24 replies to this topic

#16 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Here's a link to my favorite gluten-free dessert recipe for your pastry chef pop. http://www.cooks.com...-238193,00.html

You can make that pie shell for lemon meringue too, or you can make shells for strawbeeries and whipped cream. Or then there's Pavlova. (Search it on the internet or on the forum.) Maybe you can sweet talk him. It's not all about giving up. There's the discovery of new really good things too. Nobody misses the crust when I make that chocolate pie.

If you want in depth instructions about meringue pie crust, shell or cookie making, there was an egg site that really went in depth. My computer's lagging and so am I, but I'm pretty sure your search engine will yield good results. Good luck with Dad...let us know how it goes.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Here's a link to my favorite gluten-free dessert recipe for your pastry chef pop. http://www.cooks.com...-238193,00.html

You can make that pie shell for lemon meringue too, or you can make shells for strawbeeries and whipped cream. Or then there's Pavlova. (Search it on the internet or on the forum.) Maybe you can sweet talk him. It's not all about giving up. There's the discovery of new really good things too. Nobody misses the crust when I make that chocolate pie.

If you want in depth instructions about meringue pie crust, shell or cookie making, there was an egg site that really went in depth. My computer's lagging and so am I, but I'm pretty sure your search engine will yield good results. Good luck with Dad...let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Now can you solve my pizza crust problem??
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#18 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Prickly, I'm frying my brain trying to remember if I told you about Chebes or not. It's really good, has flex (that's really important, you don't want cardboard crust. I have to do it again, plug Against the Grain Pizza. I swear I don't work for them,, I work another field (medical). I'm pretty stinking sensitive and I've never gotten "hit" from Against the Grain. But I do cook it 4-5 minutes longer than they instruct on the packaging and let it rest a bit before I slice it up. Against the Grain has a really good pizza that made me stop making my own crusts, but I have to drive 15-30 miles to get it. Their bagels are divine.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#19 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Yes, we've talked about Chebe and I like it but it still isn't what I'm looking for in a pizza crust.

Against the Grain probably is what I'm looking for. I've had their baguettes but the health food store doesn't carry their pizza crust, but maybe they'll order it for me.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#20 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Thanks!

Now can you solve my pizza crust problem??

We often use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free pizza crust mix. It's made the pizza lovers in my family very happy.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#21 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Back to the original post, I met a fellow celiac disease in the gluten-free aisle of a Health Food Store recently.

She was Italian and in her 60's. She told me when her doctor told her she couldn't have wheat anymore, she flipped out. She and her husband owned an Italian restaurant. She asked the Dr. what in the heck she was going to eat. Both of her children ended up with having it (got tested after she got the dx.) She said her son LOVES her lasagna, and can't tell the difference from when she made it with wheat pasta. She bye the way recommended Tinkyada brand pasta, which has been recommended by other forum members. I loved meeting her in person, we spent some time together reviewing products we had tried. I turned her on to a couple and she turned me on to a couple. (But she could do soy.)

Wish I'd asked her about deserts. We're happy with a piece of dark chocolate for dessert. I ocassionally buy dark chocolate or rum raisin ice cream, haven't had issues (Stonyfield, Haagandaz) Hope that helps, please let us know if Pops chooses the right path. I'm gonna go fix myself a bowl of Dark Chocolate Ice Cream and fresh sliced strawberries. If there's a better desert than that, I'd be amazed, with the possible exception of a gluten-free brownie wwith a scoop of rum raisin ice cream on top. I was served that desert in Paris, pre gluten-free btw. B)

#22 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

I keep working on my mum and I'm impressed how much has sunk in over the past 2 years.She's always eaten well, good whole foods, no junk. But she likes her home made bread and she likes crackers. And she's always had digestive issues, she was the one who made me think mine were normal because as kids we'd get a peppermint when we had stomach aches, like stomach aches were a normal to be expected post eating occurence and you had to keep something in your purse just in case.

But she's awesome at keeping things gluten free when I visit and so that cuts her down for a bit and it seems that she's keeping that up a bit between my visits, from what she's said she's eating significantly less gluten than she used to and feels better for it. I just can't get her to make the jump to entirely gluten free. Yet. Everytime she mentions a symptom I reply "gluten" and then describe another weirdass thing I noticed going gluten free or have read about here. Chip chip chip I'm getting there.

#23 FoodisLife12

FoodisLife12

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:04 AM

My kids have Celiac and I, (not my husband) am the genetic carrier. When I told my Mom she said, "I don't have to get tested do I?" Note: reading between the lines for her means "I'm in my 70's, so what's the point?"

I asked our pediatric GI "What is the point for my Mom?" and she said, "I've seen hunched over elderly folks sit straight up and have a long, healthier life being off gluten." Plus, my Mom sometimes has to run for the bathroom after eating misc. foods...

I'll be on my own crusade to have her get tested in the next month: you are not alone!

One approach for your Dad may be to win him over via his stomach! "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach" tactic. Make him or bring him something incredibly deliciously gluten-free. When he compliments you/it, just say, "Yeah, isn't it great? It's gluten free!" and then change the subject. Just keep doing that over and over. He'll finally say something like, "What, are you bringing me some of that gluten free stuff again?" And you smile and say, "Yep, don't you love it?!!! See, when you get tested and go gluten free, you'll be able to eat delicious things AND have even better health!"

Keep us posted!!!

I Couldn't agree more!

#24 slee11211

slee11211

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

Okay so I'm pretty sure he won't ever get tested.
But..could it be possible that he does have a fungus because celiac can also have Candida's? Just trying to get all my options even though there is really only the truth :(

From my understanding, absolutely. I was diagnosed only last year, but honestly, in my particular case, both my doc and I believe that Candida was my MAIN celiac symptom and complication (I was likely celiac my whole life, diagnosed at 45). I never had the typical GI symptoms, and I have dosed myself with sugar and carbs regularly my entire life (I was so elated that I was so skinny, yet could eat anything I wanted! ha, idiot.)

So, here's a suggestion. Since it's super clear that neither he nor his doctor will head in this direction, what if you pulled a quick one on him? Go get a big bottle of "Candex" and let him know that he takes 6 (2 hrs before food) in AM and another 6 at bedtime (2 hrs after any food)....tell him that you read a great article that this stuff can be a MIRACLE at dealing with itchy skin (it's a type of enzyme that breaks down the yeast cell walls and helps to kill it off without any "die off" symptoms). Just get it for him, tell him to try it for at least 2 weeks and see if he notices a difference. If he does, maybe at least this is a side route to getting him to unknowingly treat the Candida issue, even if he won't/can't address the Celiac issue. If it helps, he won't care what it is, he'll just take it. Don't even bring up Celiac again, just do it like it's a completely unrelated treatment for itchy skin.

Just a thought.

#25 wystearya

wystearya

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

I very much hope I can encourage my parents to at least speak with their doctors about this. As the more I read, the more I believe they could also be sensitive to gluten. My father has had both hemorrhoids and colon polyps, his mother died of colon cancer. My Mom is already developing arthritis and she has always been very moody.. Since I have confirmed my own sensitivity I just want them to be aware. I believe very much that they could have it to, especially my father, who also had to have triple bypass due to blocked arteries/high cholesterol.

I think my Dad will at least listen to me. Not sure about my Mom, but I will give it my best shot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: