7 replies to this topic

#1 1974girl

1974girl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

Today at the grocery, there were some great items that had the warning "manufactered on shared equipment that manufacters wheat". I have been told that is basically a cover-your-tail move in case of accidently exposure. I wonder if you guys go ahead and eat them or not. One was labeled gluten free with a tag on the shelf yet still had that warning! I went ahead and bought it but not sure if I should have. I know it can happen but is it COMMON that people react with just the shared equipment.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Not sure what other people do but our nutritionist told us to start with the least restrictions (No gluten ingredients) and see how that works. If we were still having problems, we would then move to the next level - no gluten ingredients and NOT processed on shared lines. After that, I'm not sure - maybe only whole foods and no processed foods at all? We are not there yet. But, after my son's 6 month blood test (no change) it was clear we needed to step it up. He doesn't get many symptoms so sometimes it is hard to tell if he is getting cross-contaminated. Stepping it up also means we don't eat out anymore (unless it is a gluten-free place) and we don't eat food prepared in other people's kitchens.

I guess you just need to see what works best for you. If you are just starting out, I would stay away from all that stuff for a while, then you can try adding things one at a time and see how you feel.

Cara

#3 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

I won't eat food off shared lines ever since I had a bad reaction to a food on shared lines with soya products.

spent too much of my young life sick and weak to take chances with food.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#4 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

Today at the grocery, there were some great items that had the warning "manufactered on shared equipment that manufacters wheat". I have been told that is basically a cover-your-tail move in case of accidently exposure. I wonder if you guys go ahead and eat them or not. One was labeled gluten free with a tag on the shelf yet still had that warning! I went ahead and bought it but not sure if I should have. I know it can happen but is it COMMON that people react with just the shared equipment.

When I see that something is produced on shared equipment I won't eat it. I'm even nervous about a shared facility, because I have no idea what is shared..or if it's likely to come in contact with the gluten-free stuff?
That's just me. I would call myself very sensitive though. I seem to react to things that some others can tolerate.

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

I avoid anything processed on shared equipment with wheat products.

It may be safe for some, but I choose not to try it. That's just me.

I was too sick for too long and trace gluten does me in for weeks.

With so many dedicated facilities, I find I have plenty of options.
:)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

I have always avoided anything made/packaged on shared equipment. I do not avoid things made in the same facility as, and have not yet been burned by it. It's rare that I buy a 'same facility' product, and it is usually something canned/jarred, adn from a brand I know is trustworthy.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

I avoid anything with a 'shared equipment" warning--have gotten sick every time I've decided something sounded good enough to try.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

My advice would also be to avoid it. Shared equipment means cross contamination.. It's the same as someone dropping a piece of bread in your food then taking it out. It's actually what I'm finding trouble with most. My husband keeps forgetting that cross contamination is a problem. He bought bresaola that was sliced on a shared slicer for other gluten-containing products. I barely slept that night and was irritated like crazy the day after.. We were baffled about my mood until my husband thought back and realized his mistake.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: