3 replies to this topic

#1 bincongo

bincongo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

I do a lot of baking now and so I order my flour's and starches online,(mostly at Amazon and their subscribe and save program). What I need to know is what needs to be in the fridge or freezer for long term storage. I order at lot at one time and don't use it up quickly.
Dx Celiac July 2010 by Endoscopy biopsy- had Endoscopy for another reason, not for possible Celiac
Lactose intolerant discovered August 2010
Hypothyroid Dx 2009. Sleep Apnea 2005

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Refined starches like cornstarch, potato starch or tapioca can stay in the pantry. Flour ground from whole grains like buckwheat, teff, or brown rice keeps better refrigerated or frozen.

#3 xjrosie

xjrosie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

If you do a lot of baking, it's unlikely that any of your flours and starches need anything special other than an airtight container.

#4 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

I find that typically, whole grain & bean flours should be ok for about two months or so at room temp. That is, in an airtight container, in a relatively cool, dark place. Pure starches I don't use, but I'd guess they'd keep for six months or more under those conditions.

It is also advisable to use containers which are no larger than necessary to hold the amount you keep on hand. This is because exposure to air accelerates spoilage. Keep additional amounts frozen, but always remember to allow frozen packages of flour to reach room temp before opening, so that moisture doesn't condense on it when opened.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: