4 replies to this topic

#1 liliana

liliana

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

I want to know if baking food for my son, who has celiac, with food for the other members of the family who eat non gluten-free baked goods is a no!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Flour is light, flies into the air, and will cross-contaminate gluten-free food if you work with both regular and gluten-free flour at the same time. I don't even allow wheat flour in my kitchen. If I had no choice I'd make the gluten-free baked goods first.

I wouldn't worry about putting a gluten-free casserole and a regular one in the oven at the same time.

#3 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

If you're sharing pans, then I'd say no. If you're sharing the oven, then I put the gluten-free stuff on the top rack and the gluten stuff on the rack under.

In my kitchen, only gluten-free stuff is baked in my pans. I have a few pyrex dishes that I have saved just in case I need to do something with gluten. My kitchen is also gluten-free though so that rarely occurs...

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

Once in a while, my hub makes some cookies for work with "real" flour. He uses the old gluten baking sheets. I clear the counter with the mixer off so its easier to clean later. And put everything away in the kitchen. He uses a plastic cover that came with the mixer. It helps keep flour from flying out. We clean the counter after but still, the next day, there will be a layer of flour that has settled out of the air onto the counter & floor.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 liliana

liliana

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

I want to know if baking food for my son, who has celiac, with food for the other members of the family who eat non gluten-free baked goods is a no!

Thanks for the feedback!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: