19 replies to this topic

#16 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Is there anything available in the US that is worth taking? On a related (maybe) note, my husband (the celiac) seems to get minor illnesses (cold, cough)more often than the rest of the family. He takes some supplements, (multi-vitamin, extra vitamin C, fish oil) I wonder if some enzyme supplement would enhance his ability to fight off these illnesses?

I have not seen anything in the US that I would bother to purchase for mitigating trace gluten CC.

There are some very nice general digestive enzyme supplements. I use Source Naturals Essential Enzymes when I eat a heavy or rich meal. I've seen Enzymedica Digest Gold mentioned a lot.

Also your husband needs to get his thyroid checked. A lot of celiacs have thyroid problems and one of the signs of hypothyroidism is suppressed immunity.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Michelle1234

Michelle1234

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

I have seen digestive enzymes mentioned as a possible treatment for gluten side effects. I went to the er last night and the doctor there had never heard of them. What are they? Do they help? Do you have to take them with probiotics? Are they safe for advance celiac?

I've had really good luck taking GlutenEase when eating out. I went from getting cross contamination effects almost all the time to almost never. I had gotten to where I never wanted to eat out but once I started taking GlutenEase with any meal that I thought might have cross contamination I got so confident that I took a cruise around the world and had very few instances of glutening (that was back in 2009).

About 4 mths ago I started taking Digest Spectrum also as I was tested by my Dr. when I developed a broad spectrum of food intolerances (egg, cow dairy, goat dairy, beef, lamb, almonds, peanuts, green beans, cucumber, asparagus, red grapes etc) and was found to have no digestive enzymes of my own in my stomach. He put me on a 3 mth coarse of supplements tailored to the findings in my digestive profile so I am now thankfully through that episode and am again fine with all those foods. I've so far kept up the Digest Spectrum because it helps with all types of foods in addition to my probiotics to try and keep myself from getting that bad again. About two weeks ago I started taking a new supplement called Dr. Wises Gluten Relief and that seems to have really straightened out my digestive track. Now that is something else! My bowel movements are on-time and completely normal with no emergency runs to the bathroom. This is also about a 3 month course. I'm still taking the GlutenEase for any meal out of the house and the Digest Spectrum with every meal. No chest pains, no stomach pains, no emergency runs to the bathroom. I'm a happy camper. About 4 mths ago I could eat nothing with out a reaction. I've been gluten free for 5 years but somehow my body developed all these new food intolerances. Thankfully I've got a good Dr. who got me over that hump but most Drs are clueless. You have to really search around for one that will understand what is going on and help you.

#18 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

I've had really good luck taking GlutenEase when eating out. I went from getting cross contamination effects almost all the time to almost never. I had gotten to where I never wanted to eat out but once I started taking GlutenEase with any meal that I thought might have cross contamination I got so confident that I took a cruise around the world and had very few instances of glutening (that was back in 2009).

So it helped but you still got CC'd on occasion? I'm just trying to understand what the GlutenEase limitations are. I hope your cruise was fun!

Dr Wise's stuff is homeopathic, right?

#19 Michelle1234

Michelle1234

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

So it helped but you still got CC'd on occasion? I'm just trying to understand what the GlutenEase limitations are. I hope your cruise was fun!

Dr Wise's stuff is homeopathic, right?

Hi Skylark,

Yes on occasion I get CC'd. Mostly it seemed to be when I had thought I had a good reliable source of non-gluten food. For instance I ordered hard boiled eggs for breakfast from room service. I explained how I needed mine right out of the kitchen and not from the buffet where the hard boiled eggs were in front of the pancakes. The cruise was for 107 days so I would go along for months with no problems with the hard boiled eggs and I wouldn't be taking the GlutenEase with breakfast. Then the room service staff would be rotated off the ship and all of a sudden unknown to me I was ordering from a different person who would get the eggs from the buffet. Not a good reaction on my part but I also had not taken the GlutenEase so it can't be faulted. Usually any reaction I get is because I forget to take the GlutenEase and then I have to take it after the fact. But surprisingly it works really well after the fact. Without it I will be needing to find a restroom in an emergency fashion every 10 min. If I forget to take it and then have an emergency I can take a couple of pills and then be fine. No more problems.

Yes the Dr. Wise Gluten Relief is homeopathic. I've had great success with Cold Calm for colds, Oscillococcinum for flu and several other homeopathic remedies so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm very happy I did as I can't believe how good my stools/bowel movements are. I feel like I'm a normal person for the first time in over 5 years. It is about a 3 month treatment though and I'm only a couple of weeks into it. I also tried their Glandular Calm which did not work well for me. I didn't like the side effects so I e-mailed them about it and they offered to refund my money for it.

#20 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

That's impressive. The studies on GlutenEase-style enzymes didn't look that good. It's wonderful that you found something that works. I thought I was sensitive like you are but my issues turned out to be dairy intolerance. I'm able to eat out if I can get gluten-free/casein-free food.

I'm a little skeptical about homeopathy but the great thing is homeopathic remedies are so safe. If you find one that works for you there is really no downside like with regular drugs or even herbs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: