all. In my opinion, it's best to avoid them, especially in the beginning.

In regard to your salad dressing question, Kraft will clearly disclose gluten ingredients on their labels.

And FYI, I prefer Rudi's over Udi's, but everyone is different. ;)

Christine0125 Contributor

Non-Dairy Dry Creamer

All sugar okay?

What kind of oatmeal?!

I find Crunchmaster crackers really good especially with cheese or peanut butter.

For salad dressings I'm lucky to have a Wegmans near me and they label all their products very clearly on the front of the label. I really like their Italian and a Curry/Red Pepper dressing.

I've enjoyed Udi's bread and the hamburger buns are delish!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I have found that cream of rice cereal is a great alternative to oats. I won't lie, I still really miss my morning oatmeal but I have grown fond of my morning slop. You can do pretty much anything to the rice cereal, I like it with bacon and syrup or with apples, cinnamon and a bit of sugar. For dressings I usually stick with a small local company, all their dressings are gluten free so it's pretty idiot proof for me. As someone else already said, you'll soon find yourself an expert on reading labels. If you feel like you need a firm medical diagnosis you really should get the test done immediately.

Best of luck with your surgery, and with making it through until then. I had by gallbladder out in December and would never wish the pain leading up to that on anyone. With a little one on your hands be sure to have someone lined up to care for him for a while or at least lend a hand. My doctor restricted me to zero, zip, zilch, not even 5 pounds lifting for the first week, and not over 10-15 for another week after that. (So my first day out of the hospital, which was Christmas, I baked a pie. Not smart.) You'll be so sore you won't be able to sit up, let alone even think about picking up a baby. After that first week though I bounced back pretty quick, hopefully you do to.

• 3 weeks later...
GFinminneapolis Newbie

Rudi's regular bread has a pretty good texture, but it's waay to sweet - too much molasses, I think. Rudi's raisin cinammon bread, however, is out of this world good! You won't even believe how good it is.

Now as far as plain bread for toast, sandwiches, or grilled cheese, "Udi's whole grain, as opposed to their white sandwich bread, is by far the most delicious of all the strictly gluten-free breads. I'm speaking of "Udi's" here, not "Rudi's. Lightly toasted, it makes even better sandwiches than gluttoned bread, in my opinion. Anyhow, you can't go wrong with these two! :)

I completely agree, Udi's whole grain bread is very good and it has the least calories (70 per slice) that I could find. The slices are a bit small but oh well!

Archived