Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts  

• Articles  ||  Forum Home  ||  Gluten-Free Mall  ||  Store  ||  Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

• Ads by Google:

• Announcements

• READ FIRST: Super Sensitive Celiacs Disclaimer   09/23/2015

This section of the forum is devoted to those who have responses to gluten beyond the experience of the majority of celiacs. It should not be construed as representative of the symptoms you are likely to encounter or precautions you need to take. Only those with extreme reactions need go to the lengths discussed here. Many people with newly diagnosed celiac disease have a condition known as leaky gut syndrome, which can lead to the development of sensitivity to other foods until the gut is healed - which may take as long as one to three years. At that time they are often able to reincorporate into their diet foods to which they have formerly been sensitive. Leaky gut syndrome leads many people to believe they are being exposed to gluten when they are in fact reacting to other foods.
      • Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease SymptomsWhat testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease ScreeningInterpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test ResultsCan I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful?The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-FreeIs celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic TestingIs there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and DisordersIs there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)Gluten-Free Alcoholic BeveragesDistilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free?Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free DietFree recipes: Gluten-Free RecipesWhere can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store.For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

Goose Fat And Duck Fat?

Started by carolynmay,

2 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Dear all,

I know this is probably ridiculous, but someone asked me the other day how I can be sure that duck fat and goose fat are safe given that the animals spend their lives surrounded by grain and are indeed probably covered in grain dust for most of the time, and presumably processing may not be awfully careful in terms of removing grain dust. I guess the same would apply to the skin of any poultry in fact.

I just wondered if anyone has ever suspected they have reacted to duck fat / goose fat (jarred) or whether we can regard it as entirely safe?

Thanks so much for any thoughts - and sorry if this sounds rather ridiculous!

Best wishes, Carolyn

Posted · Report post

Birds have feathers for reasons. To protect their skin from things, for one.

I really don't think there is anything in the USA that is 100% safe from any and all forms of grain dust/pollen, etc. But once a animal is killed and the outside is cleaned and all is removed from the inside, it's not like you're going to find partial wheat grains hiding in the meat. Animals don't work that way. They eat it, they digest what they can from it to make their bodies work, and they expel the rest. And as for veggies, once they are cleaned, you're not likely to find stray wheat grains among your tomatoes, etc.

Now, a jarred product may be suspect due to production rather than source materials. I cook ducks several times a year (and save that duck fat like the culinary gold that it is!) but my ducks are cooked in non-contaminated cookware and the fat is saved in non-contaminated jars. Never had a problem. But I am slowly becoming highly suspect of pretty much any pre-packaged, mass-produced product (especially from companies/plants that also process wheat in any form).