#1 Ninja

Ninja

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

Hi guys –

I'm still getting over being glutened while on vacation and then cc'd by 2 dogs I was pet-sitting for last week. One huge thing I noticed after going gluten-free was my appetite! Things finally seemed to satisfy my insatiable hunger... which was fantastic. Well, it came back and I feel just ravenous; I'm hungry now, but I ate part of an apple 15 min ago and a very decent sized dinner 3 hrs ago. I know it will probably take some time to regulate again (it didn't immediately resolve after going gluten-free)... but it's frustrating/confusing: do I follow the signals my body is giving me or no?? Anybody else get this after being glutened?? Have you found anything that helps?

Thank you,
~Laura

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

Hi guys –

I'm still getting over being glutened while on vacation and then cc'd by 2 dogs I was pet-sitting for last week. One huge thing I noticed after going gluten-free was my appetite! Things finally seemed to satisfy my insatiable hunger... which was fantastic. Well, it came back and I feel just ravenous; I'm hungry now, but I ate part of an apple 15 min ago and a very decent sized dinner 3 hrs ago. I know it will probably take some time to regulate again (it didn't immediately resolve after going gluten-free)... but it's frustrating/confusing: do I follow the signals my body is giving me or no?? Anybody else get this after being glutened?? Have you found anything that helps?

Thank you,
~Laura

Hi Aerial! I'm sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I'm in the same boat. I've been gluten free for four months or so and I'm still always hungry and overeating. If I dare do some speculation of my own, I would guess that this doesn't only have to do with gluten and healing.. It might have to do with our body's previous programming and what we made it used to getting.. which were foods we're not allowed to touch anymore. Deprivation could be causing a mental reaction.. so the body might think it's being starved, and as a result urges us to eat more of what we're eating now. Maybe this is a simple case of mental rebelling due to deprivation, or maybe it's just the glutenation's side effect. I don't really know ;-)
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#3 Cujy

Cujy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

Ive been gluten free since March, and where I hardly used to eat at all, now I eat constantly! I just can't stop. Gaining weight like crazy which I can afford a bit but not as fast as Im putting it on. Last night had a huge dinner of gluten-free chilli and then before I went to bed, two more bowls. Bad, but I was sooooooo hungry!!!!! I hope this stops soon too.

#4 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

I have bouts where I'm full but minutes later I'm starving... I find it is from being hypo thyroid. And others find it is from blood sugar levels...Have you checked those two things?

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

I can offer a few thoughts(FWIW) :)

Mamaw is right about hypothyroidism and blood sugar spikes and dips. If it is not your thyroid, it could just be you need to eat a balanced amount of proteins/carbs throughout the day. Eat MORE protein & less carbs in small amounts and if you do have a carb,(ex. crackers) make sure you eat protein(ex. nut butter or cheese) WITH IT. No carbs "alone".

Your body was starved from lack of nutrients due to malabsorption.

You are absorbing food now.

It wants fuel, so your appetite increases.

I gained nearly 30 lbs. since DX. :rolleyes:

I could afford some of the weight gain as I was pretty emaciated; the rest is just me enjoying food again after 3 years of never being able to keep any in. :blink:

Now, I have to watch it or I'll be too chubby. :lol:

It all balances out in time.

It's also carb-craving (post- glutening) and you need to focus more on fruits veggies, and lean protein.

You're going to balance out again. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

You're right; I used to be able to eat and eat and eat without gaining... eventually it would catch up but it would take close to 3000 calories a day for 2 months... and believe me I am not the tallest person in the world. :lol:

That's exactly it: carb craving! I've always had issues balancing my carb intake with protein, so that makes sense.

My TSH and Free T4 were normal so I don't think it's my thyroid.. I haven't paid much attention to my blood sugar though, except that I do have some symptoms of hypoglycemia.

I've always found that (pre-gluten-free) it didn't matter how MUCH I ate because I would always end up being hungry an hour later..

Thanks for the suggestions and empathy guys. I've got my fingers crossed for all of us and our insatiable appetites. :P

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

#7 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

Something to try if you eat and eat and still struggle to feel satiated is a bit (half a low gci bar, 1 serving or less of semi sweet chips) of glucose.

If I am swinging hypoglycemic, I can eat veggies, meats, nuts all day and still not be "right". If I eat just a touch of glucose it stops the hungries and stomach growling and empty feeling and anxiety and shakes.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#8 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Thanks prickly! I hadn't quite put it all together, but after considering the foods that seem to satisfy me, it makes total sense. Things like KIND bars.. Sometimes it feels like I could fit an entire cow in there... :blink:

The cravings are the worst – my body never seems to be able to balance sweet and salt. That was gone though before this past glutening. :angry:

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

#9 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Last week I did a 7 day gluten challenge and w/in 2 days I was ravenous. I'd wake up nauseated because I was so hungry. I had forgotten how hungry I was on gluten. It took 3 or 4 days of being gluten-free again to get that feeling to go away.
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

#10 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

I found I had to come up with food combinations that were especially filling. Like baked chicken thighs with sweet potato and green beans. It's the sweet potato that does it. When I first went gluten free, I was so tired and hungry that I ate rice pasta with meat sauce twice a day for three months. Potatos are very filling. You might try researching resistant starches, they take longer to digest so keep your tummy full longer.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#11 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Thank you for the suggestions! I think it's got to be part of the carb craving and my blood sugar because having a small amount of semi sweet chips last night really helped make things "right." It seems to stabilize for awhile and then swing low again. I wonder if this could have anything to do with hormones? About a month after I went gluten-free I got this distinct "feeling" that I didn't need or want to take the BCP's anymore. I haven't been in to see my doctor yet so I haven't gone off of them. Just a guess....?

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

#12 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

BCP's?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#13 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

Hormones can definitely affect food cravings :).

I assume bcp = birth control pills?

This is long and complicated, but I'll try to be brief.

Celiac isn't a stand-alone disease. It comes with lots of stuff and is just a piece of the puzzle. Your body is complex. Going gluten-free probably helps resolve lots of issues, but you still have other things going on and a glutening can start a chain reaction.

Lots of people here have common symptoms that are similar to yours. I have them. My ND is trying to fix my low hormones (progesterone and a bit of estrogen), cortisol, DHA....my thyroid is whacked and it will only recover as well as my adrenals allow it. Adrenals are not working correctly - havent for years. Damage from steroids (recent), and Celiac can be assumed, as well as years of Hashimotos (and that is assumed to be caused by Celiac). My liver is not optimal - Celiac and two tons of meds used to treat DH have probably taken a toll.

A suspected glutening in December set off an ai event/cascade in me that I'm just now getting over.

So, this whole gluten thing is complicated. It's that simple and that messy.

Yes, the glutening triggered something. It may go away again, then come back. It may be a symptom (the way your body copes with gluten) of a bigger issue or it may just take time for your body to deal with the gluten.

Personally, I think of going gluten-free like setting the reset button. And every glutening is like a mini reset.

If I hit a hypoglycemia "period" it is always preceded by a "hyper" period. I must be super-strict about eating in a schedule, and eat fiber, protein with every meal. Stage 1 is the event (binge or perhaps the glutening), stage 2 is hyper, stage 3 is hypo. Each stage lasts a week or more.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:09 AM

Celiac isn't a stand-alone disease. It comes with lots of stuff and is just a piece of the puzzle. Your body is complex. Going gluten-free probably helps resolve lots of issues, but you still have other things going on and a glutening can start a chain reaction.

So, this whole gluten thing is complicated. It's that simple and that messy.

Personally, I think of going gluten-free like setting the reset button. And every glutening is like a mini reset.

True, true, and very true. Your body is trying to "re-boot" itself.

It is my understanding that a glutening causes an inflammatory response that can take up to 3 months to resolve. (and from my experience, it seems longer <_< )

People who say "a little bit won't hurt" have no freakin idea what they are taking about.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#15 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Yes, I was referring to birth control pills. :)

I know that gluten is a huge part of the puzzle, but not the whole thing. It's like peeling an onion, or playing jenga (if you've played it). However, I never Really realized it. It may sound incredibly stupid, but I never quite internalized that the problem I was trying to solve was myself. :blink: Understanding that is both overwhelming and satisfying.

Sometimes it's just hard to know where to go first.

Thank you so much. :)

~Laura

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: