12 replies to this topic

#1 elbar

elbar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:35 PM

I have been diagnosed with DH and have been on a gluten-free diet for a month. I licked an envelope this morning by mistake and by 11:00 a.m., my stomach was protesting very vividly!

I didn't get diarrhea when eating gluten in the past, however, the itching was unbelievable. I'm wondering if having a small amount of gluten now, after being gluten-free for a month, could be causing this diarrhea.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

elbar63

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:35 PM

Well, it does for me.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

#3 carrielynn

carrielynn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:26 PM

I have been diagnosed with DH and have been on a gluten-free diet for a month.  I licked an envelope this morning by mistake and by 11:00 a.m., my stomach was protesting very vividly!

I didn't get diarrhea when eating gluten in the past, however, the itching was unbelievable.  I'm wondering if having a small amount of gluten now, after being gluten-free for a month, could be causing this diarrhea. 

Thanks in advance for your answers.

elbar63

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you itching subside after going gluten-free? My 5-year old son scratches like crazy -- everywhere. He's been gluten-free (to the best of our knowledge) for 7 weeks and he's still scratching constantly. I contacted the doctor and he said it could take months for his skin to heal. We keep hoping for a miracle with his skin here, but it hasn't happened. However, his mood and energy are a lot better, so we're grateful for that.

Carrie

#4 elbar

elbar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 05:07 AM

Did you itching subside after going gluten-free?  My 5-year old son scratches like crazy -- everywhere.  He's been gluten-free (to the best of our knowledge) for 7 weeks and he's still scratching constantly.  I contacted the doctor and he said it could take months for his skin to heal.  We keep hoping for a miracle with his skin here, but it hasn't happened.  However, his mood and energy are a lot better, so we're grateful for that.

Carrie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My itching stopped almost immediately after going gluten-free. I have read on these message boards that it can take quite a while, I guess I was just lucky to have such quick results. Hopefully his miracle will happen soon.

Elaine

#5 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:02 PM

Most of us with DH did not stop itching quickly. My outbreaks began to come further and further apart, but even small glutenings can mean weeks of itching and nasty looking skin. My daughter does not break out as quickly nor do hers last as long the longer she is gluten-free, but then she did not let hers go for more than 40 years without getting it diagnosed. At first, I did not have to get into gluten for an outbreak to occur. I began to wonder if the stuff just had to have lots of time to work its way out of my skin because it had been there so long.

Also, heat and lots of sunlight can trigger it even without a gluten incident. So can iodine so check your salt.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#6 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:16 PM

Also, heat and lots of sunlight can trigger it even without a gluten incident. So can iodine so check your salt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had radioactive iodine treatment for Graves Disease...the next day I got a weird blister on my face. At first I thought it was a pimple...it wasnt and it stayed for weeks. Ever since then I get them off and on. Sometimes they are symetrical (one on each cheek) or in very small clusters...sometimes its just one all by itself. They always come back pretty much in the exact same spots but they don't itch and dont look like a rash...just blisters that take forever to leave. I get the itchy rash on my arms but I'm not sure if its DH. What do you think? Could the iodine from the treatment have triggered it?
Rachel

#7 oakpoint9

oakpoint9

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:04 AM

I have been gluten-free since March 05, I find , even the smallest amount causes me to break out, usually in a place that is in the healing stage. I have been really careful, but every week or two, I get into something. It is usually when I eat away from home.
I hope that someday we will all have a wonder cream that will work on all stages of our rashes.

#8 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:56 PM

Yeah, mine keep breaking out in the same spots as well. They will scab over, heal, then break out again. We got cross contaminated at McD's yesterday and are breaking out again. I always know it is DH and not acne when it starts in my ears and hairline (not to mention that it starts to itch).
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#9 oakpoint9

oakpoint9

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:41 PM

DH on the ears is the pits! It is so hard to get ride of. Not as painful as other parts of the body, but just as itchy. Luckily, I do not have any GI problems.

#10 elbar

elbar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:06 PM

DH on the ears is the pits!  It is so hard to get ride of.  Not as painful as other parts of the body, but just as itchy.  Luckily, I do not have any GI problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was recently diagnosed with DH but had no digestive problems. If you are glutened, what happens - do you start itching? I've been glutened accidently a few times and I not only get the itching and blisters back but also GI problems. Does anyone else get that also?

Thanks for your responses.

elbar

#11 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:44 PM

I was recently diagnosed with DH but had no digestive problems.  If you are glutened, what happens - do you start itching?  I've been glutened accidently a few times and I not only get the itching and blisters back but also GI problems.  Does anyone else get that also?

Thanks for your responses.

elbar

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

#12 oakpoint9

oakpoint9

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:49 AM

I start to feel neddles under my skin 3-4 hours after I eat something with Gluten.
Then the itch will start shortly after that, even wakes me up at night.
Rash and itch lasts 2-3 days and then 2-3 days for the area to completly heal.
I am very careful with my diet, but I still get Gluten.

#13 Emilynlukesmom

Emilynlukesmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:39 PM

[quote name='Rachel--24' date='Sep 3 2005, 11:16 PM']
I had radioactive iodine treatment for Graves Disease...the next day I got a weird blister on my face. At first I thought it was a pimple...it wasnt and it stayed for weeks. Ever since then I get them off and on. Sometimes they are symetrical (one on each cheek) or in very small clusters...sometimes its just one all by itself. They always come back pretty much in the exact same spots but they don't itch and dont look like a rash...just blisters that take forever to leave. I get the itchy rash on my arms but I'm not sure if its DH. What do you think? Could the iodine from the treatment have triggered it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the same problem on my face. At first I thought it was acne, but it seeps like the blisters on my elbows. I put triamenacinalone on my face and it dries up, but won't go away. They keep coming back. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: