Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Flour And Starch Storage

4 posts in this topic

I do a lot of baking now and so I order my flour's and starches online,(mostly at Amazon and their subscribe and save program). What I need to know is what needs to be in the fridge or freezer for long term storage. I order at lot at one time and don't use it up quickly.

Ads by Google:

Refined starches like cornstarch, potato starch or tapioca can stay in the pantry. Flour ground from whole grains like buckwheat, teff, or brown rice keeps better refrigerated or frozen.

If you do a lot of baking, it's unlikely that any of your flours and starches need anything special other than an airtight container.

I find that typically, whole grain & bean flours should be ok for about two months or so at room temp. That is, in an airtight container, in a relatively cool, dark place. Pure starches I don't use, but I'd guess they'd keep for six months or more under those conditions.

It is also advisable to use containers which are no larger than necessary to hold the amount you keep on hand. This is because exposure to air accelerates spoilage. Keep additional amounts frozen, but always remember to allow frozen packages of flour to reach room temp before opening, so that moisture doesn't condense on it when opened.