7 replies to this topic

#1 CeliacFashionista

CeliacFashionista

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Are there any gluten free superfood vitamins? Before I went gluten free/knew I had celiac I always did really well on superfood/greens supplements. The vitamins that showed the most improvement were Alive! wholefood energizer, Biochem's greens and whey, The Greatest vitamin in the world vitamin, and Primal Defense probiotics. I realize that all of these vitamins are out of the question now but I would really like to find a vitamin that is similar to these. I hear people say that the brand doesn't make a difference but I beg to differ because I noticed improvement with all of these vitamins that I haven't noticed in others. Please any suggestions!?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Why are they " out of the question now"? Do they contain wheat or barley?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 CeliacFashionista

CeliacFashionista

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

yes they all use barley and wheatgrass

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Are there any gluten free superfood vitamins? Before I went gluten free/knew I had celiac I always did really well on superfood/greens supplements. The vitamins that showed the most improvement were Alive! wholefood energizer, Biochem's greens and whey, The Greatest vitamin in the world vitamin, and Primal Defense probiotics. I realize that all of these vitamins are out of the question now but I would really like to find a vitamin that is similar to these. I hear people say that the brand doesn't make a difference but I beg to differ because I noticed improvement with all of these vitamins that I haven't noticed in others. Please any suggestions!?

I hate to say this & it's going to throw you for a curve but right now, going low sal, you need not to take the "natural or herbal" vitamins b/c of the sals.
I don't know about "super duper" but it has worked very well for me & that's Solgar brand 'Vitamins Only". Free of sugar, salt, starch, yeast, wheat, soy, gluten & dairy. No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#5 CeliacFashionista

CeliacFashionista

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

I hate to say this & it's going to throw you for a curve but right now, going low sal, you need not to take the "natural or herbal" vitamins b/c of the sals.
I don't know about "super duper" but it has worked very well for me & that's Solgar brand 'Vitamins Only". Free of sugar, salt, starch, yeast, wheat, soy, gluten & dairy. No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.

Yes I switched multivitamins.

#6 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Yes I switched multivitamins.

Good. I meant to say also that I called Solgar about those vitamins before I took them just to make sure they had no iodine & they don't.

It may very well be that after a couple months of low sals that you can begin adding back in things one at a time & see how you react. Some people find they can do certain sals but not others. Also, you don't want to stay low iodine for too long at a time. But you'll have to watch it for overdoing iodine --- such as seafood might cause a reaction b/c it's SO high iodine. You see?

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#7 CeliacFashionista

CeliacFashionista

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

Good. I meant to say also that I called Solgar about those vitamins before I took them just to make sure they had no iodine & they don't.

It may very well be that after a couple months of low sals that you can begin adding back in things one at a time & see how you react. Some people find they can do certain sals but not others. Also, you don't want to stay low iodine for too long at a time. But you'll have to watch it for overdoing iodine --- such as seafood might cause a reaction b/c it's SO high iodine. You see?

How long should I stay low iodine before I add back iodine foods?

#8 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

How long should I stay low iodine before I add back iodine foods?

People do it for the thyroid cancer treatment for a 2 week period. I wouldn't do it for certainly no more than 3 weeks max. & during the 3rd week I would be adding a little in. 4th week I would certainly make sure I was getting the min. recommended amt. per day which is 150 mcg. You can go above that. Google thyca.org & look at their cookbook --- I think it's pg. 11 that lists the foods high in iodine.
Then just kind of be aware of what you're eating that's high iodine right? If you have a reaction then back off some.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: