21 replies to this topic

#16 robertwilburn35

robertwilburn35

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

and cyberprof has some really good points about gluten and sources too. I find the more rigid I am the better I feel.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 RonSchon

RonSchon

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

I'm rigid, and will forever be now, but my damage was pretty severe - so while also being about 3 weeks clean I feel incredibly improved, but still am having the weeding out of things that should be gluten-free but actually aren't - such as my powerade snafu's.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to do another longer run.

Perspective is everything.... Now a 5 miler is a long run, a month ago a 5 miler wasn't even a dream i was having. A mile walk was body wrecking. lol.

#18 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

Okay, you may not believe my answer on this, but it's been proven to my satisfaction that taking a certain ratio of Omega 6's to Omega 3's will oxygenate the cells of the body. After reading, "The Hidden Story of Cancer," which is about cellular oxygenation, I came to understand how important it is to proper muscle function to take a daily ratio of Omega 6's and 3's. If I hadn't tried it myself, I wouldn't have become such a believer; however, the difference is like night and day. Until two years ago, I was a lifelong runner; however, I always experienced muscle weakness and difficulty recovering from running and exercise. I simply thought I was one of those persons who just had muscles that needed longer time to recover. Wrong! Because of celiac, my cells were starved for oxygen. As long as I take the proper ratio of Omega 6's to 3's, I NEVER experience muscle weakness or any kind of recovery time. Painful muscles after a workout? NEVER! I feel not even the slightest muscle exhaustion or soreness after intensive exercise. If you want to buy the book, it'll explain the concept, but if you'd just like to know how to get the proper ratio, here's the formula: Mix 1/2 teaspoon of organic flaxseed oil and 3/4 teaspoon of safflower (or grapeseed) oil into a smoothie or heavy juice. That's it! You can take this mixture once or twice a day. I've taken it every day for more than five years, and if I know I'm about to have a big workout, I take some more. It actually helps you work out harder with little effort, and it helps you exercise more easily in high temperatures. After taking this ratio of Omegas daily for a while, you'll find that you also don't get sunburns (really--I've tested this in Australia, and I didn't even get a little pink while outdoors all day). It also makes your skin very soft...and at the age of 50, I started getting asked for my ID when buying wine. Weird...but true.

#19 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

Because of how many years my body has not been able to absorb nutrients, my world view of them became "placebo's"

I will go out tonight, and find these products.

A couple questions... I don't do smoothies.... Can I take them in another form?

Is safflower/grapeseed and faxseed oil universally the same potency?

Can I take tablets at the ratio you have listed?

I can't wait to be able to experience benefits that so many people take for granted.

Once again, thanks for the information L, you are proving to be my guardian angel!

#20 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

Ron,

Unfortunately, there are no capsules or pills that contain the correct ratio (unless you go to a specific website where the products are available based on this book's recommendations--and, trust me, they're expensive since they're the only game in town). It's just as easy to mix the ratio yourself, and the cost of the oils is minimal. Since you don't do smoothies, a thick juice will suffice. I've just found that thin juices cause the oils to sit on top (yuck!), so you can taste/feel the oil. In a smoothie (or just juice whipped with some yogurt or a banana), the oil gets mixed in so that you can't even detect it.

I prefer safflower oil over grapeseed oil because it has less of a taste, but I listed the grapeseed oil because it contains more or less the same amount of Omega 6s and 3s as safflower oil. If you find that the mixture helps you, you might consider reading the book to learn why these oils are able to oxygenate your cells and allow you to exercise without lactic acid buildup in your muscles. I spent a lifetime in pain until I read about this solution, and I will be forever grateful.

#21 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:14 AM

Rosetapper...

I'm very interested in trying this omega ratio... Where do I find these oils?

#22 Celiac Ninja

Celiac Ninja

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

Hello! I am 28 and newly Celiac as of January, so I have been Gluten-Free and lactose free for almost three months. I have been iron deficient for over 10 years. I haven't felt 100% yet but definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel some days. One issue I wanted to bring up is muscle fatigue during exercise.

I was a college tennis player and would cramp up almost every match, no matter how much I trained/stretched, how many bananas I ate or hydrating drinks I drank prior to the match. I started training for my first half marathon in january and just finished a 10 mile race for training purposes. Every time I push myself hard for a run or if the run is longer than 6 miles, I would be completely out of commission the rest of the day. I slept the whole rest of the day after the 10 mile race last weekend and still felt 'off' the next day. Primary symptoms: muscle fatigue, dehydrated, tight muscles and just overall tired. I am very active, play on a tennis league and volleyball league during the week on top of working full time and running or walking after work prior to my leagues. I don't always react as extreme as noted above but I definitely do not feel as in shape as I should be with all of my exercising.

My vitamins and minerals all came back WNL. I take Juice Plus, B12 supplement and benefiber daily on top of a well-balanced diet. Wondering if anyone else has any of my same concerns and issues and if you have a solution. Also, any thoughts on malabsorption? Please let me know if I am not making sense, I may not be expressing my questions well. I have many... Thanks for reading!

malabsorption and you may need a ton more magnesium and calcium and vit D than udusl dur to previous glutn damage and malabsorption. I had to increase that for bad episodes just to make through the day (post chrmo/radiation) and during pregnancy (had gluten episoders then too..mild though) but I wasn't athleticaly active. Depends on how much your taking now and where your body is at in recovery. This is primarily based on my experience and communication with a natural path about suppliment uptake and some research I did on Magnesium/calcium/vitamin D. Water intake should be enough that you pee clear since your so active, you need to get lactic acid out of your muscle or you will feel like you've got a crumby day to come (flu like symptoms in the mjuscles). Im also a licensed massage therapist for over 6 years, so I gotta push the water increase ;) Hope you can find a solution and enjoy your activities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: