This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nowhere Left To Go But Insane

GlutenFreeRampage

Skylark Collaborator

Good point! Hyperthyroidism definitely causes irritation and sleeplessness. If it's longstanding it's more likely Graves' than Hashi's. Hashi's will make you swing between hyper- and hypo.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Hi Rampage,

I was just thinking of another thing that might be bothering you besides flowers, sunshine, and singing birds. :D Hyper thyroid symptoms could include anger and irritability and insomnia also. There is an autoimmune condition called Hashimoto's thyroiditis where the immune system attacks the thyroid. People with celiac get Hashi's sometimes. It can cause both hyper and hypo symptoms at different times. They test it by a blood draw and I think the test is for TPO antibodies. Anyhow, it might be something to have checked. I think you have to ask for the antibody tests though, or they might just test your hormone levels only. Hormone levels only won't detect Hashi's so make sure they do test for the antibodies. I don't think they test inside bubbles though, could be a problem there... :)

Oops, wait a minute, smilies don't piss you off do they? :(

Good thoughts, Gee Free Dee Cee!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Hi Rampage,

I was just thinking of another thing that might be bothering you besides flowers, sunshine, and singing birds. :D Hyper thyroid symptoms could include anger and irritability and insomnia also. There is an autoimmune condition called Hashimoto's thyroiditis where the immune system attacks the thyroid. People with celiac get Hashi's sometimes. It can cause both hyper and hypo symptoms at different times. They test it by a blood draw and I think the test is for TPO antibodies. Anyhow, it might be something to have checked. I think you have to ask for the antibody tests though, or they might just test your hormone levels only. Hormone levels only won't detect Hashi's so make sure they do test for the antibodies. I don't think they test inside bubbles though, could be a problem there... :)

Oops, wait a minute, smilies don't piss you off do they? :(

You made me giggle.

Before I was treating my Hashis I would have strangled you (but regretted it later) for that post.

Happily, now, I just giggle at myself.

And yes, it is a TPO Antibody test and you must ask for it - it isn't standard. Also ask for TSH and free t3/t4. Perhaps TRAb?

And yes, Hashis can make you a tad moody. You may also look into other hormones as well, as the combo of Celiac/Hashis really wreaks havoc on your hormones, adrenals.

GlutenFreeRampage Newbie

When I was typing out the list of supplements I take, I did notice how there was a lack of trace minerals and stuff like zinc, copper, etc. I used to take multi-vitamins that supplied it all, but stopped doing it because I couldn't find any without the cyanide-B12. I'll put it on my list to find something for my next order at Vitacost that will give me the right stuff... I'd been hoping to get the rest of what I needed from my regular habit of juicing. I suppose I do need more sublinguals to avoid GI malabsorption.

Gluten eating people (mainly their clothing) and their kitchens / dining rooms are indeed contaminated with gluten; and I've heard stories of super-sensitive celiacs reacting to simply walking into a place that regularly uses wheat/gluten. Bad advice to say otherwise that these people and places are not harmful. 100% free is extreme, unless it's still ok to breathe it in? Which doesn't make sense to me.

No more talk about beer, please... it's not a major concern for me, it was just one of the things I miss.... and it's one thing that I should avoid for other reasons... liver health... and stuff.

<<offensive material deleted by moderator>>

I have noticed that some medications or herbal remedies, taken orally, have had the opposite effects on me. I can't remember where I heard this, but the only medicine we need is really just healthy food. I still need work on my diet, but I believe that many ailments can be solved in the long run with diet alone. And for the ones that can't be helped with just healthy eating, then, I strongly believe that's where a "survival of the fittest" ideology comes into play... or to put it another way, it's all genetic and there's nothing much more that can be done except to make sure I don't reproduce offspring... If I'm genetically predisposed to get sick all the time, then I'm certainly not passing it on to an innocent child.

I'll see what I can do in respect to getting some more bloodwork done.

A therapist I once visited, for meditation/massage/accupressure/etc. said that she could tell my adrenal glands were always overworked and that it's like my body is stuck in a fight-or-flight response. She figured it might have started from an early childhood trauma I received, which was a correct assumption. It's funny how one physiological disorder can cause other problems to manifest. I feel so broken sometimes, yet from an outward appearance I usually seem to be fine and others are relentless at expecting way too much of me.

It never helps to be compared to someone else with similar, or worse, disorders and then be expected to feel/act/perform just as good or better. I'm not them. I don't share the same goals and aspirations. What I want to do with my life is not the same. Apples and oranges. But, yeah, my family says they understand then come back at me with hostility because I'm not meeting their expectations. It was their gamble to raise me, they lost, so no need to make me feel like the loser. I need to make my own way... somehow... some day.. and I'll have to do it without their consent or approval. I'm not a part of them, I'm way too different. Oh crap I'm rambling again, sorry!

Skylark Collaborator

When I was typing out the list of supplements I take, I did notice how there was a lack of trace minerals and stuff like zinc, copper, etc. I used to take multi-vitamins that supplied it all, but stopped doing it because I couldn't find any without the cyanide-B12. I'll put it on my list to find something for my next order at Vitacost that will give me the right stuff... I'd been hoping to get the rest of what I needed from my regular habit of juicing. I suppose I do need more sublinguals to avoid GI malabsorption.

No, what you need are chelates. Sublinguals are the latest way to extract money from gullible consumers. Very few things are actually absorbed sublingually. You pay extra, swallow the supplement, and absorb it through your digestive tract as usual.

There are quite a few products with chelated micronutrents. We've known for decades to give proteinates or amino acid chelates to farm animals because they don't absorb inorganic. For some reason the supplement industry has failed to carry this knowledge over to humans. Chelates are particularly important for getting minerals and trace elements into your brain. EMPowerplus has the chelates. QuietMinds and EvinceNaturals are supposed to be similar to EMPowerplus but I've never tried them. My psychiatrist friend has had some moderate success with Metagenics supplements but she says EMPowerplus is better.

You are overly concerned about cyanocobalamin. It is probably slightly inferior to methylcobalamin but it is NOT actively toxic the way you are imagining. If you have to take some to get the chelated trace elements, it's well worth the tradeoff. Cyanocobalamin will not make you irritable/insomniac. Lack of zinc and trace elements can.

Also don't overlook my mention of methylfolate. If this happens to be your problem you will fix it in a matter of weeks with one pill.

Ninja Contributor
A therapist I once visited, for meditation/massage/accupressure/etc. said that she could tell my adrenal glands were always overworked and that it's like my body is stuck in a fight-or-flight response. She figured it might have started from an early childhood trauma I received, which was a correct assumption.

I hate to mention yet another thing but.... this "fight-or-flight" response can be associated with unintegrated primitive reflexes; specifically, the Moro Reflex. This is the reflex that causes babies to abruptly open their arms if they sense they are being dropped/danger. It is a precursor to a much more complex danger/fear reflex that allows us to distinguish the danger (or not) before we react. Many times people whose Moro reflex has not been integrated feel as if they are in a constant state of panic (fight-or-flight). There are other symptoms including poor balance and/or coordination, poor stamina, frequent illness/weak immune system, prone to allergies, asthma and infections, digestion 'issues', difficulty adapting to change.. and it goes on. There are other reflexes that sometimes to not integrate or revert back but the Moro is very much related to feeling fight-or-flight. Hopefully this doesn't complicate matters too much. The good news is they are fairly easy to integrate... IF it is an issue. :)

I find it also helps to remember that gluten maybe dreadfully toxic to us, but perfectly fine for others. Sure, people are greatly affected by epigenetic's but ultimately, they're doing what works for them... which could mean that ingesting gluten does not affect them negatively.

GlutenFreeRampage Newbie
No, what you need are chelates. Sublinguals are the latest way to extract money from gullible consumers. Very few things are actually absorbed sublingually. You pay extra, swallow the supplement, and absorb it through your digestive tract as usual.

Hmm, from advice I'd gotten elsewhere they talked like sublingual was a bit better for me than the chelated kind, but that I should definitely try taking both kinds. What about isotonic supplements? I had a calcium/magnesium mix of that stuff... is just all hype as well? Either case, I'll try switching over to chelated stuff for a while. Thanks for reminding me of methylfolate again, I almost did overlook it.. oops.

I know that cyanocobalamin is not actively toxic - until the body breaks off that part of molecule into it's plain toxic form, then the body recognizes it as toxic, then must use energy to expell it. I know it's practically a negligible amount so *maybe* I could come to terms with voluntarily ingesting poison... for the greater good lol. Telling someone it's ok to take poison does seem a bit oxymoronic, especially for someone with GI disorder(s).

I hate to mention yet another thing but.... this "fight-or-flight" response can be associated with unintegrated primitive reflexes; specifically, the Moro Reflex. This is the reflex that causes babies to abruptly open their arms if they sense they are being dropped/danger. It is a precursor to a much more complex danger/fear reflex that allows us to distinguish the danger (or not) before we react.

Ahh so that's what that reflex is called! Maybe it only half integrated in me, I don't feel all too panicked all the time, but more like hypertensive or on edge... ready for action. It's why I instinctively always want to sit facing doors or windows because I've got to be ready for when THEY come to get us... "THEY who?" you might ask? Anyone out to do us harm; plenty of schizo-psycho people out there, wacked out on drugs; I've been around. And I've let my guard down before and learned my lesson. Not to mention, the motto "always be prepared" from my time in Scouts is permanently etched into my being. But you'll be glad to know that I no longer carry concealed weapons... I plan to 'Jackie Chan' my way out of any dangerous incidents in the future.

<<offensive material deleted by moderator>> I wish for them all to eat healthy, and if that means killing the wheat strain or outlawing it, so be it. Maybe in the distant future after peak oil has come and gone, and the world's population falls back down to it's normal baseline, some real changes could be made. Until then, we're refugees with no place to go.. Adapt and survive the best we can in a super toxic world. Good luck to all!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

A therapist I once visited, for meditation/massage/accupressure/etc. said that she could tell my adrenal glands were always overworked and that it's like my body is stuck in a fight-or-flight response. She figured it might have started from an early childhood trauma I received, which was a correct assumption. It's funny how one physiological disorder can cause other problems to manifest. I feel so broken sometimes, yet from an outward appearance I usually seem to be fine and others are relentless at expecting way too much of me.

Waitaminute. You are describing post-traumatic stress disorder. People can get PTSD from childhood trauma. It can cause insomnia, depression, mood swings, irritability, hypervigilance, and just about everything you've said you are experiencing.

Open Original Shared Link

PTSD is treatable, though a lot of therapists are ineffective at it. Cognitive-behavioral is the most common therapy and it usually fails. Emotional Freedom Technique is one really good way - it borrows from EMDR but it's better becasue of the acupressure. You can do EFT on yourself but my shrink friend has told me that usually with the childhood stuff you need someone who is experienced at regressing you. Open Original Shared Link Save it to your hard drive, as it may not be online forever. The founder of EFT has retired and greedy people have taken over who don't want EFT to be free.

Ninja Contributor
It's why I instinctively always want to sit facing doors or windows because I've got to be ready for when THEY come to get us...

This does sound a bit like PTSD... However, I definitely can relate to those feelings (the "bad" people out there). I try to tell myself that living in fear is agony and IF such a terrible thing were to happen to me, I would have wished I had enjoyed every moment of my 'previous' life before x event occurred.

I believe it's semantics; when I think toxin I think of something that is overtly and without a doubt, toxic to everyone (or the majority to avoid any exceptions out there). The majority of people might feel better off of gluten, but maybe not...? Isn't the goal (hopefully) for all, health? Being healthy is a fairly general idea/term, but the same things that make some better off may not work for others. It's so individual, IMO. Again, this is just my opinion. :)

psawyer Proficient

I have removed some offensive material from this topic, replacing it with the token:

<<offensive material deleted by moderator>>

The material in question was derogatory towards an identified ethic group, and thus in clear violation of our rules. Other appropriate action to address the violation has also been taken.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't feel all too panicked all the time, but more like hypertensive or on edge... ready for action. It's why I instinctively always want to sit facing doors or windows because I've got to be ready for when THEY come to get us... "THEY who?" you might ask? Anyone out to do us harm; plenty of schizo-psycho people out there, wacked out on drugs; I've been around. And I've let my guard down before and learned my lesson. Not to mention, the motto "always be prepared" from my time in Scouts is permanently etched into my being. But you'll be glad to know that I no longer carry concealed weapons... I plan to 'Jackie Chan' my way out of any dangerous incidents in the future.

This does sound like PTSD. I am a sufferer of this and it takes much more than one visit to a psychologist to overcome it enough to live a semi-normal life. Do try to find a good psychologist or psychiatrist and be aware that sometimes it takes a bit of time to find one you really click with. Glad to hear you no longer carry concealed weapons as PTSD can cause us to overreact to percieved threats. I do hope you can get some help but you have to be the one to choose to do so. I wish you the best and that you can soon overcome your problems.

GlutenFreeRampage Newbie

Until now, my posts were all approved by moderators before final submission because I'm a new member. THEY WERE ALL APPROVED!

I've been suddenly moderated for what was deemed offensive racial remarks, when I was clearly talking about dietary rules. I can't mention any specifics here, as per the board rules... can't say anything negative about anyone that supports toxic diets. Ironic, I think.

We are not allowed to raise awareness of certain toxic diets, and critique those diets? Or, discuss the rationality (irrationality) behind whomever created the diets? Even in a logical manner? I gave logical explanations, but those comments were also removed. And I can't offer a specific explanation now either. I'm keeping what I say within the guidelines here.

A toxic substance is toxic to anyone that eats it, no matter whom they might be or if it affects them or not. Gluten is toxic. Why can't we specifically point out which diets are wrong to have it?

THANK YOU so very much to everyone that offered me a more positive insight to how I should approach dealing with my problems, and all the dietary supplements I should try, bloodwork, etc... but my personal line has been crossed; If I can't critique, I can no longer comment. It's over. I won't bother to ask for any more help here.

This is my final post, but I'll leave for a week and then return next Sunday to ask the moderators to delete the entire thread, and close my account. Those who've followed it will, hopefully, understand what it was and why I am now personally offended. If I can't fully speak my mind about food, especially a specific diet that claims gluten is healthy, then this is definitely not the palce for me to seek help. It has become a toxic environment for me.

Now, maybe some of you can see why I get so angry. Thanks for sending me away more furious than I was before I came here to seek a little help.

Farewell.

Lisa Mentor

Until now, my posts were all approved by moderators before final submission because I'm a new member. THEY WERE ALL APPROVED!

I've been suddenly moderated for what was deemed offensive racial remarks, when I was clearly talking about dietary rules. I can't mention any specifics here, as per the board rules... can't say anything negative about anyone that supports toxic diets. Ironic, I think.

We are not allowed to raise awareness of certain toxic diets, and critique those diets? Or, discuss the rationality (irrationality) behind whomever created the diets? Even in a logical manner? I gave logical explanations, but those comments were also removed. And I can't offer a specific explanation now either. I'm keeping what I say within the guidelines here.

A toxic substance is toxic to anyone that eats it, no matter whom they might be or if it affects them or not. Gluten is toxic. Why can't we specifically point out which diets are wrong to have it?

THANK YOU so very much to everyone that offered me a more positive insight to how I should approach dealing with my problems, and all the dietary supplements I should try, bloodwork, etc... but my personal line has been crossed; If I can't critique, I can no longer comment. It's over. I won't bother to ask for any more help here.

This is my final post, but I'll leave for a week and then return next Sunday to ask the moderators to delete the entire thread, and close my account. Those who've followed it will, hopefully, understand what it was and why I am now personally offended. If I can't fully speak my mind about food, especially a specific diet that claims gluten is healthy, then this is definitely not the palce for me to seek help. It has become a toxic environment for me.

Now, maybe some of you can see why I get so angry. Thanks for sending me away more furious than I was before I came here to seek a little help.

Farewell.

There is not one of us here that has not had some pretty rough times. AND you have had some great suggestions, that might be helpful to you. I hope you will take them into some consideration.

Instead of critiquing other diets, see if the suggestions you have been offered will work for you. That's a big job in itself. :D Start with your world, your daily world. No need to be concerned with other diets until you have mastered yours.

Spend your great energy on healing yourself, get strong and THEN you can tackle the world, one person at a time. B)

You can do it, but you have to learn to redirect your frustration and anger into something productive.

It's a good life out there...choose it! ;)

Oscar Apprentice
I'll leave for a week and then return next Sunday to ask the moderators to delete the entire thread, and close my account.

Good luck with that.

The dietary rules you questioned do not require anyone to eat wheat, or any other gluten source. It is a set of rules listing permitted and prohibited foods. Gluten may be eaten--or not--it is the individual's personal choice.

Archived