Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anaheim / Disneyland Gluten Free Restaurants / Products?

• Please log in to reply

24 replies to this topic

#1 amber

amber

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hello,

We will be visting the US from Australia in September. Our first stop is Anaheim where we will be visiting Disneyland. I am aware there are many options for gluten free eating within the park though recommendations would be appreciated.

Can anyone suggest what restaurants there are outside the park which understand gluten free and perhaps have a gluten free menu. I am aware of PF Changs which we plan to visit. Also is there anywhere at all to purchase gluten free foods within walking distance of Disneyland. We won't have a car when we are there. If there are no supermarkets or heatlh food stores nearby do you think they would deliver to our hotel? We will probably stay somewhere with a kitchen so we can at least cook breakfast in the room.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

When I visited Disneyland four years ago, I wanted to stay and live there permanently. It was like living in a gluten-free city--it was wonderful! When you arrive, simply walk up to the information booth and request the gluten-free food list. Almost every single restaurant offers gluten-free meals (pasta, pizza, hamburger buns--you name it!). I have never felt safer! Their staff is extremely well educated, and when you order a gluten-free meal, the head chef will appear at your table to discuss your needs very thoroughly. Even at the ice cream parlors, I was treated in a very special manner--they used clean scoopers and opened new vats of the ice cream flavors I'd chosen.

However, as far as gluten-free food at the nearby restaurants, I don't really know what to say. I live in California, but in the Northern part....and when I stayed in Anaheim near Disneyland, I ate all of my meals at the park. Hopefully, someone lives in Anaheim and will be able to answer your questions about restaurants and markets nearby.

By the way, I've been to Australia twice (my daughter lives there), and I'm very, very impressed with the way your country handles the whole gluten-free issue. A recent private poll that was taken on this forum indicated that many people agree that Australia is the best country to visit when it comes to eating gluten free. Truthfully, I wish I could emigrate there....but, alas, because I have a history of recurrent breast cancer, I could never pass the health exam to become a permanent resident. However, I plan to visit often! You're so very fortunate to live in such a wonderful country!

#3 amber

amber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

When I visited Disneyland four years ago, I wanted to stay and live there permanently. It was like living in a gluten-free city--it was wonderful! When you arrive, simply walk up to the information booth and request the gluten-free food list. Almost every single restaurant offers gluten-free meals (pasta, pizza, hamburger buns--you name it!). I have never felt safer! Their staff is extremely well educated, and when you order a gluten-free meal, the head chef will appear at your table to discuss your needs very thoroughly. Even at the ice cream parlors, I was treated in a very special manner--they used clean scoopers and opened new vats of the ice cream flavors I'd chosen.

However, as far as gluten-free food at the nearby restaurants, I don't really know what to say. I live in California, but in the Northern part....and when I stayed in Anaheim near Disneyland, I ate all of my meals at the park. Hopefully, someone lives in Anaheim and will be able to answer your questions about restaurants and markets nearby.

By the way, I've been to Australia twice (my daughter lives there), and I'm very, very impressed with the way your country handles the whole gluten-free issue. A recent private poll that was taken on this forum indicated that many people agree that Australia is the best country to visit when it comes to eating gluten free. Truthfully, I wish I could emigrate there....but, alas, because I have a history of recurrent breast cancer, I could never pass the health exam to become a permanent resident. However, I plan to visit often! You're so very fortunate to live in such a wonderful country!

Thank you so much for your reply and for the nice things you said about my country :) It will be our first visit to the US though my husband and I went to Hawaii for our honeymooon 20 years ago. It sounds like Disneyland will be a wonderful gluten free experience from what you have described. It is my 15 year old daughter who is the celiac and she will be loving it I am sure. It is great to be able to go somewhere and not have to stress about food and whether people understand what gluten actually is. Well done to Disneyland! We are also going to New York which apparently is very good for gluten free then on a cruise on Royal Caribbean. We are really looking forward to it. Where does you daughter live in Australia? Thanks again :) :)

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

I was just in the Florida Disney World and the accommodations for gluten-free were spectacular. I haven't been to Disneyland in the past few years but it was pretty good five or six years ago and it's probably better now. Be sure to write and get the most recent gluten-free list.

One really neat place is the Blue Bayou restaurant inside the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. You have to make reservations or the wait is really unpleasant. http://disneyland.di...you-restaurant/

I always drive up to Disneyland for the day so I eat in the park. I find it easier eating in Disney than in nearby restaurants. They have a better understanding of CC and can do really neat stuff if you make reservations in advance and talk to the chef.

Google Maps is showing a supermarket called Food4Less at 1616 W. Katella. It depends on where your hotel is as to whether it's a reasonable walk, but it certainly wouldn't be too expensive to take a cab there from anywhere near Disney. They may not have much as far as specialty gluten-free foods but you'll be able to get produce, yogurt, nuts, and so forth.

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:17 AM

We were ther 3 years ago. There are groceries and " quick" shops around. You can get yogurt, milk, chips and nuts at the 7/11 or Quick Trip. You might ask the hotel you are staying at about local grocery stores. I think there is a Whole Foods not too far. Some hotels have shuttles that will take you places. There is a sort of bus line ( trolley) that goes around, too. Ask your hotel.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 amber

amber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:21 AM

We were ther 3 years ago. There are groceries and " quick" shops around. You can get yogurt, milk, chips and nuts at the 7/11 or Quick Trip. You might ask the hotel you are staying at about local grocery stores. I think there is a Whole Foods not too far. Some hotels have shuttles that will take you places. There is a sort of bus line ( trolley) that goes around, too. Ask your hotel.

Thanks Karen :) I think we will bring some cereal from home just in case we can't find any. I have heard about wholefoods but I don't think it is walking distance. I will get a cab if its not too far.

#7 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:25 AM

Definitely call your hotel and ask about transportation to a grocery store as well as a fridge in your room. SoCal is not generally walking- friendly and the area around Disney is a veritable zoo.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:29 AM

The area around Disney is full of people walking. Some of it depends on which side of the park you stay at. It's so big. If you stay at one of the parks hotels, I have heard they have gluten-free pancakes, etc if you ask ahead.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

The area around Disney is full of people walking. Some of it depends on which side of the park you stay at. It's so big. If you stay at one of the parks hotels, I have heard they have gluten-free pancakes, etc if you ask ahead.

But if you try to leave the park area and go to a store, etc. it is not. Unless they've built a store in the immediate zone it won't be easy or pleasant.

Sorry, lived SoCal too long to be optimistic.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#10 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

We were there in December. My kids went crazy for the giant turkey legs. One of those around 11 and those kids were good to go until 7-8pm!! Lots of little stands with fruit, chips, giant pickles, snacks, etc... Plus all the restaurants. It was a great experience! (well food-wise.... :rolleyes: )

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#11 amber

amber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

We were there in December. My kids went crazy for the giant turkey legs. One of those around 11 and those kids were good to go until 7-8pm!! Lots of little stands with fruit, chips, giant pickles, snacks, etc... Plus all the restaurants. It was a great experience! (well food-wise.... :rolleyes: )

Those turkey legs sound like something out of the Flinstones :D Well it sounds like my daughter will definately not be starving. THanks!

#12 amber

amber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

Definitely call your hotel and ask about transportation to a grocery store as well as a fridge in your room. SoCal is not generally walking- friendly and the area around Disney is a veritable zoo.

When you say it is not walking friendly what do you mean? I have heard that Californians generally don't walk and if you were to go for a walk in your suburb people would look at you strangely or even suspiciously. Is that true? Friends of ours lived in Florida for 6 months and they said that nobody walked anywhere where they lived and that the kids didn't even walk to school. They didn't know why that's just the way it was.

#13 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

No, it's not true that Californians don't walk or view people on foot suspiciously. :lol: Things are pretty spread out in SoCal though, so we tend to jump in our cars out of habit. The terrain is also hilly. I could walk to my local grocery store but the steep uphill slog home with my groceries wouldn't be any fun so I tend to hop in the car.

There are usually a lot of people on foot right around Disney because it's also where the Anaheim Convention Center is. I've never been uncomfortable walking in that area of Anaheim and you will find a lot of restaurants and hotels clumped right around Disney. As I mentioned, there looks to be a Food4Less on Katella that may be convenient depending on where you're staying.

#14 amber

amber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

No, it's not true that Californians don't walk or view people on foot suspiciously. :lol: Things are pretty spread out in SoCal though, so we tend to jump in our cars out of habit. The terrain is also hilly. I could walk to my local grocery store but the steep uphill slog home with my groceries wouldn't be any fun so I tend to hop in the car.

There are usually a lot of people on foot right around Disney because it's also where the Anaheim Convention Center is. I've never been uncomfortable walking in that area of Anaheim and you will find a lot of restaurants and hotels clumped right around Disney. As I mentioned, there looks to be a Food4Less on Katella that may be convenient depending on where you're staying.

I thought it might have been a bit of an exaggeration. :rolleyes: Mind you these people lived in a wealthy gated community so it probably was true there. I am pretty lazy myself when it comes to walking and tend to get in the car when I could actually walk. I am not at all concerned about walking in Anaheim but was wondering why it was considered not walking friendly. Thanks, I will check out the Food4less.

#15 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

I thought it might have been a bit of an exaggeration. :rolleyes: Mind you these people lived in a wealthy gated community so it probably was true there. I am pretty lazy myself when it comes to walking and tend to get in the car when I could actually walk. I am not at all concerned about walking in Anaheim but was wondering why it was considered not walking friendly. Thanks, I will check out the Food4less.

What Skylark said....generally stuff is spread out. So, unless you know you can get what you need within a few blocks don't bet on walking it. Just call the hotel and ask, and request a fridge in your room so you can keep stuff cold.

I don't think there's a public transport system there that will get you where you need to go (grocery stores) in a timely manner. You can always can it, though. You may be surprised at what the hotel can do for you if you ask - transport, shopping for you, etc. they could probably tell you if the Food4Less has the types of food you're looking for. I've found grocery stores in tourist areas tend to be different than grocery stores out of the zone, that's why I'd ask someone who has been in that store.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: