43 replies to this topic

#16 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

I read an article today the microwaving your food causes toxins in the food. Have I just lost another tool I can't use? I have to microwave my leftover food everyday at work. Does this mean I will never heal my leaky gut. I just had to replace all of my teflon pans too. How am I going to warm up my food?? This thing is going to kill me!!

I'm sorry you are having so many problems and hope you feel better soon. There is definitely a huge adjustment for many when they start eating gluten-free.

That said, yes I do use my microwave and don't give it a second thought. I just refuse to be overly concerned about it. We really can make ourselves crazy worrying about every last thing.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Littllemel

Littllemel

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

I started the rotation diet last week and I am still having issues. I write everything down and I think I got cross contaminated from a teflon pan a few days ago,so I went out and bought another one. I got sick again. So I brought it back and got an anodized pan, I used it yesterday but I can't tell yet if I am going to get sicker because I am already sick from the other contamination. I know I am having issues with another food intolerance but I just can't put my finger on it. My IgG tests won't be back for another week or so. I already gave up soy/corn/gluten and dairy!! WTH!
Gluten Free since 3/2/2012
Dairy/Soy/Corn Free since 04/06/2012
Leaky Gut 5/2012
Candida 09/2012
Porphyrins in Urine 10/2012

#18 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

LM, I don't want to be a downer but you've been gluten-free such a short time so it's probably going to take a lot more time to feel significantly better. Personally I think our bodies can be pretty wonky at first and we can seem to react to most anything and everything. There are times I'm still trying to figure it out...and that's after two years gluten-free. Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#19 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

Not sure ifyou thinkthe teflon may be causing you to feel ill? But try pot & pans that are not coated non-stick pans. Stainless or ceramic.. may be a better choice. I use stainless made from surgical stainless....
Alos at present how many foods are you eating while doing the elimination diet? I understand that most only have maybe three, four foods for two weeks..and they are very bland foods...

Again I must say you need to give your healing more time..& stay away from everything except very clean ,simple , bland foods...drink plenty of pure water to help flush out toxins..

It will get better,I understand that is not much comfort at present...Rome was not built in a day either!

Do you take any digestive enzymes or probiotics?

hugs

#20 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

Hang in there! I too can tell you a list of horror stories with military medical. If you have the option to go off base, do so and if you have to get a referral, try. I have had to deal with the system for 20 years and while I am thankful we have the medical, you sometimes just do not get good medical attention....plain and simple.

I have been on a gluten-free diet for a year now and at first I felt I was giving up an awful lot. I really had a hard time giving up the gluten. I had to learn to look at what I could eat and not what I couldn't. Forget the non-diagnosis and do what your body needs to get healthy.

Had I waited for tests to be done and show I was celiac I would have been beyond sick. I was bad and no doc could figure it out and I had more tests run that I can even count. I was the one that went off gluten on my own and then the docs paid attention, really? I didn't stop bugging them with my symptoms either, I think they hated to see me walk in their door but little by little this whole puzzle started fitting pieces together and 7 months after I went gluten-free I was diagnosed with celiac.

I have had issues with kidney stones for 26 years and am all too familiar with kidney pain. Do make sure you are getting plenty of fluids. When I get an attack I pretty much go to a liquid diet to pass anything that is giving me issues. Another thing I would suggest to you, or anyone dealing with kidney pain, is to drink all bottled water as tap water has too much chlorine which irritates the kidneys.

If you are finding yourself having highly emotional days mixed with kidney pain, see a doc. When my system was a wreck before I started the diet, I was much as you have described in your original post. Bloodwork showed my calcium was too high, not from supplemts, I wasn't taking any. My system was a mess. Hig calcium feels like you read of women experiencing bad menopause symptoms. I wanted to hide, it was real bad. It is called hypercalcemia and I really hope this is not your case but if it is it needs to be identified and docs need to see if there is a reason behind it.

For me, as soon as I took gluten out of my diet my calcium went into normal range and all of tests connected to the high calcium turned out fine.

Feel free to contact me if you ahve any questions.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hey, I don't use my microwave either! Darn thing is broke :). But I would use it ifn' it twern't broke.

You are still adjusting to living gluten-free. That is not something that happens overnight for most people. It's a process, just like adjusting to anything is. Of course it would be easier if you felt well physically. That's where changing your diet can really help though. Avoiding the processed foods and sticking to whole foods is helpful. I am not suggesting no processed foods forever, but for a couple months until you get healed up some and get used to eating things that are healthy for you.

There are lots of changes going on in your gut as a result of going gluten-free. Probiotics and digestive enzymes are helpful. I am sure you have read that already. Part of it is just learning to be patient with your body as it heals.

I don't know if taking some time off work is an option, but it might be good to do that for a few days. Maybe a long weekend deal, take off Friday or a Monday? A little extra rest might help.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

If I'm going to reheat anything in the microwave I used glass or ceramic dishes..never plastic!
I use stainless steel pans, and have a couple of cast iron pans that I absolutely love. A well seasoned cast iron pan is just as good as..or beter than teflon. It adds a small amount of iron to your food too, instead of chemicals, like non-stick does.
The non-stick pans are never supposed to be heated to a high heat, like you might use in browning meats or frying potatoes, fish, etc. Cast iron does a fantastic job on those things. :D

Honstly..I gave up cast iron years ago because they were heavy and I thought a lot of maintenance. I learned I wasn't taking care of them properly. A well seasoned pan is just rinsed with warm water and scrubbed with a stiff plastic brush and that's it. I wipe them dry and rub a bit of oil on and it's good to go.

#23 Littllemel

Littllemel

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Today is another bad day. I got glutened 3 days in a row by CC and I discovered Old Bay and Pears are new intolerances for me. I have been grappling with C&D for the past week. My husband got mad about how strict my rotation diet is, he wanted to add spices to the chicken. He has been sharing dinners with me from the start but I guess its getting to him. At least he gets to eat what he wants at every other meal.
This is one of those days where I just want to throw in the towel and give up. I bet no one would even notice. I hate my life!!
Leaky Gut 5/2012
Candida 09/2012

#24 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Today is another bad day. I got glutened 3 days in a row by CC and I discovered Old Bay and Pears are new intolerances for me. I have been grappling with C&D for the past week. My husband got mad about how strict my rotation diet is, he wanted to add spices to the chicken. He has been sharing dinners with me from the start but I guess its getting to him. At least he gets to eat what he wants at every other meal.
This is one of those days where I just want to throw in the towel and give up. I bet no one would even notice. I hate my life!!

Oh sweetie don't give up! (((hugs))) When you get to the end of your rope..tie a knot and hang on!
My hubby is only here on the weekends and he crabs about some of the things I cook too. It's not forever..it's just until we heal enough to settle into a routine...with "safe" foods to eat?
This is what works for us...
Talk to your hubby when you've both calmed down. Ideally, not at meal time. Have a plan in place for if he objects to dinner. Maybe he can have a bowl of cereal..or go get takeout (but not bring it home)whatever? He can just say "I'm opting out tonight" (or whatever phrase you agree on) and there won't be any backlash.
I know we expect support..but it's very hard on us..and we have a good reason to eat so restricted. Can you imagine having to completely change your eating because the food bothers someone else? That's what we're asking them to do.
If you have a plan in place ahead of time, whatever that is, there won't be hurt feelings?
We tend to get extra emotional and sensitive when we don't feel good, or have been glutened. A few poorly chosen words can't be taken back..sort of like you can't unring a bell?
I hope you feel better..and figure out what's getting you so it will change.
It's SO hard to work all of this out!

#25 Littllemel

Littllemel

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:09 AM

I am trying not to give up but it is so hard. I was sick again last night!! So it was either the melon, peanuts or my smoothie,i am not sure which one though. Is there anything I can do for these aweful cramps! I can't take it anymore!!
Leaky Gut 5/2012
Candida 09/2012

#26 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:42 AM

Maybe at this point in time you should just do the testing for allergies to everything. I think it is about 200 items . You order the test online.. Today is a migraine day for me so I'm not remembering the name of it but I'm sure someone else will....

Also when my kitchen was a combined gluten-free & gluten kitchen I cooked for my gluten family (wear a mask) & gloves if need be)& made their meals & in a small pot or pan cooked my piece of meat without any spices...I cook for a large family too. There was never a problem.......For me, I didn't want to over whelm my hubby or kids , it was sooooo much easier to keep peace & cook in two separate vessels...they got to eat & I did too..

And as much as I hate to say this, we ourself can make ourselves ill by fretting & worrying so much about celiac or anything, this can lead to other bigger problems & snowball all because of worry...with that being said NO, I'm not saying you are not Ill....I'm sure you are as this has happens to many,almost like the body is rebelling.... You will find the sources of foods that do not agree with you.. The elimination diet can be a slow road... When I did it, I found an item by itself was okay but when I ate it & added another food with it , I got sick.. At that point I would eat one thing & then an hour later I wiould eat the other , it is more like grazing...After I figured all that out & started taking digestive enzymes to help break down proteins, fats& & probiotics I was able to get back to regular eating...
Hang in there.....

#27 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

I am trying not to give up but it is so hard. I was sick again last night!! So it was either the melon, peanuts or my smoothie,i am not sure which one though. Is there anything I can do for these aweful cramps! I can't take it anymore!!

I'd drop the peanuts. I found them hard to digest..and you don't want to make your digestive system struggle.
Are they dry roasted? Sometimes they add flavor enhancers to those and they don't agree with us as we're healing.
I took out all of the main allergens, then went from there. I figured if I have leaky gut (proteins are leaving the intestine and entering the bloodstream) the most likely cause of a reaction would be to those main proven "trouble foods"?
Gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, fish (such as bass cod, flounder).
I added back eggs pretty quickly because I found they didn't bother me, then shell fish..no problems..you get the idea? Remember though, if you've been glutened..you may react to just about anything because your system is irritated.

Getting cc 3 times is quite a lot. It can take weeks to recover. I don't know what the circumstances were...do you need some brain storming to figure out how to prevent that from happening?

For cramps..can you take Motrin? I avoided it, because it can irritate a sensitive tummy. You may tolerate it fine though. Some people really like Pepto Bismal for those digestive symptoms.

#28 Littllemel

Littllemel

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

I can't take motrin or NSAIDS. I went to a new GP today and she gave me Levsin but I am afraid to take it. Most meds give me dry mouth and sores amoung other side effects. She also said I might have a bladder infection because I have extra white cells in my urine but she is going to wait for the culture to come back before prescribing antibiotics. Now I am definitely scared to take those. What about my gut flora? Not to mention it has to be gluten/dairy/corn and soy free!!!
I think I have cried everyday for the past 2 months. Is this ever going to clear up? I am taking all nuts and eggs out of my rotation diet which takes a huge chunk out so Im really going to start losing weight now. I am so scared this disease is going to kill me in a long drawn out way.
I see my ND tomorrow and I think she has some kind of remedy she has made up based on all of my symptoms. I am feeling discouraged though. Almost like its some make believe fairy tale in a bottle that is suppose to help me. Nothing seems to help and I only get worse each day.

@bubbas mom, how quickly were you able to add back eggs? 1 week? 2 weeks? What other fish? Can I have talapia, tuna or salmon?
My cc issues were from a frying pan that was used with wheat but it has been dealt with. I had been using that pan off and on all month so I am sure it was more than 3 times and now my body is so overtaxed that I can't get it to calm down. I am down to 100lbs and falling!! I can't keep the weight on and it seems everyday I lose another food.
Leaky Gut 5/2012
Candida 09/2012

#29 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

I can't take motrin or NSAIDS. I went to a new GP today and she gave me Levsin but I am afraid to take it. Most meds give me dry mouth and sores amoung other side effects. She also said I might have a bladder infection because I have extra white cells in my urine but she is going to wait for the culture to come back before prescribing antibiotics. Now I am definitely scared to take those. What about my gut flora? Not to mention it has to be gluten/dairy/corn and soy free!!!
I think I have cried everyday for the past 2 months. Is this ever going to clear up? I am taking all nuts and eggs out of my rotation diet which takes a huge chunk out so Im really going to start losing weight now. I am so scared this disease is going to kill me in a long drawn out way.
I see my ND tomorrow and I think she has some kind of remedy she has made up based on all of my symptoms. I am feeling discouraged though. Almost like its some make believe fairy tale in a bottle that is suppose to help me. Nothing seems to help and I only get worse each day.

@bubbas mom, how quickly were you able to add back eggs? 1 week? 2 weeks? What other fish? Can I have talapia, tuna or salmon?
My cc issues were from a frying pan that was used with wheat but it has been dealt with. I had been using that pan off and on all month so I am sure it was more than 3 times and now my body is so overtaxed that I can't get it to calm down. I am down to 100lbs and falling!! I can't keep the weight on and it seems everyday I lose another food.

I added back eggs after one week off them. I did fine, except I tried Eggland's Best brand a couple of weeks later and reacted to them. I looked them up and the chickens are fed a diet with high amounts of soy. :o It came through to the egg. Stay away from those..or any you find locally that may be fed a high soy diet!

If you add the eggs back, wait a week and add the nuts. They're wonderful for adding in calories and healthy fat. I ate quite a lot of Sunflower seeds for a while.

Fish is listed as one of the main allergens. If you eat fish and it doesn't bother you, I say add it as soon as you can. The list just says fish, I gave examples. I think most fish is pretty much the same to your digestive system? Basically, you only want to add one food group a week so you know what you're reacting to..if you have a reaction. Hopefully, fish won't bother you. Be aware of what oils you use to cook it with though.

I looked up the Levsen. It looks like it calms cramping in the digestive tract and in the urinary tract? It might help you. If it isn't too expensive it might be worth a try?
http://www.rxlist.com/levsin-drug.htm I found a site that lists the ingredients. You could ask the pharmacist about them?

I completely understand how you're feeling about losing weight and reacting to foods. It's scary! I bottomed out at 103# and was sure I was dying..and Dr.s didn't seem to understand how urgently I needed help? I'm finally slowly gaining a bit. I had to go on steroids though. The one they use for Crohn's (Entocort) It's supposed to stay in the intestine, so isn't as harsh as something like Prednisone. I was put on this md by the Mayo clinic in Florida. If the Levsen doesn't help you..the Entocort is an option for you to mention to your Dr. BUT..first let's see if your reactions are just because of the cc? That could be enough to keep things inflamed. That should improve with time.

I understand your reluctance to take antibiotics. It does set the gut flora regulation back to square one. I've been fighting an earache and didn't go to the Dr. because I knew I'd get them. It's standard treatment. If the Dr, finds an active bacteria though, it would be wise to treat it. Your system isn't strong enough right now to fight it off on it's own. An infection might be a big part of your problem?

Let us know how your meeting with the ND goes? I hope she has a miracle! :D

#30 Littllemel

Littllemel

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

I am drinking bone broth made from chicken bones everyday. Should I be rotating this? Will I become intolerant to it?
Leaky Gut 5/2012
Candida 09/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: