This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

2 Yr Old Dh?

Momma4

Momma4 Rookie

I'm not sure my link to these pictures will work, but I will try. My 10 yr old son is being tested for Celiac. He has all the classic signs. However, my 2 yr old has a rash that concerns me, after reading about DH. Does anyone have any thoughts if this looks like DH. It is extremely itchy, and he cries when he can't 'get to it' to itch it. He seems to get it on both sides of his body at the same time. If my link to the photos doesn't work, any advice on how to upload photos from an iPhone would be great.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

There's no reason it couldn't be.

Find a dermatologist that is knowledgeable about biopsying for DH and get one.

squirmingitch Veteran

Awwwwwwwww POOR BABY! Breaks my heart. It sure looks like a lot of my dh does at times. I echo Prickly --- find a derm who is knowledgeable about dh & the biopsy procedure & get it done. And if he's still eating gluten you can go to the GI doc of your 10 yr. old & get this little one tested too.

It's eerie how on his back the rash is bilateral. I have a lot of dh that does exactly that.

dani nero Community Regular

Aww poor baby :-( I hope it doesn't burn as well! Do you have any diagnosed celiacs in the family? Maybe you should test both children.

Momma4 Rookie

Thanks for your comments everyone. We don't have any diagnosed celiacs in the family, but lots of gastrointestinal issues and autoimmune disorders. I had always assumed that he just had eczema. It has always flared up and then subsided. But then a couple weeks ago when my 10 yr old was tested, I started doing research on celiac disease. What struck me was the symmetry of the rash. He also has some under his armpits on both sides. Today he told me his back hurts. He has been lactose intolerant since he was 12 months too.

I took him to his doctor today to show him the rash. I asked if it could be DH but he really didn't know much about it at all. He asked me to tell him about DH and then he said to wait until we get the results for my other son, and if he's positive then all 4 of my kids will be tested. So I guess the waiting game continues for now.

squirmingitch Veteran

Can you call his doctor & ask if you can use benzocaine 20% on him? It stops the itch --- really! It won't make the rash go away but it will give him relief. He can't touch it & then touch his eyes. It's the ingredient in Solarcaine, Bactine & Orajel & maybe a few other things. But I wouldn't use it unless his doc says it's okay. I'm not a doctor & that's a baby we're talking about so I would check first.

Otherwise, witch hazel helps to cool & stop the itch for a while. Moisturizing helps. I think too it helps to cut off the air to the rash so coat it with Vaseline & see what relief comes of that. If I have a single spot or a group close together I will put Vaseline or ointment on it & cover it with a band-aid --- it helps a lot but when it's widespread like in the photos it's pretty hard to cover the entire area with a bandage.

Ice packs help. NO hot baths. Use as cool of water as he can stand b/c heat just irritates it & it reddens & itches like the very devil.

GI issues & AI disorders in the family is a big clue.

Momma4 Rookie

I can ask his doctor about that. He gave me a cortisone cream to put on it. Will that help? We slather him with cream daily. Like I said, it comes and goes (but never really goes completely away). It just seems to be really bad lately. And he's always itching it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Most people with dh have said cortisone cream helps only minimally. I tried it & it did zilch for me. I tried everything under the sun & the things I listed were the only things that gave me any kind of relief at all. One thing you can do right now is to make sure that whatever you're using on him topically is gluten free. And that includes shampoos, soaps etc... powders --- everything. If it is dh then topical gluten can cause problems like eating gluten. NO oatmeal derived stuff either.

Call his doc tomorrow & ask about the benzocaine. And I will warn you that if he wants to prescribe oral steroids there is a big consequence to pay when he goes off them if it is dh. It will likely flare like you won't believe!

There are lists on this site for gluten free shampoos, lotions etc... Use the search box for the site.

Topical , oral, and injectable steroids will invalidate Celiac testing.

Twoxxmom Rookie

Topical , oral, and injectable steroids will invalidate Celiac testing.

How long do those take (oral steroids) to get out of your system? My derm. wants to prescribe Decadron for me.

Momma4 Rookie

Wow, there is so much to learn. I will research what ingredients are in all the products I use on him.

And Prickly, it would invalidate a skin biopsy, but not the blood test right? (I wouldn't do the oral or injectable steroids)

squirmingitch Veteran

Great point Prickly!

I have no idea if topicals would invalidate a biopsy or blood test, but I would assume it would.

I don't know for how long, I assume it would depend on dose and length of use. I'd guess a few months would be the guideline, since it supposed to help send ai into remission (similar to going gluten-free).

Think about it, they treat refractory Celiac with steroids.

Di2011 Enthusiast

I'm not sure my link to these pictures will work, but I will try. My 10 yr old son is being tested for Celiac. He has all the classic signs. However, my 2 yr old has a rash that concerns me, after reading about DH. Does anyone have any thoughts if this looks like DH. It is extremely itchy, and he cries when he can't 'get to it' to itch it. He seems to get it on both sides of his body at the same time. If my link to the photos doesn't work, any advice on how to upload photos from an iPhone would be great.

Hi Momma4,

I have / having head to toe DH the past 11 months. My son (9y/o) is having loads of itchy/scratchy that is calming with gluten-free diet.

The photos I have seen that you posted are very indicative of gluten intolerance. Read as much as you can about getting the tests done. There is a very high 'negative' result from tests for people who have DH.

Can you find a dermatologist in your area who has experience with DH?

Momma4 Rookie

When I showed the doctor the rash, he said he wanted to wait until we get results for my 10 yr old son. Its been a month and we are still waiting. He doesn't want me using anything but cortisone cream at this point. We don't have a dermatologist locally (she retired last year), so I will have to travel an hour and a half away to see one. That's ok though, as we will have to travel to the same location to se a pediatric GI anyway. He's still itching, but it seems to be lessening a bit.

dani nero Community Regular

When I showed the doctor the rash, he said he wanted to wait until we get results for my 10 yr old son. Its been a month and we are still waiting. He doesn't want me using anything but cortisone cream at this point. We don't have a dermatologist locally (she retired last year), so I will have to travel an hour and a half away to see one. That's ok though, as we will have to travel to the same location to se a pediatric GI anyway. He's still itching, but it seems to be lessening a bit.

I was prescribed with cortisone when I showed my DH to the doctor.. that was because my doc had no idea what the rash was, and didn't bother to do any testing. It did help temporarily but the blisters and the dry skin kept coming back.

Archived