5 replies to this topic

#1 kevbogreen

kevbogreen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:36 PM

Hi...my name is Kevin im 16 and i live in Arkansas...i just found out that i have celiac diease...and i was j/w if it was hard to cope with or easy to mannage? I would apprecate ur responses...

Kevin

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:05 PM

Hi Kevin,
I'm new to all this as well. Just wanted to say welcome and I'm sure you'll find some good information and support here. It's been pretty overwhelming the last week for me, but I'm doing ok and finding there are lots of gluten-free products to try, and of course the naturally gluten-free food as well! So far I'm not starving!
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:38 PM

Hi...my name is Kevin im 16 and i live in Arkansas...i just found out that i have celiac diease...and i was j/w if it was hard to cope with or easy to mannage? I would apprecate ur responses...

Kevin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the board. I'm sorry you need to be here, but glad you found us.

As for how hard celiac disease is to cope with, it pretty much depends on how well you cope with the diet. And that varies widely. If it means that you have to greatly change your eating habits, and you also are very uncomfortable being "different" from the crowd, it'll be harder than if neither of those is true. But it's a learning curve, and it'll take some time to learn and adjust to the diet.

Are your parents supportive of the diet and will be helping you keep the kitchen/food safe?
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:20 AM

Welcome to the board.It is very easy to manage as long as you are 100% gluten free...if you stay gluten free you are good to go. You have to be extremely careful. It may seem a bit overwhelming at first because gluten is hidden under so much but then you'll see how much we can still have and good substitutes for the stuff we now can't have. If you need any info or someone to talk you can contact me anytime. I am 18 and I was diagnosed when I was 16 too.
It can be hard, especially at first, when people make comments about it...some people do not understand it.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#5 kevbogreen

kevbogreen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 01:39 PM

yea my parents have been supportive so far...but its only been about a week since i found out...so i dont know how far they will go...thanks for eveyones responses...

Kevin Green

#6 Cindy Chabot

Cindy Chabot

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:26 PM

Hi Kevin
I have been recently diagnosed along with my 16 year old son. There are a lot of gluten-free choices available which help to make dealing with this disease easier. The hard part is going to restaurants or just out with people, you have to be careful not to be glutened. I have found this forum an excellent place to find out information. My son is finding the diet not to bad to deal with. I hope you find some gluten-free food that you like.
Cindy

Positive biopsy
gluten-free since August 4, 2005
Son - positive biopsy
gluten-free since August 4, 2005

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: