• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

liliana

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

I want to know if baking food for my son, who has celiac, with food for the other members of the family who eat non gluten-free baked goods is a no!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Flour is light, flies into the air, and will cross-contaminate gluten-free food if you work with both regular and gluten-free flour at the same time. I don't even allow wheat flour in my kitchen. If I had no choice I'd make the gluten-free baked goods first.

I wouldn't worry about putting a gluten-free casserole and a regular one in the oven at the same time.

celiac-mommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

If you're sharing pans, then I'd say no. If you're sharing the oven, then I put the gluten-free stuff on the top rack and the gluten stuff on the rack under.

In my kitchen, only gluten-free stuff is baked in my pans. I have a few pyrex dishes that I have saved just in case I need to do something with gluten. My kitchen is also gluten-free though so that rarely occurs...

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,591 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

Once in a while, my hub makes some cookies for work with "real" flour. He uses the old gluten baking sheets. I clear the counter with the mixer off so its easier to clean later. And put everything away in the kitchen. He uses a plastic cover that came with the mixer. It helps keep flour from flying out. We clean the counter after but still, the next day, there will be a layer of flour that has settled out of the air onto the counter & floor.

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

liliana

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

I want to know if baking food for my son, who has celiac, with food for the other members of the family who eat non gluten-free baked goods is a no!

Thanks for the feedback!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: